• Side-Jobs Forum Rules:
    • No requests related to 4x4, offroad, or any services already provided by vendors who support RME and make this site possible. If you are seeking these types of services, please post in a General 4x4 or another approriate forum.
    • No requests related to morally questionable or illegal activities
    • Any requests here may be removed at any time at the discretion of the moderators

Basement work

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Is anyone here interested in finishing my basement sheetrock and painting? I am fed up and ready to just pay someone to finish it. Call me at 8O1. 663. 63O5 if you are interested in giving me a bid.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I learnt a LOT about sheetrock/mud/tape the past few weeks. Are you going for a textured wall, smooth or ???? It is crappy work but it's just work. Totally understand the "fed up" part. Been there, done that

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I learnt a LOT about sheetrock/mud/tape the past few weeks. Are you going for a textured wall, smooth or ???? It is crappy work but it's just work. Totally understand the "fed up" part. Been there, done that

I have done a bit of mudding in the past, not a fan. Right now, I don't have the patience and would like to support someone that may be feeling an impact from the Rona panic.

Where are you located and how big is the basement?
Kaysville. Likely 1200 sq ft that needs to be finished. Here are some pics. We are getting quotes to make it paint ready, and quotes to just finish all the work except flooring.

20200416_224307.jpg

20200418_164337.jpg

20200418_164353.jpg

20200418_164400.jpg

20200418_164415.jpg

20200418_164426.jpg

20200418_164432.jpg

20200418_164443.jpg

20200418_164501.jpg

20200418_164507.jpg

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
It might be a good plan to fur this wall out so that the drywaller can just hang. This is something I've seen some lazy guys really hack up.

20200418_164507-jpg.126750
Not sure what you mean, but I cut the last triangle piece out, then put up a whole sheet of drywall on the top, then cobbled together what I needed on the bottom. Since it is a closet, I am not too concerned with it being perfect.

We ended up hiring a crew to do it. At this time, I am calling that a mistake. I could do a little better job than I have seen from them for 1/8 the cost, but it would take me longer. We will be having a chat with the lead guy soon to ensure it is done to my satisfaction before paint goes up and we pay another penny.

Paul R

The furring strips would put the new drywall an inch or so out to clear the wires stapled on the outside of the framing.

I see what you are saying. It is hard to totally tell, but it looks like that board they cross is set in a bit looking at the other vertical 2x4s. It looks like it might sit fairly flush.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I had to check what you're saying on the laptop. I couldn't see it on my phone. I think you're right. I'm glad to see it.
I get it. Yes, that header is inset of the dry wall a 3/8". I ran the wires where they are to get them in the wall rather than on the outside of the wall. I don't have a before picture, but the speaker wires and coax dropped out of the ceiling. When I pulled the drywall down to run power and ethernet, I ran all the wires in the wall so they are all concealed. I will snag some pics tonight when I go in the house.