Become a NORA member today! Read on!

NORA-USA

I hope that most of you have heard about the National Off-Road Association by now. We are an organization that was formed to keep trails open across this great country of ours. Yes, there are other organizations that do the same thing, however, do they offer you over $2000 in discount coupons with well known companies when you become a member? I urge you to sign up to receive your FREE eNewsletter. Those that sign up before February 24th will be entered to win a $1,000 Skyjacker Suspension Gift Certificate! SIGN UP TODAY!

4WD Hardware, Skyjacker Suspensions and the National Off-Road Association join forces to help keep off-highway vehicle trails open.

4WD Hardware is pleased to announce a joint effort with the National Off-Road Association and Skyjacker Suspensions to help raise awareness on nationwide land access issues that affect our ability to access America’s backcountry.

Through February 23rd Skyjacker Suspension is offering anyone who signs up to receive our FREE monthly E-Newsletter the opportunity to win a gift certificate worth $1,000 towards the purchase of any Skyjacker Suspension product.

Becoming a National Off-Road Association supporter is simple and FREE. Click the link below to receive monthly email updates on important land access issues affecting our nation’s off-highway vehicle trails. All you have to do is enter your full name, email address and zip code and you’ll be automatically be entered to win a $1,000 gift certificate from Skyjacker Suspension.

http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/o/5568/t/5691/signUp.jsp?key=3016

The winner of the $1,000 gift certificate will be announced on February 24th at www.nora-usa.com and on NORA’s Facebook Page - http://www.facebook.com/nationaloffroadassociation .

Good Luck!

Erin Lara
Member Services Director

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I have to ask the question. If I belong to U4WDA, BRC, USA-ALL, CA4WDC, AND UFWDA why do I need a new group? We still need our local groups but what about the national groups getting together under one umbrella?

I know - never happen.

Last edited:
I have to ask the question. If I belong to U4WDA, BRC, USA-ALL, CA4WDC, AND UFWDA why do I need a new group? We still need our local groups but what about the national groups getting together under one umbrella?

I know - never happen.

I asked myself the same question when NORA came around. So I called Pearse and spent some time (over multiple conversations) to get to know him and NORA.

So why do we need a new group?

Has motorized recreation been saved? Have these other groups put forth a plan to soundly protect motorized recreation from the many threats it faces? Do these groups have an exclusive right to be the sole bearers of the sword?

Three no's.

Are these other groups more concerned about someone being in their sandbox rather than figuring out how they could work together?

One yes.

I base that on the initial response I saw (internally) from BRC, UFWDA and others when NORA went public.

NORA has a lot of catching up to do, but they have something that NONE of the other groups mentioned have: sound business experience. I like the idea of someone with sound business knowledge and connections getting involved in land use much better than the other way around.

Just my opinion, but NORA is a better bet than "the old guard" who have gotten us nowhere.

I signed up the first day memberships were available, I think I'm #4.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Ok, I will try NORA but sure hope we see some results. The other groups try but the attrition rate is still eating away at our pastime.

Ok, I will try NORA but sure hope we see some results. The other groups try but the attrition rate is still eating away at our pastime.

Because there are no results. Why would we expect repeat donors when their contributions are tossed into what appears to be a black hole? Is it that they can't do enough because they don't get enough donations or is it that they don't get enough donations because they don't do enough?

Based on what I've seen, I don't think USA-ALL or BRC are any better than SUWA.

The local groups (RR4W, MFFW, CC4X4, FOTR, etc) seem to be the only ones getting it done. While money is part of their strategy, their most effective weapon has been COOPERATIVE SUPPLEMENTAL MANAGEMENT. Filling the management gap. Stroking the poodle. Paying the piper. Paying to play. Giving to get.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Tried to sign on and it didn't work. Will try again.

This time it worked.

Being a business they are more like SUWA and Sierra Club. Lets hope it works. Maybe they can get away from the volunteer trap that most of the others are experiencing.

Last edited:
SUWA and Sierra Club are "public" charities. NORA is a for-profit corporation not limited by the restrictions of maintaining tax-exempt status. That doesn't mean NORA was founded to make money, on the contrary they've lost tons of money getting started. It means that they can be legally involved in political speech and other areas where charitable orgs can't operate.

SUWA and Sierra Club are well run charities that operate like a business (a major key to their success). Our "charities" are run like ego-supporting clubs for the handful of leeches making a living in the name of "protecting" access. We don't have jack shit on a national level. As I've stated (for years), donate to the local groups working proactively with land managers instead of the regional/national groups doing nothing but wasting money.

It will be great if NORA can change this paradigm. They'll get my annual donation until they prove they can't.

Last edited: