best late model diesel?

Houndoc

I think everyone convinced me to drop the Titan XD from list of trucks to consider.
So, the next question is what instead?

I have been very impressed with my two GM products (Duramax/Allison combos). Sold one with 350K on it, my current one is nearing 240K.

Was very displeased with my early 2000's Dodge (2004? if memory serves.)

If I start shopping for 3/4 or 1 ton diesels made in the last decade, what are y'alls thoughts on them?

xjtony

As much as I'd like to say Mopar or no car, and I do love my 2011 2500, my 2016 F250 work truck has never given me an issue since new. The Dodges can have some electrical bugs. The only hitch with the newer trucks is Def, but that has not really been that big of a PITA.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
For how often you tow it might not be the worst deal to look at a 3/4 ton Gasser either.
They are certainly less expensive used and the maintenance cost is a lot less.

This isn’t a bad idea. When I bought my gasser there was about a $20k price reduction over a Deisel.
anything less than 8k lbs towing, and I have no regrets. More than that I sometimes wish I had the Deisel, but then remember the rest of the positives, and I’m ok with being a little slower once in a while.

lhracing

I jumped into the diesel world a year ago with a 2020 Chevy 3500HD and absolutely love the truck. I went from a 2500 HD with the 8.1 gas motor which I thought pulled well but no comparison to the duramax. And the 10 speed Alyson is super smooth.

Toad

I’m a Ford guy driving a Cummins. I had 2 nice 7.3 Powerstroke’s. Bought a used 14 Cummins with a 68RFE. A year later I bought a new 18 Cummins with the Aisin. Truck was great. Did not have a single issue with it. Truck is still in the fleet. I’m no longer driving it though. I currently am driving a 2021 Cummins with the Aisin. Truck is amazing. I didn’t think they could improve on my 18 but they did. I went with the Cummins just due to the fact that everything under the hood is so much easier to work on than the other 2. All three of them are fantastic trucks. If you want to take a truck for a test drive let me know.

haulinshine

I would say drive all 3 of the diesels and whatever one you like the interior of most get. If you are looking at the 3/4 tons the dodge will feel pretty slow compared to the other 2, dodge has a lower power rating in the 2500 and you can only get the HO 410hp 1075lb-ft with the Aisin trans in a 3500. From experience with the wife's family who bought a chevy last year I would be a little leery of the bow ties. In the first year they owned it the thing was in the shop for 5 or 6 months or so with emissions issues, they may have just had a lemon but my wife's grandfather that bought the truck called a lot of dealerships trying to find one that could get his truck going fast and they all had 5 or more with the same issue he was having. The new fords I don't have any experience but it sounds like they are really solid.

So after that long winded go drive them all and pick the one you like most and you should have a lot of happy trouble free miles ahead.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
If you are looking at the 3/4 tons the dodge will feel pretty slow compared to the other 2, dodge has a lower power rating in the 2500 and you can only get the HO 410hp 1075lb-ft with the Aisin trans in a 3500.

"Yeah my new Ram 2500 with 850lb-ft is miserably slow."

-Nobody ever

Other than that my input is similar: go drive 'em and see what you like.

I hate Ford's interior and interface. I could rant about their intercooler piping and how it's left me stranded but I won't.

I haven't been in a new GM truck cause I'm not retirement age yet :rofl:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I wasn't calling it a slouch but when compared to 1050lb-ft and 910lb-ft not to mention giving a full 105 hp to ford and 75 to chevy you will definitely notice it under acceleration.
Perhaps I'm not the best judge for this because I've put almost 5k miles on my truck and I still haven't floored it, towing or unloaded. I haven't needed to 🤷‍♂️

DAA

Perhaps I'm not the best judge for this because I've put almost 5k miles on my truck and I still haven't floored it, towing or unloaded. I haven't needed to 🤷‍♂️

Wha... What? What, on earth, does need have to do with flooring it? No, I take that back, how on earth do you not need to?

Mash it.

IMG_00551.jpg

You'll feel better.

- DAA

RockChucker

^^Haha! I'm with Nate. I've owned my truck for almost 7 years. I don't think I've ever floored it. Never needed too. I drive my truck like a grampa (it is a GMC after all...) and have my Jeep for when I need to rally. That thing gets hammered on and comes back for more. Regarding @Houndoc request...The only pickup I've been in that is newer than 10 years old was a 2017/18 range Cummins. It was quite a nice truck. Much more quiet and refined than my 06 Duramax...but I can't speak to owning one or driving it even as I was just passenger. I don't think any of the big 3 make a bad truck. Really boils down to looks and how you like the interior.

1969honda

Supporting Member
@DAA is right, you need to floor it every once in awhile for the thrill, plus it helps clean the vane plate on VGT turbos to keep them from sticking and coking up. As long as you don't get caught chalk it up to preventative maintenance and scare your wife/girlfriend for a second. 😄

@haulinshine is spot on about all three are solid. I mostly work on Fords but the few Dodges we have in the fleet are just as solid, only issues I've seen with both have been DEF heaters, EBP sensors needing cleaned and thermostats changed out. the DEF and thermostats were on Fords and the EBP sensor was on Dodges. There have been a couple newer RAMs (2015+) that the fuse block mounting connections weren't tight between the actual harness and fuse block and some random bad EGT sensor connectors but other than that they have been pretty solid. Axles and suspension what I work on are all 1 ton or 1-1/2 Ton F350/450/550 and Ram 5500 , all worn ball joints, unit bearings and steering components are pretty similar in service life and cost to repair. The RAM does have a frozen caster on the front axles where the Ford's have the ball join caster adjustment sleeves that can be nice if someone tweaks a housing from getting a little to aggressive off road, but other than that I would take either one on powertrain performance and maintenance.

GMC/Chevy I don't have any fleet experience with as we don't have any, but I love the smooth grandpa ride in my old 97 K2500 :D I'm a GM fan for sure, but all of the big 3 have their different plus and minus features whether it be cab space, transmissions, lb-ft of torque, etc.... drive them all and get what you like and prefer.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
My ideal is a Ford with a Cummins. I think Ford builds the best interior and both their Chassis being solid axle are equal in my mind. I know the Cummins gives up a little HP and Torque to Ford and GM but I really like the simplicity of the Cummins to the V8 diesels.

Gary T

Repeat and rinse, repeat and rinse... I agree with the recent posts. I have owned one Dodge Cummins, two Ford power stroke’s and three Duramax‘s. At the time I owned each one I thought they were the greatest trucks I had ever owned. All have good and bad points, my current grandpa truck is an L5P Duramax and yes I am a grandpa. Quiet, powerful… I really don’t tow much, and am probably wasting a lot of truck. But when I do tow, I truly enjoy and appreciate the diesel. My wife told me while on a trip towing the trailer, “ I can tell when we get to the top of the hill because the grin on your face goes away”. I also have never “Floored” my truck, but it’s nice to know you’ve got all that power if you need it.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
If I had one complaint about my 14 6.7 was the sluggish feeling off the line. I later learned this isn’t specifically the engine rather the interface with the drive by wire. After I sold mine I drove a friends that has computer module thing that wakes up the drive by wire. Can’t for the life of me remember the name, but boy did it wake up that lag

Also not the latest gen but think all the last gen someone posted a vid of the 3 being dyno tested and the RAM was the only one even remotely truthful about HP/TQ numbers so I wouldn’t get too wrapped around a vs b having 1500lbs more torque it’s all advertising BS

Last edited:

Toad

One thing to be aware of is CP4 failure. I don’t know how common it actually is or just internet rumors. Ram uses a CP3 injection pump except on the 19-20 rams. My buddies dad just had his fail on his ram. 9000 bucks to fix it. Ford and GM run the CP4

Pile of parts

If I had one complaint about my 14 6.7 was the sluggish feeling off the line. I later learned this isn’t specifically the engine rather the interface with the drive by wire. After I sold mine I drove a friends that has computer module thing that wakes up the drive by wire. Can’t for the life of me remember the name, but boy did it wake up that lag
My understanding is the sluggish feeling is the torque management system, designed to protect the drivetrain. My '15 Cummins with the Aisin transmission can certainly be sluggish. The device you're thinking of is a throttle sensitivity booster. I have one and it helps, somewhat... I've basically had to learn how to drive the truck. If you ease into it and let it shift to second, you can really take off from there. If, by instinct, you mash the pedal it feels like it just sits there. I've thought I was going to get t-boned a couple of times. Otherwise I love the truck. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Find the right deal on a truck you like and you'll be happy.