Back country Trailer

OB1

I picked up a M100 1/4 ton army trailer while I was home for Thanksgiving. I want to turn it into a trailer that I can put all my camping gear into and have ready to just grab and go. My problem is I'm working out of state for who know's how long and don't have any time to work on it. I will be home for two weeks around Christmas and New Years but I don't want to impose on anyone during the holidays to help me with it. So what I would like to do is maybe have a fab shop make me a new frame and tongue plus I want to put a metal lid with hinges on top so that I can secure my gear when left behind. I guess what I'm asking is does anyone know a good shop to weld up some these things for me so that I may be able to assemble it when I get a chance. If not I may have to take it with me to ND and work on it there. Thanks for any input. Love this Site.

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
Here's a few suggestions for people I would call... tell them you were on Rocky Mountain Extreme and Ryan with the old portal buggy mentioned they do offroad fab work, all of them will be pretty up front about what they can provide for how much money and on what type of time line.

Mitch at Unlimited Fabrication in Springville UT (801)719-8140

Dylan at Locked Offroad in Salt Lake City UT (801)783-8914

Tyler at Rollover Motorsports in Salt Lake City UT (801)674-5818

OB1

I've decided to go ahead and buy myself a welder and take this project on myself with the help of another RME member to help get me started. I found a welding class for beginners up here in ND. When I get back to UT for Christmas I'll be taking the trailer project back with me. I'll try my first build tread with it and will be taking pics. I've always been more of a do it yourself kind of guy. Wish me luck.

Box Rocket

bored
I've decided to go ahead and buy myself a welder and take this project on myself with the help of another RME member to help get me started. I found a welding class for beginners up here in ND. When I get back to UT for Christmas I'll be taking the trailer project back with me. I'll try my first build tread with it and will be taking pics. I've always been more of a do it yourself kind of guy. Wish me luck.

I think you'll be glad you went this way. Having your own welder and being able to make stuff the way you want them is nice and I value doing my own work when I can. I'm sure you'll feel the same kind of satisfaction. Of course, let me know if I can be of assistance.

OB1

I think you'll be glad you went this way. Having your own welder and being able to make stuff the way you want them is nice and I value doing my own work when I can. I'm sure you'll feel the same kind of satisfaction. Of course, let me know if I can be of assistance.
You'll be the first to know. Seeing your build was inspiring.

Lord Al Sorna

Harebrained Scheming
I am in the process of fabricating an off road trailer myself (no build page yet but maybe in the future). The good news is, with the amount of welding required for this project's completion even if your welds are a little boogery starting out, you will be laying perfect bead after perfect bead by the time your done! Super rewarding project for me so far and I haven't even had the thing out of the garage...

OB1

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398878532.997321.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398878558.098162.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398878578.116878.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398878613.103520.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398878630.287661.jpg
We'll I've been doing some welding and putting together the frame for the tub. The new mig welder is sweet. I have the frame mostly tacked together. I hope to have it all welded up before the weekend. So far I'm happy with the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OB1

Spent some time tonight welding on the trailer. Just had to through the tub and fenders on to see the fit. It almost looks like the axle is to far forward but I think it will set back a little when more weight is added. What do you all think?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398994347.289623.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398994360.588242.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398994385.273777.jpg

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Looks too far forward to me. I very much doubt it will move back any noticeable amount when the springs compress. Mostly because trailer springs don't compress much.:)

OB1

It's a good thing it's just tacked in place. I'll cut it loose and move it back tonight.

Zac001

any idea where i can find another trailer just like that one?? ive searched everywhere and i cant find one. im looking to pull it behind my old CJ5 for parades and such

OB1

They're not easy to come by. I got this one from a guy who had two any made one good one and sold me the parts he didn't use. That's why I'm having to make the frame. I love the CJ5 your working on. I miss my old Willy's CJ5 I used to have.

Zac001

They're not easy to come by. I got this one from a guy who had two any made one good one and sold me the parts he didn't use. That's why I'm having to make the frame. I love the CJ5 your working on. I miss my old Willy's CJ5 I used to have.

thats why you should contribute to a good cause and sell me your trailer so i can have a bad ass accessory to tow behind mine lol

OB1

thats why you should contribute to a good cause and sell me your trailer so i can have a bad ass accessory to tow behind mine lol

Well I am a Veteran of 20 years in the Air Force but naaaa! I think I'll keep it for a while. I'll let you know if I come across another one. Driving back to Utah today from North Dakota. I'll keep an eye out.

Zac001

well 20 years.... thats awesome.. i wanted to be a lifer but i got in a pretty major car accident that made me get out after 6 years

OB1

Just saw a yellow M100 like mine sitting in a field in N. Rexburg Idaho about mile marker 335 on US 20. I may need to stop and check it out on my way back to ND next weekend.

OB1

Finally got back to moving the axle back an inch. Looks a lot better. Had an audience a local barn yard cat named Norman. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400381943.846737.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1400381956.012000.jpg