Best GPS for backcountry/4x4 use?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I recently downloaded the Hema map app. Thus far I am not impressed, my downloaded maps keep glitching out when I'm offline. Layers won't load, if they do they happen to be super fuzzy right where I to need to look, but fine in the surrounding squares. I'm probably going to end up re-upping my sub to earthmate, it has its flaws as well but was always super stable and readable.

Android or iOS?

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Did Earthmate ever add an always on option/feature? Having it let the device go to sleep, unlike any of the other half dozen apps I've tried, ended up being more of an irritation than it was worth to me. I've just been using BCN. Which I'm far from in love with either. But just for me, it is definitely better than Earthmate. Even if just for not going to sleep and not forcing me to go online to manage my own data. Oh, and the waypoint and track limits, I almost forgot, those were total deal killers for me. The second time I had to delete something to add something was the last time I used it.

- DAA

I'm back to BCN as well. I'm not a fan of having to DL maps before I go offline, but I haven't found anything better for the price. I really don't want to deal with a subscription.

DAA

Just saw today that Garmin is bringing back the 276C. New version, of course, now it's the 276Cx. Not the same one that was discontinued 10 years ago that everyone still loves and wishes was still available.

$800 for the new version. Which, is way out of my budget at the moment. It's what I'd like to have though. Same basic form factor as the old one, still has dedicated buttons instead of the hateful touch screen. Just a bigger and better screen, new chipset too of course. But basically, the same thing as my old one.

A year and a half or so of using a tablet has only made me miss that old school GPS even more. Wish I could afford the new one!

- DAA

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Did Earthmate ever add an always on option/feature? Having it let the device go to sleep, unlike any of the other half dozen apps I've tried, ended up being more of an irritation than it was worth to me. I've just been using BCN. Which I'm far from in love with either. But just for me, it is definitely better than Earthmate. Even if just for not going to sleep and not forcing me to go online to manage my own data. Oh, and the waypoint and track limits, I almost forgot, those were total deal killers for me. The second time I had to delete something to add something was the last time I used it.

- DAA

No it still goes to sleep, but on my ipad I just set the screen to always stay on

Android or iOS?

iOS iphone 6s/ipad mini

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Hmmm, that is odd. I've had no problems with the layers or downloaded maps but I am having an issue getting it to sync with my HEMA Cloud.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Hmmm, that is odd. I've had no problems with the layers or downloaded maps but I am having an issue getting it to sync with my HEMA Cloud.

Works fine when I'm online, but this is what I get offline. Doesn't matter if I turn layers on or off. I've restarted, redownloaded, turned all layers off but one. If its not this then a good section of the map will be fuzzy

IMG_3692.JPG
IMG_3693.JPG
IMG_3694.JPG

Then back online and it's fine

IMG_3695.JPG

Last edited:

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I'm going to bring this back to the top since I'm in the market and this post is a little old. Any updates as to a good offroad GPS? I would like one that would work for all my needs. Jeep/motorcycle/UTV, etc. Keep in mind that I'm old and blind so the larger the better :cool:

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Mine does the same thing off-line. very annoying. While it works good most of the time, its the other times when I need to see where I'm going that it really sucks.I got this for the off-line ability.

Should I try a different mapset? I'm using it on my iPad.

Works fine when I'm online, but this is what I get offline. Doesn't matter if I turn layers on or off. I've restarted, redownloaded, turned all layers off but one. If its not this then a good section of the map will be fuzzy

View attachment 106838
View attachment 106839
View attachment 106840

Then back online and it's fine

View attachment 106841

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'm going to bring this back to the top since I'm in the market and this post is a little old. Any updates as to a good offroad GPS? I would like one that would work for all my needs. Jeep/motorcycle/UTV, etc. Keep in mind that I'm old and blind so the larger the better :cool:

I've been pretty impressed with the Garmin Nuvi line, but they aren't power-sport specific. The one I have seems to show many of the dirt roads I travel on. Over time, I came to dislike the Garmin Zumo motorcycle GPS I had... it saved tracks/routes in a strange way, making them hard to share.

DAA

I'm still using BCN on an android tablet and it's still getting the job done but I'm still a long way from in love with it. Getting really used to it, so it doesn't flat out bother me like it did at first, but getting used to it sure isn't the same thing as really liking it. Liked all of the several other tablet apps I tried even less though.

I really feel like the state of GPS device usability for backroad exploration has actually devolved over the past decade. Devices have only gotten less useable and less useful. I've read a magazine review and looked at that Magellan, case in point, it looks absolutely horrid.

Not from a luddite perspective at all, either, furthest thing from it. I just genuinely feel that the devices available ten years ago were easier to use and did a better job. I guess I should point out, Garmin does make some stupid expensive chart plotters that I bet I would like, but the price point is too high for my consideration.

- DAA

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
There is definitely a gap in the market that needs filling for us offroad enthusiasts. I've used garmin for several years now for work, and some for offroading. The garmin nuvi line is about 84% fulfilling my wants.

I wasn't expecting much from the Magellan offroad device. I've never cared for Magellan though.

I tried Giaia on my android tablet a few years ago and hated it. It was so buggy it was unusable. I've recently tried it again on my mini ipad a it runs FAR better. I haven't used it a lot, but I think it will prove useful on my next big trip in July.

I really think garmin could easily produce a line of products for us that would satisfy most of us, they are just ignoring us.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I'm still using BCN on an android tablet and it's still getting the job done but I'm still a long way from in love with it.

This is where I'm at. I'm switching between BCN and Gaia and I'm still leaning BCN.

I feel like the problem with dedicated GPS units is they all concentrate on navigation on the fly and finding restaurants and other bells and whistles that I don't care about (see the social media crap on that TRX, forex). I'll find my own way, just give me a unit with good topo maps, that I can load my own tracks and POIs to easily, with a screen that's big enough and bright enough that I can see it while I'm bouncing down a dirt road with the noon sun shining on my dash, at a good price point. So far, BCNP on a 7" tablet is the closest I've found. But I agree with DAA that tactile buttons instead of a finicky touch screen would be nice.

edit - so there's BT ten key setups that are nice and small (and cheap). I wonder how hard it would be for BCN or Gaia or somebody to write keyboard support into their app.

Last edited:

Tonkaman

I’m almost 600 miles into dirt roads right now. I didn’t plan a route before leaving and have just been navigating with a few layers of saved maps in Gaia. So far it has been very dependable! The nice thing with the layers is that I can put satellite images over maps so it’s easy to see any discrepancies.

The only problem I’ve had so far is forgetting my iPad is WiFi only which means no built in GPS chip. My next trip I will have an external GPS and will go much smoother.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
The only problem I’ve had so far is forgetting my iPad is WiFi only which means no built in GPS chip. My next trip I will have an external GPS and will go much smoother.

I don't speak iPad, but Android has apps that'll let you bluetooth your tablet to your phone and piggypack the GPS signal, is that an option? If not, I've got a Globalsat BT-821 I'm not using that I'd sell you for cheap.

Tonkaman

I don't speak iPad, but Android has apps that'll let you bluetooth your tablet to your phone and piggypack the GPS signal, is that an option? If not, I've got a Globalsat BT-821 I'm not using that I'd sell you for cheap.

I tried hotspottjng to my iPhone but it didn’t piggyback the gps.

I’ll end up with a similar device to that one you have, but yours isn’t compatible with IOS

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I tried hotspottjng to my iPhone but it didn’t piggyback the gps.

I’ll end up with a similar device to that one you have, but yours isn’t compatible with IOS

I use a Garmin Glo with my iPad when using Hema or Earthmate. Bonus I discovered it works with my Garmin Pilot app as well