Bart's 2007 JKUR

Many of you know that I sold my beloved CYJ last week and started down a new path for wheeling. I've reached the point in life where I wanted something more comfortable to wheel and really wanted to drive a Jeep around town again. Also wanted to do some scenic stuff and have a trip to Silverton planned later this year. A friend made me a good deal on a fairly well built 2007 JK Rubicon and so it begins. It has 61,000 miles, a 3.5" Full Traction lift and sporting 35" BFGs for now. Also has a Ripp Supercharger, Kilby On Board Air plumbed front and rear, and a few other goodies. One thing I'll be removing this weekend is a 13 gallon auxiliary gas tank that is filled through the regular gas cap with a separate gauge and transfer pump. Cool idea and great for extra miles, but I don't need that kind of range.

Short term plans are upgrading to 37s and improving the ride a bit. Future plans include adding the Tera CRD60 I picked up from Davy, and then upgrading the front axle at some time. Way future is to transplant a 5.3 into it for better power and mpg. I don't want a power house, just something that can get me down the road at 80 without struggling. 118600118601

Bart

I found some used beadlocks in St George that I couldn't pass them up and thanks to Paul (Anderson750) picking them up, I was able to get those a couple of weeks ago. The rings had been painted orange at one time and then stripped and looked pretty rough. Over the weekend I did some flapper wheel and polishing on them. They are not perfect but look a lot better. I'm going to beat them up anyway. I didn't get a before pic but the pic of the back looks close to what the front looked like. Those are getting mounted today.
bl1.jpgbl2.jpg

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Nice Bart, love the direction you're taking the JKU! How different/challenging is this thing on hard trails than previous rigs?

Bart

With any new rig there's always a learning curve when doing trails for the first time. So far I've been impressed. In fact I was able to crawl the wall early in the Maze last Friday, and was not able to do that in the Ranger buggy, or the tan CJ. Must be a wheelbase thing. There are other places where it's not quite as good as the CJ but I'm happy to wheel it and continue to tweek it as needed.

My Trail Hero weekend was hectic and I only got to run the 2 trails I was leading. It did really well on the Maze, and I bent the lame stock drag link on Double Sammy and was in preserve mode after that, avoiding all optional obstacles including the Chute, and that one hurt. I don't want to do too much to the steering because it will have a 60 up front before EJS 2020. Probably going to spring for a ported PSC big bore steering box in preparation for hydro assist when the new axle goes in.

LJTim

That thing is turning into a beast rather quickly. The wall on the maze - Is that a slight notch, around the corner before getting to the optional double waterfall - I call early waterfall? I considered trying that one, but I was mid-gunner and didn't want everyone to follow me. I'd love to run Double Sammy with you. I have recently figured out some new lines on several different gems on and around that trail, including the steep notch straight after the chute.

Bart

My buddies Matt and Dave are both in the process of building their LJ and JKU, repspectivley, with 1 tons and Atlases. Although an Atlas is out of my budget at the moment, I figured I needed a front 60 to keep up with them. I picked this 2007 F250 front 60 up, and just ordered the new style Apex truss, along with new Super Bearings, and a Reid high steer knuckle from Artec Industries. The clean up on this axle is crazy. I think we've dropped over 250lbs by removing the steering and brackets. There's a ton more work to do, but hoping to have this in before EJS.
IMG_6777.jpgIMG_6826.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6825.jpg
    IMG_6825.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 6

LJTim

Are you planning on centering up the diff more or atleast shortening the passenger side tube?
Also curious about this. Maybe just adding spacers to the rear to match up?

What about breaking? I had serious issues mixing axle types on my LJ. I had a JK front axle with a TJ rear axle, and I couldn't get my brakes working well. Once I swapped in my CRD (JK based) rear 60 in, with matched JK brakes, it stops much better. I wonder if you'll have similar issues with the mismatched braking systems?

Agility Customs

Vendor

What about breaking? I had serious issues mixing axle types on my LJ. I had a JK front axle with a TJ rear axle, and I couldn't get my brakes working well. Once I swapped in my CRD (JK based) rear 60 in, with matched JK brakes, it stops much better. I wonder if you'll have similar issues with the mismatched braking systems?

with a properly setup proportioning valve it shouldnt be an issue as long as the master cylinder can move enough volume for the bigger calipers. We have done a ton of these swaps and braking has never really been an issue after some fine tuning.

Bart

Are you planning on centering up the diff more or atleast shortening the passenger side tube?
Wasn't planning on it. What have you guys done with these? I thought I might have to move my frame side trackbar mount.

Thats the plan. Going to run adapters from 5 on 5 to 8 on 6.5 and then redrill the rotors for the 8 on 6.5 patter on the Super Bearing. That brings them to within 1.5" inches of each other, which doesn't seem worth the effort to shorten.
As for the brakes I'm planning to upgrade the master cylinder to get more pressure and add a proportioning valve to the rear brakes.

The_Lobbster

Haha, I just now realized you work at UVU too. I admire that thing every time I have to do work in the Alumni house, it's such a sweet rig!! I'm in the HVAC department here.

Agility Customs

Vendor
You can move the bracket forward but very little before it contacts the pitman arm when your turned all the way driver and even then you have to limit up travel or get super creative with the track bar bracket. your way better off to shorten the long side or retube both sides to get the diff closer to center.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
You can move the bracket forward but very little before it contacts the pitman arm when your turned all the way driver and even then you have to limit up travel or get super creative with the track bar bracket. your way better off to shorten the long side or retube both sides to get the diff closer to center.
Is this helpful?