Axle Whine

My brother in law has a mid-90's chevy half ton that has a pretty decent rear end whine. It is bone stock and he won't likely be doing anything dramatic with it, but the whine worries him. The truck is obviously not worth a lot. What is the most economical approach besides turning the stereo up? Just swap a junkyard axle in? Rebuild R&P?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
My brother in law has a mid-90's chevy half ton that has a pretty decent rear end whine. It is bone stock and he won't likely be doing anything dramatic with it, but the whine worries him. The truck is obviously not worth a lot. What is the most economical approach besides turning the stereo up? Just swap a junkyard axle in? Rebuild R&P?
It could just be worn carrier bearings.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Says there are no carriers - just a straight driveline. Little bit of play in the pinion (i.e. you can rotate it a bit). Aluminum driveline has a little bit of wobble to it.

Sorry, I meant the R&P carrier bearings/side bearings. I had a side bearing wear prematurely in my Jeep. It was bad enough that it allowed the R&P to shift and wear. I put new bearings on the carrier and shimmer this way and that, but never could get a good pattern. It whines/howls because of the bad pattern, but it's been running like that since August without grenading.

Sorry, I meant the R&P carrier bearings/side bearings. I had a side bearing wear prematurely in my Jeep. It was bad enough that it allowed the R&P to shift and wear. I put new bearings on the carrier and shimmer this way and that, but never could get a good pattern. It whines/howls because of the bad pattern, but it's been running like that since August without grenading.
Ah! That makes sense.