Best Crossover/light duty SUV??

Houndoc

Looking for a new daily driver for my wife (she deserves it, but also to save wear and tear on our Duramax).

While a Wrangler was our first choice, that will probably have to wait another couple years for budget reasons. So we are looking into crossovers and light duty SUVs- mostly the get around in the snow type rigs.

Target budget is $15,000-20,000.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Homefryy

For this type of vehicle I am 100% a Subaru person. I have had multiple Foresters and my wife now has an Outback and we have always been happy with them. They are also far more capable than people give them credit for. Subaru is top of the line for AWD. I don't trust any other manufacturers AWD system.

4x4_Welder

My wife has been looking as well, and Subaru checks a lot of boxes for us. I've seen first gen Ford Escapes handle some pretty good abuse (like towing a 27' camper), and I've had second and third gen Explorers but those are gas hogs.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I picked up a well-kept single owner '08 Highlander for right around $7,500 this fall. Higher mileage but I have records a mile long of dealer maintenance and it's been babied. I tossed some Pirelli Scorpions on it and so far it has been amazing in the snow. Our Highlander is AWD with a snow setting, fwiw... and we regularly get 22mpg mixed driving.

$15-20k I'd look at a little bit newer Highlanders, 4th gen 4runners, maybe Rav4's if you like that size.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
As much as I like to rag on Subaru's, they are amazing in the snow. Though I pull more stuck subaru's out in the canyons than any other vehicle, that is 98% driver error though and over confidence and the "well its a subaru I don't need snow tires mentality". Also have seen some pretty gnarly wrecks and every time a subaru is involved I'm shocked at how well they take a hit. Last one was against a 3/4 ton truck head on and the subaru had no interior deformation.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
It isn't the best on gas, but my GX470 has been the best SUV I have every had in the snow. You can pick up a 03-09 GX 470 in that price range. They are similar to the 4Runner but with a V8 and more creature comforts. They are pretty awesome off-road too!

I have a 17 explorer for work and before that had a 13 explorer for work. They are pretty good in the snow too, and drive like a car. I suspect you could pick up a decent Explorer in that price range. The Ford Edge is the same basic vehicle as the Explorer, but a few feet shorter without the 3rd row.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
My mom just got a new rav4 with adventure package and it is pretty dang awesome in the ice and snow. She hit some black ice recently and the car corrected itself right out of it. Pretty cool if you are in to that sort of thing.

Coco

I just picked up a 2004 GX470. I have really been enjoying it so far. Could be better on gas, but other than that I have really enjoyed it. It will be the new daily driver/explorer, as well as tow the SXS.

Houndoc

Anyone have experience with the VWs? Both their AWD system and in general?

Drove a little VW SUV "Crossfox" in Mexico and seemed a decent little rig.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
There is a whole thread on this form about the VW Jetta or something like that. Some people on here swear by them.

I once upon a time owned a Passat. Fun car to drive, expensive as all get out to repair, and it needed repairs often. I personally have never considered another VW after that car. I think others here have had much better experiences.