Best 3 row Crossover/SUV?

Houndoc

With grandkids now in the picture, thinking it may be time to go back to a 3rd row SUV/Crossover for my wife's DD.

Without going crazy on price (for fun start with a goal of under about 120K miles for under $40k) , what have y'all had good luck with?

Doesn't have to be truly off-road capable, just good in the snow.

SnwMnkys

Impressed with my friends Toyota Highlander. Its a 2019 Limited. My friends called it a sensible mom mobile when I drove it once. Thats all Ive got.

RockChucker

Never driven one, but think it be worth checking into....2014+ dodge durango with the 8 speed trans. That is based entirely on the fact that we love our 2014 grand cherokee with the hemi and 8 speed. I know the durango has the 3rd row....

DesertRam

We loved our Honda Pilot for 180,000 miles, then sold it to move to something a bit smaller (and newer...). Though it was only FWD, I understand the AWD is pretty capable in bad weather. You won't off-road in it though...

boogie_4wheel

We had a 2012 Buick Enclave (Acadia and Traverse triplet). In '13 they got a refresh, but don't know when the 2nd refresh was.

We logged 150k on it before we got rid of it to downsize. My wife and I loved the Buick. Silent at speed and very comfortable. 22-24mpg highway with AWD on ours. It had to drop a gear to get up most hills, but what it couldn't pull in 5th it definitely would climb in 4th. I used it to pull our 16' flatbed a few times and it handled 2-3k weight just fine.

2nd row capitan seats are awesome! They make for easy access to the 3rd row. Kids fit easily in the back and throw an adult in the middle. I'm 6'2", I could fit in the 3rd, but wouldn't want to spend a long time back there.

3rd row folded down and there was gobs of capacity for 4 and all their luggage. Bose stereo sounded good. Tow package included a mini spare tire. Non tow had a stupid puncture repair kit.

Oil changes weren't bad. Oil filter was a little hard to get to and it would make a mess down the front of the block because it is horizontal.

We replaced it with a Mazda CX-5 (turbo). I'd seriously consider the CX-9 if I needed more seats. My inlaws just picked up a 21 Durango. Front seat is like a cloud! I fit in the 2nd no problem. I only took it to dinner so no details.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
It's all opinions but for me:
Explorer. Honestly.
We wanted a smaller 3 row SUV and drove everything used under $40k
Explorer, Flex, Atlas, CX7, Pathfinder, Blazer, Highlander, CX9, Durango, Aspen, Acadia, Enclave, Pilot, Traverse, Tahoe (too truck like), Ascent and Q7
While I LOVE the Supercharged Q7 we ended up with- it's maintenance cost will ultimately mean we only keep it out to 120k miles.
If Momma didn't care about looking like a police car, the Explorer was the best bang for buck and the twin turbo motor kicks butt.

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
My wife has a ‘18 Highlander SE and absolutely loves it. I like driving it too because with 295 hp or whatever and AWD it’s pretty fun. I’m more of a Honda person but getting the Pilot with the 2nd row captains chairs is apparently kind of tough and that was a deal-breaker. We looked at the Explorer and the Traverse (or whatever GM’s option is) and didn’t really like them. I think the wife hates American cars and I’m totally cool with that.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
If it’s just hauling the occasional grandkids and you don’t need full size, I would consider Lexus GX for good value. Plenty of options from 30-60k miles under $35k. Land cruiser quality(ish) if you can get past the Lexus corporate grill.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
2015 or newer AWD Toyota Sienna.

Our Sienna is FWD but it has been just about perfect. They gobble up tires but barring that they are "quick", haul nearly anything, quiet and comfortable and are very easy to load with carseats and all the accompanying stuff.

I've only been stuck once in the snow but the AWD would make it perfect. Ours has traveled many miles of dirt roads when I didn't want to use the Truck or 4Runner.

I've tried many times to buy my wife an actual SUV but the Sienna does everything that she wants.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I bought a 2015 Yukon Denali last year with about 100k on it. Best vehicle I've ever owned for road trips. 420 HP, pretty decent gas mileage since it switches from V8 to V4 when needed, and heated and cooled seats are so nice. Glad I picked it up when I did before used prices went through the roof.

Houndoc

had a 2019 VW Atlas SEL , and just upgraded to a 2021 Grand Cherokee L Altitude about a month ago. Been very happy so far.

What did you think overall of the VW?

I know this will sound biased, but if you want a 3-row SUV that excells in snowy conditions I would suggest a Subaru Ascent. As for your price target, I've got one on my lot right now brand new for under $40k.
Send me details.

Houndoc

It's all opinions but for me:
Explorer. Honestly.
We wanted a smaller 3 row SUV and drove everything used under $40k
Explorer, Flex, Atlas, CX7, Pathfinder, Blazer, Highlander, CX9, Durango, Aspen, Acadia, Enclave, Pilot, Traverse, Tahoe (too truck like), Ascent and Q7
While I LOVE the Supercharged Q7 we ended up with- it's maintenance cost will ultimately mean we only keep it out to 120k miles.
If Momma didn't care about looking like a police car, the Explorer was the best bang for buck and the twin turbo motor kicks butt.
My wife is picky on the looks of a vehicle and actually likes the Explorer.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I liked the VW Atlas' that we drove before my wife decided on an Audi q5 (which isn't 3 rows). You can get the 2nd row buckets in the Atlas, which is cool.

I personally really like the Kia Telluride, Hyundai Palisade, and the Genesis GV70 is absolutely rad looking. I think I've talked my wife into the Genesis in a year or two when we need a little bigger troop carrier.

The Lincoln Aviator is expensive, but really cool too. Has all the fancy Ford trimmings and I'm pretty sure it's just a farkled up Explorer.

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
What did you think overall of the VW?
Ours was a 2019 SEL V6, and we really liked it. Had it for 18 months, and put about 20k on it. We came from a 2018 WK2 Grand Cherokee V6 Upland that was too small for our family; turns out 2 kids and all their crap takes up a lot of room. The Atlas was very comfortable and roomy, there was plenty of room in the 3rd row for adults, and still plenty of cargo room in the back. I liked the ride, but my wife wasn't a huge fan, as it was a but more sporty than her previous Grand Cherokee; you could feel the road better, which to her, was less plush. It felt very planted in the canyons, with very little body roll. However, the power was down, and acceleration seemed slow. Above all, this thing was a tank; you could really feel it in the doors, and they made a very sturdy "thud" sound when you closed them. The only issue we had was a head gasket at 10k, which VW took care of 100%. Apparently there was a known issue with an adhesive backing not being removed during engine assembly.

You can get the 2nd row buckets in the Atlas, which is cool.
Ours had the 2nd row captains chairs, and it was awesome. Made it very easy to get to the back row, and gave adults a little bit of leg room to stretch out from the 3rd row. The captains chairs also were able to 'tuck' far enough with a front facing car seat, that you could still access the 3rd row from that side. could fit a cooler perfectly in that gap during road trips too. We also went with the captains chairs in our WL-L that we just recently picked up.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
The Q7 and Atlas share the same platform and consequently the Q5 (shorter wheelbase).
I love how quiet the thing is inside. All the glass is thicker and of higher quality than any vehicle I've had before. Whisper quiet at well well above speed limit. The full glass roof is amazing for passengers and fit and finish on panels and interior is top notch (when you hover a finger over a button it illuminates). Middle row even gets heated seats. (And oddly ashtrays? Because Germany?)
The Q7 has the optional supercharged direct injection 3.0 V6 and it freaking rips.
Whereas the Atlas gets the standard 3.0 or 2.0 turbo.