Backpacking in bear country

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
I had no idea that bear problems were this common.

Black bears killed since July 1
July 1 » A camper on Taylor Mountain in Uintah County attempted to scare away a bear hanging around a camp trailer in the late evening by waving his arms, then shot it with a .22-caliber pistol after it kept coming and growled.

July 3 » A campground host in Hobble Creek Canyon in Utah County fired a warning shot from a shotgun, then shot the bear when it didn't run off.

July 4 » A cabin owner in the South Fork of Provo Canyon in Utah County used a .30-06 rifle to shoot a bear that remained in the area after unsuccessfully attempting to scare it off by hitting it with pieces of wood and firing a .22 rifle into the air.

July 11 » A rancher on the northern end of Boulder Mountain in Garfield County found a dead calf and a bear chasing another calf and shot the bear.

July 12 » A camper near Barker Reservoir on the east side of Boulder Mountain in Garfield County shot a bear around 4 a.m. after attempts to scare it away failed.

Aug. 5 » A landowner in Garfield County shot a bear after making attempts to scare it off with dogs. The bear was eating garbage from a Dumpster and grain stored in the bed of a pickup.

Aug. 21 » Campers in Desolation Canyon along the Green River shot a bear that attacked a member of their party.

EROK81?

Sell out
I had no idea that bear problems were this common.

Damn...I didn't want to know that. :sick:

If you search black bears on wikipedia it tells you all of the human deaths from them. One story they found the guy skeleton only with one boot on -foot intact. :rofl: