Back in the saddle again!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I picked up another dual-sport bike over the weekend and I'm quite excited about it. I have really regretted selling the yellow '05 DR650 over the winter, but after getting laid-off, it was the smart thing to do. I've been back to work for about 6 weeks now and the itch to get another bike was getting stronger as the work days went by.

My riding preference has been changing since I owned my DRZ, I've been getting into Adventure riding and needed the ideal bike for doing such. I had been thinking about a few different bikes; An older KTM 640 Adventure, Honda XR650R and Honda XR650L. Each bike has its strengths and weaknesses and depending on what you want, one of those bikes should do the job.

After outfitting my old DR650 with a Corbin seat, larger gas tank, skid plate, etc, etc, it killed me to sell it at book value. I decided if I was going to buy another bike, I wanted to buy one that was already outfitted for Adventure riding, so I didn't have that expense again. So I knew what I wanted and how I wanted it to be put together.

I didn't mind my DR650, but was really interested in owning a KTM Adventure... IMO that's the ideal Adventure bike! Almost an 8 gallon tank, large fairing, decent sized seat and all the quality parts KTM's are put together with. I looked at a couple and was pretty excited about them, but ended up finding something different... I found a '07 DR650 on ADVRider.com that was put together quite well. Here's the list of mods-

- FMF pipe and Q2 muffler
- Dynojet kit with carb screws, extended fuel screw
- Keintech choke conversion
- Rack, chain rollers, Emgo handguards, UFO fender, alum. skid plate
- Keintech front and rear springs, Superbrace fork brace, Seal Savers
- Koubalink lowered suspension
- Corbin seat
- Aqualine Safari 32 liter tank (actual capacity almost 9 gallons)
- Slipstreamer Spitfire S06 windscreen
- Almost new Avon Gripsters

It's setup for a bit more road riding than I'm looking to do, but I think I will keep the road tires and windscreen for those big pavement rides. It does need some minor mods to make it mine, knobbies, different bars with a taller rise, gear it down for dirt, raise the suspension back up, etc. The carb mods and exhaust make a big difference, it runs much better than my stock-engine'd '05 DR650. It gets up to 80 MPH effortlessly and still has power to pass at that point.

The gas tank is the first thing people see, it's massive! It holds just over 8 gallons, meaning I will have around 400 miles of riding range! :rofl: Pics don't do justice to the size of the tank, but the good thing is that the width of the tank also acts as a fairing, keeping wind off the rider. Speaking of fairings, the windscreen is a bit odd looking on a 'dirtbike', but it's really nice at freeway speeds. It keeps the wind off my body, reducing fatigue over long rides. It will get pulled off for big dirt rides, but is a nice option.

Anywho, here's pics of the DR Supertanker... :D

582542119_4jwPj-M.jpg

582542182_wbqAa-M.jpg

582542156_J2SnU-M.jpg

Greg

Admin
I want to plan out some big rides and really use this bike to its full potential. I'd like to ride the Continental Divide trail from Colorado up to Canada this year, then the Trans-American trail next year. I plan to make some smaller rides too, would love to spend some time around Lake Powell, the San Rafael Swell, etc.

Corban_White

You're right, that is big! All that extra weight would kill my style but our "short" 100 mile ride last week was plenty long for me. I'm not into that kind of riding like you are. Congrats on no longer being confined to 4 wheels anyhow!!! :D:D:D

Greg

Admin
You're right, that is big! All that extra weight would kill my style but our "short" 100 mile ride last week was plenty long for me. I'm not into that kind of riding like you are. Congrats on no longer being confined to 4 wheels anyhow!!! :D:D:D

It's not for everyone, but the tank isn't as bad as you'd think because the weight is low. It's wide between the legs, but isn't too noticeable while riding around. While riding offroad the width throws me off a little, hopefully I'll get used to it. I'm planning to do a lot of multi-day trips and this is a great start.

I took the bike out of the freeway tonight and it runs down the freeway comfortably at 85 MPH (indicated). That's probably just under 80 in reality, but that's plenty of speed. The windscreen is great, really keeps the buffeting off my upper body.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
That's sweet Greg! but... :confused:

KTM's are for people who like working on their bikes first, riding second. :p

:rofl: I've been seriously considering a KTM as well :eek: A little different flavor, however, 200exc

Greg

Admin
That's sweet Greg! but... :confused:

:rofl: I've been seriously considering a KTM as well :eek: A little different flavor, however, 200exc

I'll stick to my comment, KTM's are great bikes but have a very frequent maint. schedule. Many models are built as out of the box, race-ready bikes with high-performance parts. There require a good deal of work per hours ridden vs. most Jap bikes.

I looked at KTM 525EXC to build as an Adventure-riding bike, but they seem to develop valve issues as the miles go by. A friend of mine had a valve come apart on his 525, resulting in a spendy engine rebuild.

I was interested in a KTM Adventure 640, which is a badass bike for what I want to do, but for the cost of a 640 I would get a much newer Jap bike with much less mileage, that was built with lots of goodies, so I did. This new DR650 is my attempt at making a Suzuki similar to a KTM 640 Adventure, but cheaper and more reliable. ;)

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Nice bike Greg :greg: DR's are sweet and that bike is a model of reliability.

My question is: When are you going to bring that up to the Northern most part of Utah?! :D

Greg

Admin
Nice bike Greg :greg: DR's are sweet and that bike is a model of reliability.

My question is: When are you going to bring that up to the Northern most part of Utah?! :D

That's a good question, as I have no plans to ride up that way or know of any good areas. I would live to ride some of the easier parts of AFC soon enough, but that may be as far North as I get for now.

Can you recommend any good dual sport loops up that way? I would love to ride up into Idaho and Montana on the backroads, that would be a good time!

Greg

Admin
Sounds good, just as long as it's not AFC to Price to Duchesne to Evanston to Logan and back Mr. super tanker. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I actually was considering making a big ride out of it, coming from my place, up thru Vernal, over to Strawberry Res. and down into Ut Valley by way of Hobble Creek Canyon. :rofl: Then going on a AFC ride... :p

Greg

Admin
Wouldn't mind meeting up at strawberry res. and finishing with you. I love the area between there and Hoble Creek.

That would be cool!

I have a lot of work to do on the bike before it's ready for a ride like that, it needs knobbies, different bars, carb re-jetted, etc. Mabey we'll put something together for August...?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I want to plan out some big rides and really use this bike to its full potential. I'd like to ride the Continental Divide trail from Colorado up to Canada this year, then the Trans-American trail next year. I plan to make some smaller rides too, would love to spend some time around Lake Powell, the San Rafael Swell, etc.

Let me know when you are headed my direction and I will take you out around the swell.