Axle swap and gearing questions.

mjac22

I have a few axle swap and gear ratio questions. This is for a 5.2 V-8 ZJ.

I’m debating going with two different routes here for the axle swap. Option 1: 96-99 XJ HP30, Dana 44a in back. Option 2, Mopar Jk rubicon crate axles. I currently have wheels spacers on it and I would like to not have an additional bearing wear from the spacers but, that gets expensive quickly. Which one would be a better, more reliable swap and why?

Gearing: 4:10s for 32s? 4.56 for 33s? For 4:10, what gear brands have you had good success with that has zero noise? Same for the 4.56s?

Tires: I will be going with 34x10.5r17 KO2 which measure out to 32.25 inches mounted.

Brakes: Vanco with upgraded steering? Or WJ swap? JK swap I will be using the Mopar BBK.

Rear springs: I am debating getting RE 3.5 rear springs but, my F/R swap with the moog progressive rate springs offer a pretty good ride. Would y’all suggest a .75 inch spacers to level it out? Or just wait for the winch to level out the front?

Thanks in advance for all your help and advice!

gatchmo5710

HP30 with a 44 or 8.25. Id stay away from the 44a but its probably the easier swap(bolt in). Everyone who goes 4:10 ends up going 4.56. Do you tow? If so you might want to make this rear sit a little higher than just level and that will justify the 4:56.

mjac22

I am planning on towing a little camper with it. Would an 8.8 be a good option? Also, how much extra stress do wheel spacers put on the axle bearings?

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I'd do an hp30 and c8.25 100% from a 2nd gen XJ. Yeah it will suck a little having to put brackets on the c8.25 but it's not a huge deal.
8.8 is not a good option if you're weary of spacers because they are even narrower than Jeep axles.
For gearing I wouldn't assume you even need to gear it down. What gears do they come with, 3.55 or 3.73? 32" tall tires should not be hard for the 5.2 to push around. The axle option I listed above would come with 3.55's and I would just try them to be honest. One other thing I'd look out for is to make sure the c8.25 doesn't have a limited slip because that kills your ability to throw in an Aussie Locker (or another lunchbox).

astjp2

I will take a 44 over any chrysler 8.25 anyday...Just stay away from the aluminum center section. They have one that has an aluminum cover, but they made one with the aluminum housing and that is the one to avoid. More options available with the 44. Tim

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
HP30 with D44 combination would be good for up to that size tire. Even the Chrysler 8.25 isn't a bad option. If you can get a great deal on JK Dana 44's that would be even better but the biggest reason I see with people not going that route is due to cost. They are not the cheapest option and by the time people buy JK D44's they are pushing the cost of 60's unless they find a smokin' deal.

Personally I'm a fan of the JK D44's if you can buy them right. They are a pretty decent axle and the aftermarket support is great. If you flog on your Jeep very hard they may not be the best option as they do have their limits. We just added JK D44's under my son's WJ and they work perfectly, right down to the ABS brakes and speed sensors, although the ZJ is a bit different design.

As for gearing I would recommend 4.56's for that setup, especially where you want to do some light towing.

Mike

astjp2

I prefer Dana Spicer gears...they run the quietiest and are the OEM gear. They cost more money than an aftermarket chinesium gear. but it is worth the extra expense IMHO. Tim