backpacking gear recomendations?

Houndoc

I have not done significant backpacking in more years than I should admit.

However, will be part of the leadership taking scouts on a 6 day/50 mile Kings Peak trip this summer.

Time to start getting the gear!

The two main things I need to buy are a back packing stove and of course a pack.

I want quality that will hold up to trail use (hopefully new Scout assignment will get me more trail time) and pack that will be reasonably comfortable, but with the economy impact on business, need to be wise with the $ as well.

Suggestions?

Some of the packs I have seen ads for that seem reasonable price include Kelty (esp. Red Cloud 5600), North Face Extreme 80 and a bunch of other brands I have never heard of (Caribee etc etc.) Anyone have personal experience with any of these?

sixstringsteve

I was in the the same situation last year. I only go backpacking once or twice a year, so I didn't want to spend $300+ on a pack. (Actually, I have a strange obsession with nice camping gear, so I did want to spend $300 on a pack, but I knew I wouldn't use it enough to justify the purchase)

I had the same requirements for my pack I bought a year ago. I went to recreation outlet and they set me up with this pack:

http://www.recreationoutlet.com/p-69-high-peak-pocatello-70-backpack.aspx

It's bright blue (not my favorite color, but it's growing on me), but it is a GREAT pack. I've had it on about 20 overnighters, and a week-long scout camp. When I was a little scout I used a $300 jansport pack, and I like my current pack more. It's got an internal frame, and it's well made. It's kinda ugly, but I sure love it. It's got a rainfly in the bottom pouch, and the fly covers the entire pack. The pockets are in the right places, and it has great capacity and accessability.

Can't help you with a stove, but I do recommend checking out recreation outlet. Great prices, and if you're not climbing everest, the quality is fine.

It's tough for me not to buy the best camping gear all the time, because I want to convince myself that I'll go camping more if I have really nice gear. I thought I'd give this pack a try and see if I liked it or not. I absolutely love this pack. It's worth about $150 to me. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

On a side note, I did go high-end on the tent, and it really proved to be worth it. With the high winds we sometimes get, I needed something sturdy and well-built, yet light. I snagged a nice REI tent and I've been beyond thrilled with it.

Happy searching.

Last edited:

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I'll have to keep an eye on this thread. I'll be doing Grandaddy Basin this year, going back for the first time since I was a scout probably 15 or 16 years ago. Hopefully you get a lot of input.

I like the Alps Mountaineering products for packs and sleeping bags. High quality and reasonable price. You can buy their products for a huge discount through your relationship with BSA and via the website http://scoutdirect.com/ .

Scoutmaster, Troop 886 (Just up the road from you)

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
ok.. If you are just getting into it your first step is to get fitted for the pack that will fit you best. So go to Kirkhams or REI and plan on spending an hour getting fitted for your pack... Ask them to fit you and show you everything there is to know about whatever pack they recommend. pay attention to the torso length and how they play with the adjustments. have them put 30lbs in the pack and walk around the store for a while.. if anything hurts complain about it to them and they will help you adjust it..
Now while they have been fitting you you have just learned the basics of how to fit a pack for you.. now check out Rec outlet (Mesha on here can probably hook you up in the Utah county) and find something that fits and feels similar or even better for a decent price in the size range you need for your gear..

Don't and I repeat DON'T buy a pack just because someone else says they like it.. buy it because you have tried it on and know that it fits you, how you walk, your back etc. (I love gregory packs personally)

Stove is going to depend on a couple of things..
1. what are you eating? does this mean actual cooking or do you just need to boil water?
2. are you patient or do you want it fast?
Once you have those questions fulfilled stove choice can be made but until then you can end up with a stove that won't suit you and your needs.

If you would like to come over here I have a bunch of packs, and quite a few stoves and would be happy to show you some ins and outs and let you try things out :)

Although it wouldn't be obvious now, I was a backpacking fool back in the day (10 years ago). I have almost 2 of everything, and all of it was top-of-the-line 10 years ago. So I'll chime in with some advice.

ok.. If you are just getting into it your first step is to get fitted for the pack that will fit you best. So go to Kirkhams or REI and plan on spending an hour getting fitted for your pack... Ask them to fit you and show you everything there is to know about whatever pack they recommend. pay attention to the torso length and how they play with the adjustments. have them put 30lbs in the pack and walk around the store for a while.. if anything hurts complain about it to them and they will help you adjust it..

This is excellent advice. The important factors are:

1. Size: does it carry everything you need for the length of the trip.
2. Torso Length: most packs are adjustable to move the positioning of the shoulder straps and hip belt.
3. Durability: go with a good brand and you get what you pay for. Expect to pay $100-$120+ for a good pack, although very good packs can be as much as $250-$300 or more.

FWIW, I have a Kelty pack that I've had for 15 years and it's great. It's the older version of the modern Kelty Redwing design. More of a 2-day style pack, but I did use it for a 7-day 80 mile trek through Big Bend one time. I had my tent, rain poncho/tarp and a few other items strapped to the outside.

http://www.ebags.com/product/kelty/...GOOGFEED&couponid=40959822&CAWELAID=330994190

Stove is going to depend on a couple of things..
1. what are you eating? does this mean actual cooking or do you just need to boil water?
2. are you patient or do you want it fast?

And, how many are you cooking for? Yourself? 2-3?

I have one like this. For $25 it's a good 1 or 2 man stove:

http://www.rei.com/product/636832

I've used mine a LOT, and no problems. Uses a small screw-on canister.

If you're just re-heating meals (or making hot-chocolate) for yourself, you can get away with something like this:

http://www.rei.com/product/653343

Uses a little fuel tablet similar to sterno. Cheap, lightweight and inexpensive.

DOSS

I am a DIY alcohol stove guy 90% of the time.. its A. fun to build them B. Cheap and C. fun to build them :)

I hate esbit personally.. there is a colman screw on canister that you can get at wally world that actually is rather nice, ingiter and all for $25 too

I second a good pack if you plan to use it for more than 1 year.. even some of the lightweight stuff is pretty tough quality is important :) Like I said the offer stands to show you some gear and let you play with it :)

Corban_White

For the backpack you should definitely look at Vaude. It is an European brand so it is a little less common but a very good brand. The numbers after the model name indicate the capacity in liters. I have the Accept 65+10 and I have loved it. It is as good as the $300 packs I looked at but half the price.

15266_3810_7.png

I got mine from Liberty Mountain. They are an importer/wholesaler but they do sell to the public. They have some very good prices but it is best to know what you want before going there. It is essentially just a warehouse.

For the stove I HIGHLY recomend the Jetboil.

file_29_1.jpg

It will boil 2 cups of water in 90 sec (or less), all the parts store in the cup including the fuel canister, and one fuel canister will last quite a long time. Several week long trips in my experience. They also have a larger pot that will go on the stove:

4428963100_db2bfc3215.jpg

That's my .02. :)

Last edited:
I am a DIY alcohol stove guy 90% of the time.. its A. fun to build them B. Cheap and C. fun to build them :)

Yes, a good (and free) alternate for using an esbit or similar.

For the stove I HIGHLY recomend the Jetboil.

It will boil 2 cups of water in 90 sec (or less), all the parts store in the cup including the fuel canister, and one fuel canister will last quite a long time. Several week long trips in my experience. They also have a larger pot that will go on the stove:

That's my .02. :)

Absolutely agreed! Jetboils are sweet if it's within your price range, worth the $100.

DOSS

Jetboil is great if all you are doing is boiling water :) again you need to cater your gear to how you are going to be eating, sleeping, hiking etc..

sixstringsteve

no kidding. Someone needs to make a tent that's easy to get out of at 12 AM, 2 AM, and 4 AM to go yell at the scouts who won't stop talking :D

Last campout i tried just yelling "hey, keep it down" but they were talking so loud they couldn't even hear me :eek:

Actually, i have a better idea. It's a sleeping bag with legs with integrated boots at the bottom, like fishing waders. That way you can climb out of your tent and still be in your sleeping bag when you go over to talk to 'em :D

Last edited:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I work on thursday this week. If you can make come and see me and we can get you taken care of. I don't care if you buy anything( although I can give you a discount:)). Just come and let me show you some different features and how to properly fit a pack. we have about 20 different stoves you can light up and play with. Pm me if you have any questions.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Talking about Boy Scouts. The only way I found to shut them up was to collapse their tents on them. They were noisy putting them back up but they got the idea. Also those that made the most noise at night had clean up duty in the morning.