Best GPS for backcountry/4x4 use?

carsonc1974

Reviving an older thread. Anybody have any expiriance with the Garmin Montana? I need to pick up a portable for hunting/ atv trail riding, and the phone just isnt cutting it.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I looked at them when I was shopping around, good sized screen. The screen was not super responsive but seemed easy to read. The monterra would be a good option to look at as well but they are $$$.

carsonc1974

The monterra is what i initially wanted. turns out, they are extremely buggy, the run an old version of android. and support seems to be pretty limited from garmin.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Just an update on the Delorme Earthmate, I'm not sure when it happened but I was making sure I had maps downloaded for an upcoming trip and discovered Delorme is now offering USGS quad sheets and full color aerial imagery as downloadable layers. So you can now have the somewhat cartoony Delorme map that takes up next to no memory, or if you need higher detail in an area you can download the much more detailed USGS map and aerial photos

NYCEGUY01

I recently replaced my Lowrance Elite with an Ipad Mini.
Running Motion X.
In a Lifeproof case with the Lifeproof mount.

I just download the Satellite map for the area Im in that day and have at it.

I am using the Dual XPS150 puck for a GPS antenna.

So far it has worked awesome.

Besides working great so far as a GPS it also controls my Go Pro, Holds all of my music, and Doubles as an extra camera/video camera.

I also loaded up a nice 1st aid guide and a repair manual for my RZR.

Im super happy with the outcome so far...

cackalak

I've been using Maplets and PDF Maps on my iphone. Simple and easy to use. Download maps (I've downloaded several OHV maps around Utah) and no cell coverage needed.

I may pick up an ipad mini in the future to have a dedicated unit in the vehicle.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I am looking for a GPS for my 2015 Jeep Cherokee and do not like the one that comes with it. After reading all of this post I am very confused as to what to get. I already have an IPhone with map but not good for dirt roads. It looks like the Garmin NUVO or one of their 7 " units would be good or going to an IPad mini but it seems too complicated. Could some one post a synopsis of this post?

gahi

If you enjoy fiddling with electronics, the tablet or phone option is good and versatile. If not, a dedicated gps unit like a garmin will serve you well. If you get one, make sure its compatible with the garmin topo maps, I think most are.

If your going to use it to navigate with, a bigger screen is better.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I've had several Garmins. You can load different maps on them, and several free maps are quite useful (you will need a micro SD card) You can load Topo, but it's a little bit limited. It will show all of the roads in Topo, but the elevation lines are drawn in bold. The bold lines can be annoying, depending on how much you are zoomed in. The garmins won't always show a lot of the markers like mines and names of mountain peaks.

Even with those small issues, I prefer using the Garmin, because it is just so user friendly.

I currently have a Garmin 760lmt.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I like the Garmin 760LMT. Is there a store in the valley that has them so I can ask questions? I am going to look at a 770 at best buy.

sixstringsteve

Trimble is discontinuing their app next year, which is a real shame; I've absolutely loved it. I'm going to have to switch.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
So Delorme upped their game again, it costs a little more but you can now access game management maps, public land survey maps, and parcel maps. I've been running the program for a year now and have been happy. The addition of HD aerial photo maps, and USGS quad sheets was nice as well. Delorme is also now owned by Garmin so i'm hoping some more improvements will be coming.

https://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtdItemDetail.jsp?item=35429&section=10900

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Had problems turning it on and off so I called and they had me do a so called hard start, hold the on button down for 10 or 12 seconds, and sent me a 110 adapter. It only came with a 12 volt adapter.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I recently downloaded the Hema map app. Thus far I am not impressed, my downloaded maps keep glitching out when I'm offline. Layers won't load, if they do they happen to be super fuzzy right where I to need to look, but fine in the surrounding squares. I'm probably going to end up re-upping my sub to earthmate, it has its flaws as well but was always super stable and readable.

DAA

Did Earthmate ever add an always on option/feature? Having it let the device go to sleep, unlike any of the other half dozen apps I've tried, ended up being more of an irritation than it was worth to me. I've just been using BCN. Which I'm far from in love with either. But just for me, it is definitely better than Earthmate. Even if just for not going to sleep and not forcing me to go online to manage my own data. Oh, and the waypoint and track limits, I almost forgot, those were total deal killers for me. The second time I had to delete something to add something was the last time I used it.

- DAA