Bart's 2007 JKUR

Many of you know that I sold my beloved CYJ last week and started down a new path for wheeling. I've reached the point in life where I wanted something more comfortable to wheel and really wanted to drive a Jeep around town again. Also wanted to do some scenic stuff and have a trip to Silverton planned later this year. A friend made me a good deal on a fairly well built 2007 JK Rubicon and so it begins. It has 61,000 miles, a 3.5" Full Traction lift and sporting 35" BFGs for now. Also has a Ripp Supercharger, Kilby On Board Air plumbed front and rear, and a few other goodies. One thing I'll be removing this weekend is a 13 gallon auxiliary gas tank that is filled through the regular gas cap with a separate gauge and transfer pump. Cool idea and great for extra miles, but I don't need that kind of range.

Short term plans are upgrading to 37s and improving the ride a bit. Future plans include adding the Tera CRD60 I picked up from Davy, and then upgrading the front axle at some time. Way future is to transplant a 5.3 into it for better power and mpg. I don't want a power house, just something that can get me down the road at 80 without struggling. 118600118601

Bart

Thanks guys, and really appreciate it. Another improvement that I just got on last night was a 10th Anniversary Rubicon hood that I found and had painted. The funny thing was that ordered the new Rubi stickers when I bought the Jeep and was going to put them on the old hood, so they have been collecting dust for a while. I'm pretty happy with the way this is turning out. I really think that after I get the CRD 60 in, I will be finished building this until the LS swap down the road. I am loving the way this drives down the road and am looking forward to warmth and comfort at EJS next week.

IMG_5757.jpgIMG_5761.jpg

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I like that hood. I've wanted one for my Jeep as well and really would have liked to have it when I did my LS engine because I could have used the extra bit of clearance. Getting the engine cover to clear the OEM standard hood was challenging.

Maybe something will fall on my hood and I can convince the wife I need a new one.:D

Mike

Bart

Maybe something will fall on my hood and I can convince the wife I need a new one.:D
Mike

That is funny. If I ever do the LS swap I will make the hood louvers more functional.

On a separate note, it's all loaded up and ready to head to Moab this afternoon. First time using this configuration with this Jeep and I know it's at least 1000 lbs heavier than my old CJ, but they both ride the same on the flat deck. We will start out slow and see how it goes.

IMG_5762.jpg

Bart

While in Moab at EJS and a few times since I noticed how low the rear lower control arm mount hangs for the long arms. I was disappointing with getting hung up on several easy obstacles and trying to figure a way to move it up without destroying the geometry. I finally took the lazy way out and decided to try 39" KM2s. We ran Rusty Nail with that configuration and it did much better but still seemed to struggle on steep climbs. I finally decided the big girl needed to go on a diet. I found a good deal on a Crawler Conceptz skinny rear bumper and began the operation. It requires the removal of the rear cross member and a section of the rear frame rails. Measure twice and cut once did not do the trick. I'm thinking it was about 30 different cuts and grinds to finally get the bumper to fit, but I'm extremely happy with the result. I've still got a ton of wiring to do to get the 3rd brake light, license plate light, cb antenna, and new rear view camera to work, but I think I lost over 250 lbs from the rear of the rig. I will be adding a new rear cross member but you get the idea.IMG_5983.jpgIMG_5984.jpgIMG_5976.jpgIMG_6046.jpgIMG_6048.jpgIMG_6050.jpgIMG_6051.jpg

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Well, the lazy way looks to me like the right way! It’s amazing how proportional 40s look on those.

Bart

I've been told about those Nemesis sliders and wonder how much they would really help. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of this?

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
You won't regret it. I was waffling on buying a newer one last year but still wasn't that impressed with them after driving several for extended periods of time so opted to just stick to my original plan of an LS that I had been contemplating/planning for the past several years.

My Jeep is going to be rolling over the 100k mile mark this weekend and now after about 7500 miles on my LS I still find myself grinning like an idiot every time I turn the ignition. I haven't even had the radio on in the past six months because I just love the quiet, throaty sound of that V8.

Mike

Bart

Since I added the CRD 60 I needed to figure out how to get the front locker to work and wire and plumb the Zip locker in the rear. Luckily the JK came with a Kibly OBA system so that was in place. It took me a while to figure out where I wanted to add switches and how to run the systems. I also wanted to get a small light bar on the front and add rock lights before Trail Hero. Time is running short and I may not get everything in.

Figured the A pillar switch pod was the easiest location and then decided where to add the 4 new relays and finally ran some wires. As of now I have both lockers working and am wired for lights.
swtich1.jpgswitch4.jpgswitch3.jpg
switch2.jpg