Battery cable crimpers

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I need to make up some short cables for a winch I am fixing. I have cables (4 gauge) but don't have a way to crimp the big lugs on the ends. I have seen different types of crimpers, ones that you hit with a hammer and the more standard crimpers. Many of the standard crimper reviews are not complimentary. What have you used that has worked well ?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I bought this HF unit last week to fix a cable end on my motorhome. I think it was around $70. Worked great. If I was closer to you I would loan it to you.
8954514C-0A9C-4955-ADC6-BC8136C16802.jpegD09726FC-B8A2-430A-A48F-127E6A39F22B.jpeg

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I like to stick the ring terminal in a vise and melt a puddle of solder in it. Stick the stripped end of your cable in and leave the heat on for a bit so that the solder gets all wicked in there.

Tonkaman

I have the kind that you smack with a hammer. I’ve not had any failures or cause for concern, but It definitely doesn’t look as strong as fully crimped connections.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I have a hammer crimper that you're welcome to borrow. I think it was only about $20 to buy if you want to own one though.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I saw that one at HF, just had doubts about spending that much for four crimps.
I have needed one a half dozen times over the last 5 years and have borrowed a big industrial one from a friend that is an electrical contractor. When I saw this one I figured it was easier than waiting until I could borrow one. It worked great for the 2guage fitting I crimped

the other issue I had on this cable was it needed to be crimped in place so it would have been a PIA to do another style of crimper.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I have a hammer crimper and hydraulic crimper you're welcome to use. Bring you stuff over and we'll knock them out in 5 minutes.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I have some hydraulic crimpers as well (from Amazon). They do a good job. I'm not close by, but will crimp them if you happen to be driving through

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Napa or Marshalls both have good terminals. Get some heat shrink to go between the terminal and cable.

I have hydraulic crimpers you are welcome to use, but I may not be as close as others. I bought them to build some battery cables for the RV out of 2/0 cable. I think they handle from 12g to 2/0g.