Batteries...what's good these days

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
What are ya'll running for batteries? I've got a 4 year old red top that's about done, and I need to replace it. I haven't ha many problems over the years with them, but I know others have due to some changes in manufacturing. I had a Die Hard Platinum that was a sweet battery for a good price, but I think those are gone now.

So, in a reasonable price point (i.e. under $200), what's a good gell-celled battery?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I've been having good luck lately with "normal" flooded-cell batteries. They seem to last just as long as the AGM I've tried--and even if they didn't, they're 2/3 the cost so you could replace it more often.

I have Napa batteries in both Cruisers now. I think I still have a pair of Duracell AGM in my truck that are still going strong though.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Agreed. The Walmart battery in my Jeep lasted for several years of doing all the stuff you're not supposed to do with a "regular" battery. I was waiting for it to die so I could get a gel cell but when it finally did I just went with the same one.

RockChucker

I ended up with a red top to replace my 9 year old yellow top. I got it new on amazon for like $140. Needless to say, that deal didn't last long.

DAA

When the Diehard platinum went away I went with Odyssey. Two something for my LJ maybe more than you want to spend. Been happy with it though.

- DAA

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Duracell had "Platinum AGM" that is a rebadged Deka for less. Batteries plus also has a X2 sealed AGM that has good reviews. I'm still rocking Optimas, they've been as good to me as Odyssey's

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I'm kinda curious to expand on the original question....has anyone ever bought a battery they WOULDN'T recommend? I can think of one battery I had that failed under "normal" use, not ruined by something else going wrong. That battery was a cheap Wal-Mart one, but they replaced it under warranty and I'm still using the replacement in my camper.

Brad J

I'm kinda curious to expand on the original question....has anyone ever bought a battery they WOULDN'T recommend? I can think of one battery I had that failed under "normal" use, not ruined by something else going wrong. That battery was a cheap Wal-Mart one, but they replaced it under warranty and I'm still using the replacement in my camper.
I had the same luck with a cheap Wal-Mart battery and got my money back and got a DieHard that lasted a long time.

RustEoldtrux

RustEoldtrux
The OEM batteries in my 2003 Dodge Cummins diesel are still working great even after 15 years of Wyoming winters and other abuse. Very pleased with them, but I suspect that the end will be soon.

DAA

I'm kinda curious to expand on the original question....has anyone ever bought a battery they WOULDN'T recommend?

Yup! O'Reilly's house brand, whatever it is. Put their "mid grade" in both my Wife's '04 Denali and my '02 LX470 and they both crapped out in less than a year. Got both replaced. Both replacements crapped out in less than a year.

I think both vehicles have a lot of "luxo electro" crap on them with stuff going on all the time even when sitting. And both routinely sit for days at a time. And with both, cold weather and sitting a couple of days meant "no start" with those batteries while still basically new. Because the replacements were still under warranty and it was the path of least resistance, I paid up the difference for the highest level of their house brand after the first replacements crapped the bed and those have both been fine for a couple of years now. But, I won't buy O'Reilly's house brand (whatever it is...) again and definitely would not recommend them.

For my Jeep, I just spend too much time alone out in the boonies to take a chance. Mostly during winter, too. Ran the Diehard Platinum, replaced the first one after five years just on GP, even though it was still going strong and in fact, put the old one in my Son's ZJ and it never gave him any guff. Replaced the second one also after five years, same thing, still going strong but I just don't want to take a chance as often as I'm out alone far from any possible help and put the old one in his ZJ again and it's still good. I ended up throwing the original Diehard away, because nobody wanted it (I posted it here before tossing it), and I was tired of storing it, but I think it was still good. Will replace my current Odyssey at five years too, just the way I roll with my LJ. I carry a good little jumpack too. Belt and suspenders approach :D.

- DAA

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member

I'm NOT an Optima fan here. Had to many trashy ones. $230 batteries that only last 13-15 months tend to make you grumpy at the brand after two-three of them

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Yup! O'Reilly's house brand,

I like to shop at the O'Reilly's by my house a lot better than the Autozone right next to it when I need wiper fluid or whatever, but I've had terrible trouble with their house parts (Wiferunner went through three alternators in two years) and won't go that route any more. I buy NAPA when I'm not buying OEM now. I will buy an Autozone battery, the Duralast brand has been good to me, but that's about all I buy from them anymore.

Speaking of NAPA, got a NAPA AGM in the truck now, think I got it in one of those "10% off anything that fits in the bag" sales so it was a really good deal. It hasn't shit the bed yet so I guess I got my moneys worth? I carry a little jump pack too, those things are worth their weight in gold.

Reactions: DAA

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Oreilly has decent parts but be wary of the house brand tune up stuff and electrical (starters/alternators). I had excellent inside info from my kid that worked at the Woods Cross store until July when he went on his two year religious vacation to Baltimore area. I use Oreilly parts as they have a store in Moab, Autozone does not. That’s becoming less of a factor as Moab becomes more and more like Jackson Hole and/or Park City

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I also like O'Reillys much better than the other stores. There is an O'Reilly, an Auto Zone across the street, and a new Advanced Autoparts a few blocks down Riverton. Autozone staff is always super unprofessional and clueless. Advanced Autoparts is a little better but not much.

I killed a red top in my jeep by letting it sit for months then trying to revive it with a old school charger. Totally my fault. Brought it back to O'Reillys and they confirmed it was dead. Since it was under warranty I got them to put the cost towards a yellow top that's been going strong ever since. Super helpful staff :)