battling bad mileage. Anyone regear with results?

hound

Wondering if anyone has noticed mileage increases when regearing. I currently have 3.73 gears (stock) and went to 32" tires this summer. I am looking to switch to 4.10 gears to get closer to the stock ratio. Anyone have any input?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I think you'll like the 4.10 gears with the 32". If you plan on moving to a 33" eventually {never happen, I'm sure :rolleyes: } , I'd move to the 4.56, though.

STREET:
I'm running 4.10 gears with 35" MT/R's. I'm getting 17 mpg on the freeway, but around town I'm usually more like 13-14 mpg.

I went to a 33" SSR {4.10 gears} and that was OK, dropped to 18-19 mpg and about 14-15 mpg around town.

I started with the 4.10 at 32" MT/R's which were excellent, as I got close to 20 mpg on long trips and about 15-16 mpg around town. My speedo was a little high {when I was running 55, my speedo would read 60--excellent, as I've always pushed the speed limit a little}.

OFFROAD:
4.10 with 35" are not impressive--4.56 is probably in the list of mods
4.10 with 33" are adequete, but 4.56 would be nice
4.10 with 32" are pretty decent. Low enough to crawl a little (someone with a 4-1 or an Atlas will still whip you-but no real braking action was required to 'keep control' while climbing weird things), but high enough not to kill your street manners.

Oh yeah, and welcome to the BB.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
most people dont understand the fact that once ytou change from factory tire size, you mess up your odometer as well as the spedometer. you may not be getting any better or worse mileage in a relative sense, it is just the fact that your instrumentation is now unreliable. Don't trust your odometer so much. do the math and find out exactly how far off you are and do your gas mileage calculations accordingly.

so sum it up: you probably are getting the same mileage just at a different ratio!!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Originally posted by spencurai
most people dont understand the fact that once ytou change from factory tire size, you mess up your odometer as well as the spedometer. you may not be getting any better or worse mileage in a relative sense, it is just the fact that your instrumentation is now unreliable. Don't trust your odometer so much. do the math and find out exactly how far off you are and do your gas mileage calculations accordingly.

so sum it up: you probably are getting the same mileage just at a different ratio!!

My mileage calculations are corrected for percentage off of the odometer vs. my GPS at 70 mph for highway miles. City mileage is straight off of the odometer. Sorry about that...should have told you I'm kind of a geek about the math thing and didn't provide you that information up front. Palm pilot calculators are kind of cool for that kind of thing........now where's my pocket protector?

grinch

inner city redneck
If you do decide to regear I wouldent even consider 4.10 Go with the 4.56 if you plan on going to 33 or larger somday go with the 4.88. If you dont you will wish you did I can almost guarentee it.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
if you are changing gears, even if you never plan on going to larger than 33s, I suggest 4.56 or 4.88. I'm running 4.10 w/33s and wish I would have gone more. As I build my new axles, I'm definately going minimum 4.88s (when the axles go in, on will go 35s), but may go more....depends on whether I find a trailer or not.

jd

harkinoff

something to do...
yes you do!! I won't go there SHAWN, I'm sure you will be towing the scout home, in the near future, especially the rate I've been tearing up sheit lately:D

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
my cj is getting better mileage since I traded the 3.54's for 4.56's, it seemed to put me back in the power band. I only have a 3 speed auto(no overdrive here) I tach about 3400 @ 70. I plan on moving up to 35" tires next year and if I had it to do over again I would probably go 4.88's in anticipation of the 35's

hound

Thanks for the input guys. I almost forgot I posted this thread. I have made the proper speedo gear swap for 32" tires and tested it with GPS on a flat road. I am getting bad gas mileage. I account most of it for the cold weather and all the city driving I am doing. I live and work within 2 miles of my home so I never get any highway miles. All stop and go. I don't think I will go any bigger than 32's so I may just go with the 4.10. Anyone have any sugestions on who to take it too?

hound

Yes, I know nate and john really well. I grew up with them. They are always really busy though. I will have to go have a talk with them and see if they can get me in.

hound

Had more time to think about this. I am leaning more toward the 4.56 now. They are the same price pretty much. I think it would benefit me more anyways.