Baja 1000 - Trophy Truck by Mt. Logan

hilltj

It's been a while, but I went over to visit the boys at Mt. Logan and had to take some pictures of their latest project. Nate is building a Trophy Truck that will be raced in this year's Baja 1000, then the owner is going to drive it around the world (bring on the snorkel jokes).

First the pictures, then I'll find the real information:

200509%20005%20(Small).jpg

200509%20002%20(Small).jpg

200509%20001%20(Small).jpg

200509%20006%20(Small).jpg

200509%20007%20(Small).jpg

hilltj

I was asking about the trip and John forwarded an email from the owner. I asked permission to post it, so here it is for all to enjoy. How would it be?

<Email sent to John at Mt. Logan - from the owner of the truck>
John,

As you know, the around-the-world portion of the project is a search for the best fly fishing destinations. The advantage of driving around the world is that I’ll be able to spend as much or as little time in the countries along the route. In addition to traveling to some of the most recognized destinations world-wide, traveling by vehicle will allow me to fish all the unknown spots along the way as well.

The trip will begin in June 2006 with a 1,900 mile float trip down the Yukon River in Canada and Alaska. This will be accomplished in a custom-built dory (a river-going version of the vehicle) that I designed and built 4 years ago for a similar adventure. That trip was terminated after 1,200 miles due to weather and insufficient river flows.

While I’m on the Yukon, the vehicle and trailer will be shipped to Sydney, Australia. I will meet up with it there and begin a 15,000 mile clockwise circumvention of the country. What Australia lacks in freshwater fishing, they more than make up for with salt water. Among the species I’ll pursue are sharks, marlin and tuna.

Next the vehicle will travel to New Zealand where I will spend 3 months hitting all the best fishing spots. I’ve been to NZ before, and I can say with total confidence that there is more than enough fishing to fill 3 months of time. It’s a truly spectacular country.

Next the vehicle will be shipped to Vladivostok, Russia. I’ll pick it up there and begin a 25,000 mile drive across the Asian and European continents. First I’ll travel north along the East border of China to Yakutsk. From there I’ll head southwest to Mongolia to fish for the elusive taimen, the largest salmonoid in the world. After Mongolia, I’ll re-enter Russia and drive west to the Kola Peninsula (with many side trips, of course) which borders Finland. The Kola is home to some of the best salmon fishing. Then I’ll drive into Finland, Norway and Sweden. Crossing into mainland Europe, I’ll pass through Gemany and the Netherlands before dropping the vehicle off in Antwerp, Belgium for shipment to Buenos Aires. While it’s in route, I’ll travel to South Africa to fish for tigerfish.

After the rendezvous in Buenos Aires, I’ll travel south to Tierra del Fuego (the southernmost tip of South America), before beginning a 30,000 mile drive north to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. I’ll be fishing and passing through Argentina, Chile, Bolivia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Colomia, Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Guatemala and Mexico before entering the United States. In the U.S. I’ll hit a few of my favorite fishing spots before continuing onto Canada and finally Alaska.

The trip should take about 2 years and cover around 75,000 miles. I will visit and fish at least 25 different countries for over 100 different species of fish. However, to say that this is just a long fishing trip would be inaccurate and impossible. Fishing is a common thread that runs through the fabric of time and cultures. I intend on immersing myself in the traditions and customs of each of the communities that I visit so that I may better understand the people and cultures that compose our world.

I will be attending the World Fly Fishing Expo in Denver on September 8-10 to develop the media and fishing manufacturer contacts. There is a plethora of fly fishing publications that will have interest in the expedition and I have no doubt that I’ll be able to secure a couple of agreements to provide content.

In addition to 3rd party exposure, the trip will be documented to the smallest detail on my website www.flyfishingtheworld.net. The website will be updated regularly with text, pictures and video. Of course, the vehicle will be featured prominently in all correspondence as it is the means by which all of this adventure and travel is made possible.

I am certain that an undertaking of this magnitude has never been attempted before. From the building of the purpose-specific vehicle to the Baja 1000 race and the around-the-world adventure, everyone directly or indirectly involved in this project with come away with more than a few stories to tell.

Give me a call if you have any questions and need more detail.

Thanks!

Dan

tv_larsen

Very nice. :greg:

Althought the NV4500 is a little surprising. It makes sense for the world trip, but seems odd for a Baja 1000 truck. I guess it's a compromise. :cool:

What are you wearing?
Cool truck, but I hope for the Baja 1000 they really dont want to straight axle the front. I guess since its a trip around the world it makes sense, but a trophy truck is going to be IFS.

Good luck with it though, sounds like someone has alot of money and knows how to use it.

Last edited:

MattL

Some one has some cha ching..

That is way cool some one can, want, is willing to do this.

I would be very intrested in hearing and seeing the vehicle come along.

What is the specs of the vehicle?

Is the driver from logan?

IFS would have been a better choice if the truck was only being used for Baja. If we had more time to build the truck we would have done a custom ifs/4wd set up in the front. The Baja 1000 is a small part of the trucks intended usage. The 75K mile around the world trip is the main use. The front is using 18" travel Sway Away triple bypass shocks, 18" coil overs, and air bumps, the rear is using Camburg Engineering Lower arms with coil overs and triple bypass shocks that should yield 30" of travel in the rear along with air bumps. We are using Summit Machine Large Jimmy Joints, and aluminum arms for the front suspension and on the rear uppers as well. The front will be a 4 link with a track bar and the rear will be a triangulated 4 link. We have a Ron Davis Radiator coming, the nicest seats I have ever sat in (Mastercraft 3-D), 66 gal custom fuel safe gas tank, 540hp GM 6.0L built by Redline Engines, NV4500 with Six States Ceramic Clutch, Atlas II Transfercase, and Six States Drive shafts. The engine has been set back 4" in the chassis, a new firewall had to be built to accomodate this. The Baja 1000 race wil be divided into 3 sections. Dan Cook the owner of the truck will start the race, Johnny G and his brother Kip will take the second section, and Nate and John Williams are finishing the race. We are competing in the Trophy Class against Robby Gordon, Herbst, etc. Our goal is to finish the race, not necessarily to win or finish at the top. Nate and Dan will be prerunning from Nov 7th till the race begins. We get to keep the truck until after the Easter Jeep Safari.

neagtea

Supporting Member
Tt

Looks good. What rear diff.? chrisman or cone.
I hope you have a real stout rear bumper. The class ones, tens,8's and sevens will be knocking on it.

Dynatrac is building a custom 40 Spline Dana 70. Jack at CTM is broaching the Detroit Lockers side gears to 40 spline. We built a nice removable/replaceable rear bumper. We are prepared for some hittin from behind. We are just excited for the opportunity to build the car and drive in the race. If the owner likes racing he is going to let us build a new trophy truck (2wd, IFS, more hp, etc) while he is on the trip and we will race both trucks when he returns. During prerunning we are going to experiment with driving in 4wd which will take some of the load off of the rear axle.

neagtea

Supporting Member
Nice fab
The reason i asked is unless you run a full float the rear wheel brgs only last 200 miles if ya are running hard especially if the course goes over by san felipe, (the beach sections) by zoo road are endless woops And the last time I ran that part was in 1996 I am sure it is alot rougher now. Good luck it will be somthing ya won't forget
The cone,summers,crisman have two very large brg's close together.

Last edited:

Ohms

'Poser Wheeler
Mt. Logan Update

I spoke with Jon this morning. They have been extremely busy on alot of projects, and Sat. was horrible news for the Mt. Logan family. One of their freinds/customers was Justin Cunningham (The young man who was killed while trying to save his dog from drowning)

As you can imagine this is a tough thing to go through especially when we as shops become as good of freinds as we all do with customers-they become family.

If anyone knew Justin-An avid offroader and would like to attend his viewing, I will have the time and date as soon as Jon gets it to me.

Thanks for reading this, if anyone wants to call Mount Logan,and tell them to keep their head up, their phone number is (435)752-4272.

Matt Holm
Outer Limit Motorsports

Thanks for all of the support shown by members on the board. Justin was a great guy and will be remembered and missed by all who knew him. Justin would do anything for anyone. He was always willing to give of himself to help another out. We all considered ourselves lucky to have a friend like him. We will miss him around the shop, in every day life and on the trail more than he will ever know. Thanks again for all of your support.
John

Dash is done minus the GPS that should be here any day. Warn 9.5 XP Winch is installed. The front axle should be here tomorrow along with the triple bypass shocks from Sway Away, the Fuel Safe 66 gallon cell should be here aswell. I think we have crammed a project I would have liked to spend 6 months on into 2 months. Many late nights to come. The bed sides, hood and grill should show up tomorrow after a fresh coat of paint from Wolford's Collision.

Attachments

• Baja Truck 044.jpg
    Baja Truck 044.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Baja Truck 048.jpg
    Baja Truck 048.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 59