best apps for 4x4/backcountry travel

sixstringsteve

I've got an android smartphone, and I just snagged a motorola xoom tablet. I was planning on using it to track my trips, and view maps, and do some route-finding. Even though it's the wifi-only version, the GPS is functional all the time, with or without wifi.

What are the best apps (apple/andoird/windows) you've seen out there for 4x4/backcountry use?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I say whatever app that you can find that will turn off all of the glamping gadgets :)

^ I was going to suggest this button. Press, and hold until light shuts off.

x3.

The best app for me personally is a paper map and a GPS if needed. Its my personal opinion that the 'download & drive' mentality will quickly get old and you'll lose interest in true exploring. While there is absolute merit in having a good navigation system in place, don't let it become your crutch. You'll spend more time looking at your phone than you do looking out the window. I can't count the number of times I've posted a trip report just to be emailed by dozens asking "can you email or post your track log". I don't understand that mentality, for me the actual trip is just part of the big picture, spending time ahead planning a route, researching the area attractions and creating my own path. I'll upload 10-15 waypoints into my GPS if the area is completely foreign to me... otherwise I rely on maps signage and a little carefree attitude if I get lost :D

sixstringsteve

I don't have a standalone gps or electronic map. I was hoping my phone would help me plan trips, alert me of weather alerts, or things like that. I'm wondering if there are any comm/nav/safety apps that might help. for example, i don't imagine it to be too tough to turn an iphone into a spottracker, or geocaching with a phone instead of a handheld gps.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I like gadgets, but I agree with Kurt, don't get dependent upon them. I usually keep my phone off for most of the time. A GPS Is handiest to me in it's ability to pinpoint a location on a paper map. I like navigation, but more for long boring freeway drives.

My friend Steve (I think he is Sheletor on here) is pretty knowledgable about the GPS related maps for Android.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
I was less than happy with my android/google earth combination when I was remote. Around town it works very well, but as soon as you get away from cell signal the GPS part works, but the maps don't display (they need internet access". to make matters worse when you are remote the phone seems to boost the power to try to get a better signal and the battery life tanks fast.

The next problem is that google takes guesses as to what is a road or not. It would send me to a "dirt road" which ended up being a sheep trail blocked by a private gate, and had nothing to do with a road at all.

If you do find an application that does work, it will need to be a garmin style map system where you pre-load the detailed maps into your phone then let your phone be a simple GPS.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Sheletor is the Android App King (ok anything google related). Here is my beef with the phone as a GPS or the phone with the coupled SPOT device. Its a compromise, its never as good as a true GPS and your taking your phone which is almost guarantted more expensive then a GPS into some nasty conditions. For example I'll grab my GPS off the dash and head out hiking with it, or pull out the GPS and lay it on my hood with a map stretch out to figure out a location or upcoming turn... not something I would want to do with my cell phone. I've never broken a GPS, I've gone through dozens of phones including 5 HTC Incredibles :D

Steve, look into a good basic GPS unit. Water resistant, much better stand alone battery life, good receptions, etc. If you don't anticipate needing it outside of the vehicles I suppose the phone would be well suited and I'm sure there are some apps out there for GPS tracking, topo maps, etc.

sixstringsteve

good to know Rusted, I didn't know that.

I think it'd be awesome to have an overlay of the BLM maps, on top of your normal mapping software. Never gunna happen, but it'd be cool to have.

sixstringsteve

Sheletor is the Android App King (ok anything google related). Here is my beef with the phone as a GPS or the phone with the coupled SPOT device. Its a compromise, its never as good as a true GPS and your taking your phone which is almost guarantted more expensive then a GPS into some nasty conditions. For example I'll grab my GPS off the dash and head out hiking with it, or pull out the GPS and lay it on my hood with a map stretch out to figure out a location or upcoming turn... not something I would want to do with my cell phone. I've never broken a GPS, I've gone through dozens of phones including 5 HTC Incredibles :D

Steve, look into a good basic GPS unit. Water resistant, much better stand alone battery life, good receptions, etc. If you don't anticipate needing it outside of the vehicles I suppose the phone would be well suited and I'm sure there are some apps out there for GPS tracking, topo maps, etc.

Good advice. I already have the phone, so I figure I can try it and see how much I'd use the GPS features before buying a standalone GPS unit. I've never owned a standalone GPS unit, so I wasn't sure if the phone technology has caught up or surpassed it, or if it was still behind.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I don't think we will ever see a phone that surpasses a true GPS, just as phones are constantly updating and improving as are GPS units. Some of the latest Delormes for example tie into the SPOT tracking technology and let you send an outgoing SMS message, ie "broken axle in Lockhart Canyon". This would actually make a great back-country article, GPS, vs SPOT, vs Sat phone, vs Phone, vs APRS, vs CB, HAM, etc. I definitely don't think there is a single product(s) that covers all needs. Some items would be ideal for every member of a group to have (ie CB or HAM) and others would be ideal for just a single member of each group to have i.e. the SPOT or SAT phone.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I was less than happy with my android/google earth combination when I was remote. Around town it works very well, but as soon as you get away from cell signal the GPS part works, but the maps don't display (they need internet access". to make matters worse when you are remote the phone seems to boost the power to try to get a better signal and the battery life tanks fast..

I heard somebody talking about this a while go. From what I understand, you can pre-visit those locations on your phone while you are in coverage so that the maps load and cache... then when you travel out of coverage they will display with the GPS. I could be wrong but it might be worth a try.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I have a Garmin etrex Legend, and it's a great entry level down-to-basics GPS unit. I've subjected mine to 300 miles of off-road races in an open vehicle several times, as well as tracking my regualr adventures around the state. It keeps on ticking with no issues to speak of.

$80 new unit on KSL..

Last edited:

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
Like has been said before, GPS apps on your phone will only display an actual map when you have internet service. However there are a few like Kurt said that you can cache the map before you lose service (You can search a location and cache it with out actually being at the location). I HAVE HEARD the one of the best caching Gps apps is called "GAIA GPS". I have heard because I haven't actually tried it yet. I have it just haven't had a chance to use it. I used it enough to take my boys for a ride to little Moab, but haven't tried the tracking feature yet.

If you do get a hand held GPS unit go with the Garmin rather than Tom Tom. The Tom Tom doesn't track.

Tyson

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I have a Garmin etrex Legend, and it's a great entry level down-to-basics GPS unit. I've subjected mine to 300 miles of off-road races in an open vehicle several times, as well as tracking my regualr adventures around the state. It keeps on ticking with no issues to speak of.

$80 new unit on KSL..

I got a legend HCx and it's a great unit (HCx adds a micro-SD card). I think I watch elevation, distance traveled, speed about as much as the map. With the extra micro-SD card I loaded a topo map of Utah. If I'm doing a new trail I load a GPS exchange file. Came in handy when I ran Strike Ravine years ago because of all the branches off the main trail. (I understand they have marked it better now).

It would be nice if RME had a link to download a GPS exchange file on the trail section (hint hint). :hickey:

I guess it is as useful as you make it, I've taken mine out turned it on when I left camp and didn't look at it again until I pulled back into camp. I guess I look at it as another tool I may or may not use and it's nice to have along.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I really do wish google maps app on the android phone would offer some pre-caching because the topo layers and satt map layers are invaluable in a lot of situations where I can still get a little 3g service in the great outdoors. Surprisingly I get 3g service in some incredibly remote places.

I am getting back into offroading and even though I love my google phone I am still probably going to get a stand alone GPS and map book to throw in the go-box.

Corban_White

Here are the apps I use regularly on my droid:

GPS Status-this displays the satellites you are communicating with, accuracy, coords, etc.

Google My Tracks-this records a GPS track and then can upload it to your google account for easy sharing.

Locus-this allows you to download maps ahead of time (google maps, topo maps, street maps, etc. Many different formats available) this will also record a track. Very useful for me when snowmobiling. Easy to get lost withing 500yd of the trail without knowing where you are.

I have a few others that I have downloaded to try but Locus did everything I wanted it to do I have not used them very much. They are:
Backcountry Navigator
Maverick
RMaps

Also, to address the battery life issue I always put my phone into airplane mode to prevent it from searching for a signal. I can record at a rate of once per second in below zero temps for over 6 hours without draining the battery. If anyone wants I can post some of the tracks taken with Google My Tracks and with Locus. Love my droid and the offline maps has been a great feature. :D