Backcountry business.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I have a Luggable Loo that I'm not terrible infatuated with - unstable in use, and the bucket takes up a lot of space in the truck. I've used groovers on river trips, and I don't find them awesome for largely the same reasons. I'm wondering if the PETT is any better? Looks like it packs up a little smaller, and has a broader base when unpacked, and has the decency to not look like a portable toilet when packed - who has firsthand experience with one?

http://www.amazon.com/Cleanwaste-GO...1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393410219&sr=8-1&keywords=pett

Last edited:

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
I own one. The oval-shaped seat is key. The round toilet seat force me to make key decisions in regards to junk placement if I don't want to pee on the ground as I poop in the bucket.

Kooler than Mudd.

I've used the 5 gal bucket with a gamma lid and a cheap toilet seat from walmart. Add some RV dry toilet chem to a little shaker "Mrs Dash" bottle and smell is completely controlled. You just "season" each deposit with a shake of "Mrs Dash" and your day is happy.

VerdeXJ

Skip the box, just use the bags. I had the same issues with the luggable loo. After a week long camp out, I didn't want to put it inside the Jeep, I dutifully strapped it to the top. Well after several trail miles, it leaked with every bump. It's not very portable, nor compact.

The WAG bags are the way to go. I just use the bag, not their bag holder. The waste is double sealed, throw it in your garbage bag and call it good. The poo powder breaks down the solids.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I made a bumper dumper also, super nice for when nature calls or if the other gender is tagging along.

DAA

I roll with one of these.

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-887Crapper.jpg

Just a cheapo from Walmart. I only use it when I have to in order to meet regulations for an area - like the Dollhouse, where that picture was taken yesterday morning. But when I have to pack out my turds, it gets the job done with no untoward gymnastics required to keep church and state separated.. Not sure about the logistics of junk for anyone else though.

- DAA

MOODY

Bald Guy
I've had a PETT for years. They work well. Bags are expensive, but if you buy a 200 pack and you look around there are deals. I generally only use it when I am in areas that require it, as Dave said. I've had rangers want to see it, even heading out into the Dollhouse.

My friends use what they call the 'Trail Head'. It is a folding chair with a toilet seat attached to the butt end of things. Big deep hole underneath it, voila!

Tortoise

Say it once, do it now!
Dropping a deuce while overlooking the Maze District was a magical experience. It was one of the most memorable times I had while I was a Park Ranger there...