Batteries...what's good these days

DAA

I go to O'Reilly's a lot, it's the closest, easiest to get to from my house and the guys who have been there a long time know me. They take used oil too, which is convenient. On some stuff, just depends, I think they have better parts than Napa. O's usually has Spicer u-joints in stock, for instance, Napa doesn't carry Spicer anymore - at least not the one I go to. I like that O'Reillys. I just won't buy their batteries anymore :D.

Anything electrical (except batteries), be it sensor (especially sensors...), coil rail, alternator or starter, I buy factory original new parts. If I can wait a couple days for it to come in, can usually find them online for prices not too much above the higher grade parts store stuff. And actually, I have started just going that route with more than electrical - I used a new factory water pump and fan clutch recently.

If they still have them when the time comes, I'm going to try those Costco Interstate batteries for the daily drivers next time. The Interstates on my trailer have given good service.

- DAA

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
FYI: Costo changed their warranty. Was 100 months (not a typo) pro rated. Now its 4 years free replacement.

My wifes expedition's battery took a dump a month ago. Returned it to costco, they prorated the return to a gift card. $54 later I walked out with a brand new battery. Not a bad way to go.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
For starters and alternators I always used to use Orem Auto Electric and they were fantastic. I struggled for a replacement when he quit 10 years ago. Last fall I found there is an auto electric shop in the complex right next to Ultimate high (odd since OAE was Nishan's dad lol). He had fair prices on starters and alternators, also had solenoids and rebuild kits. I have had two dead alternators and 1 dead started right out of the box from Orielly's. If I am forced to buy from them, I make them test it before I leave the store.

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
New optima?> Here. Wonder if they actually changed anything from the older ones. We have all ran optimas in our rigs and haven't had any problems. Every time i start my propane buggy i have to crack it over for a good 30 seconds after it sits for more than a day.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I have alot of electronics in my LJ and really should have a second battery or at least a deep cycle one.. but I have bought the Walmart MAXX the last 2 times.... the current one is from Jan2015 and seems to work pretty good for me.

astjp2

There are only 3 or 4 automotive battery manufactures, they just put the bits and pieces in different cases. But there is also different levels of quality vs. price point from these manufactures, Costco interstate batteries are not the same as the dealer ones, the dealers will typically not warranty a Costco battery...Tim

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Costco interstate batteries are not the same as the dealer ones, the dealers will typically not warranty a Costco battery...Tim
Do they need to? Costco warranties them without question. My model is buy the Interstates from Costco and keep a lithium jump pack in my car in case it dies in the middle of no where. I also check voltages once a month or so to keep an eye out for a fading battery. You pay or you pay.

thenag

Due to engine compartment restraints I have to run optima's to fit two in the XJ (with OBA, etc).

I picked up a pair of yellow tops from Oreilly in 2014, setup in parallel, without an isolator, they are good so far.

I have heard that Optima's bought on Amazon are not covered under warranty, with as many people that have had issues with them it is worth paying more to be able to exchange them locally.

Nathan

rossl

I've had pretty good luck with Optima but that was a few years back. Maybe the newer ones have worse QC.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I just got a Red Top yesterday for my CJ7 project as these batteries have never let me down. However, after doing buckets of reading I think I will get a Northstar batter for my wifes JK as that is a Sears Die Hard Platinum, so as I read.

lhracing

I have a X2Power Premium AGM Battery from BattriesPlus and it seems great. They are said to be made by NorthStar but pricing is better.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I have heard that Optima's bought on Amazon are not covered under warranty, with as many people that have had issues with them it is worth paying more to be able to exchange them locally.

Nathan

I bought a yellow top on Amazon for my Cadillac a couple years ago. It died in 90 days, and Amazon sent me a new one overnight and didn't want the old one back.

astjp2

Do they need to? Costco warranties them without question. My model is buy the Interstates from Costco and keep a lithium jump pack in my car in case it dies in the middle of no where. I also check voltages once a month or so to keep an eye out for a fading battery. You pay or you pay.
cheap people buy the costco and try to warranty them with a better interstate...just say'n

pELYgroso

'Merica
I had to buy a new battery for the Jeep before our Moab trip this weekend. (replacing an old DieHard AGM) I went to the local Batteries plus and they only had the Duracell platinum AGM's which I was excited about since I've read good things about them......but they didn't have the 34 series that fits the Jeep. I didn't have time to run down to Orem so I figured I'd go to Costco. I mentioned it to the lady and she immediately said that their batteries are the lowest quality that you can get, right along with the Wal-Mart ones. I asked her for a recommendation and she said either Les Schwab usually carries good quality, or AutoZone high end batteries are better than the Costco or Walmart ones. Autozone was close so I went over there. I actually ended up grabbing a yellow-top at first but the guy at the counter said that they see a lot more of the Odyssey batteries come back than the Duralast AGM batteries, even though they don't sell nearly as many of the Odyssey's. The Odyssey's have a 2 year warranty vs. the Duralast's 3 year warranty also. Odysseys are also nearly $100 more. I ended up walking out with the Duralast. We'll see how it lasts....

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I had to buy a new battery for the Jeep before our Moab trip this weekend. (replacing an old DieHard AGM) I went to the local Batteries plus and they only had the Duracell platinum AGM's which I was excited about since I've read good things about them......but they didn't have the 34 series that fits the Jeep. I didn't have time to run down to Orem so I figured I'd go to Costco. I mentioned it to the lady and she immediately said that their batteries are the lowest quality that you can get, right along with the Wal-Mart ones. I asked her for a recommendation and she said either Les Schwab usually carries good quality, or AutoZone high end batteries are better than the Costco or Walmart ones. Autozone was close so I went over there. I actually ended up grabbing a yellow-top at first but the guy at the counter said that they see a lot more of the Odyssey batteries come back than the Duralast AGM batteries, even though they don't sell nearly as many of the Odyssey's. The Odyssey's have a 2 year warranty vs. the Duralast's 3 year warranty also. Odysseys are also nearly $100 more. I ended up walking out with the Duralast. We'll see how it lasts....
Do you mean Optima? The yellow top (and red and blue...) are Optima batteries. I don't think AutoZone sells Odyssey batteries.