Best off road 40" tires

pkrfctr

I hate my MTR's and am looking at swapping them out. I may try sipping them first. So what do you like? Don't want stickies because I do drive some pavement. Whats the best off road tire out there in a 40"? I had coopers stt pros in 35's and liked them. bias ve radial? I should note my rig is super heavy, over 6500 lbs.

Pile of parts

I've been wondering this same thing. My only experience has been with TSL bias. First set was 38". I was so impressed with how tough they were (especially sidewalls) that when it was time for another set I went with 39.5" on a 17" wheel. Certainly not stickies and they definitely flat spot when cold, but mine is really not street driven except to and from the trail. Another thing with the TSL is that they seem to run smaller than stated size. However, I have really liked them and have been looking at the 40" TSL SX2. The downside is that I think those are a D rated tire and the regular TSL (C load) needs single digit pressure to flex.

Anyway, I'm curious as to what the next tire will be. The price @Coco quoted on 40" Toyo MT was tempting but I didn't have any consistent opinions on off-road (sidewall) strength. And, I really don't NEED tires yet.

I've got a line on a set of new Nitto MT in a 40" size that I could probably pick up fairly cheap. However, they have a D load rating as well and I don't know how tough they are???

Bottom line, I'll be watching this thread.

What don't you like about the MTR? (Just curious)

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I've liked my 39" KRTBs a lot.

I liked my 39.5 TSLs after chopped them all up with a groover

MTRs don't have a good enough sidewall for me in a 40.

Curious though what you don't like about them?

N8RB8R

I ran the 40” Cooper STT Pro on my last JK and was very impressed with the ride quality and all around off road performance. I was running the Goodyear MTR before this set and it was a night and day difference. If I remember correctly the 40” Cooper measured 39.25” on my JK.

I just ran the new 37” Yokohama Geolander MTG003 M/T on my Gladiator and was also very impressed with them on the road and weekend of trails in Moab. They do offer this tire in a 40” as well.

I have heard great things about the 39x13.50r17 BFgoodrich KM3 and just installed a set onto my gladiator. No off road time on them yet. One thing I noticed is they took considerably less weight to balance than any of the other tires I have ever ran and they feel very “round”.

It has always seemed that BFgoodrich tires have measured on the smaller side. Mine on the gladiator right now measure 37.5”.

2D0E8415-C4F0-429C-BB23-C4CD60AC0668.jpeg

Attachments

• 242FB9B5-2860-449C-90FA-E4296A32518E.jpeg
    242FB9B5-2860-449C-90FA-E4296A32518E.jpeg
    691.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
What lift is on the JK? 40s look good

Kind of crazy those BFG measuring so small.

But at the same time, my 37” Mickey Thompson measure 35”. Tread is all but gone but still

N8RB8R

What lift is on the JK? 40s look good

Kind of crazy those BFG measuring so small.

But at the same time, my 37” Mickey Thompson measure 35”. Tread is all but gone but still
The JK has the Teraflex 4” system with Speed Bumps and Alpine Arms. Running the Falcon 3.3 shocks. I am sure it gained an extra 1/2-3/4” with the one ton axles.

pkrfctr

Really it only sees pavement driving to and from the rocks. We do some exploring type trips that have sections of road. Not much but enough that I don't want to go stickies.
With the mtr the center rib that is almost a solid line around the tire kills their performance off road. My outer two lugs are worn down a ton more than the the inner lug. They just don't seem to grip well,which is why I'm thinking I might sipe them first and see if it helps.

Last edited:

Bart

I'm running the 39 BFG KM3s and love them. Great on the road and they balanced out nicely. The first couple of times on the rocks they were so so, but the last few times out they were awesome. Not sure if it's the tread edges rounding off, or the beadlocks allowing a wider contact patch and lower psi. They flat out work.

LJTim

My top considerations (listed in no particular order) for your application and use, which is not too different than mine, other than weight:
39" Blue Label Krawlers
40" ProComp MT2 - (talk to Ryan Maxfield for the best price) You've seen mine in action. These work much better than I ever expected.
40" Patagonias - These tires just plain work - despite the unattractive tread pattern. I have seen it time and time again it Sand Hollow.
40" Toyo M/T
39" Kanati - Great price ppoint, and the Dixie guys have great success with them, but they are only a 12.50.
40" Nitto Trail Grap M/T

Only reason I wouldn't suggest another STT Pro is because you are just as tough on sidewalls as I am, and when I sold mine, they had lots of chunks chewed out of the sidewalls. This seems to be a common complaint nationwide. Other than that, they work great.

Gawynz

I' agree with @Pile of parts assessment of the TSL SX/SXII.

I originally ran 40" Pro Comp Xtreme M/T 2 Radials on my buggy. They seemed to hook up well but on only the third trip out I tore a hole in the sidewall. I had a spare so I sold them to my brother whose running them on his jeep/buggy and they're working well for him. With sidewall tears in mind I went with the 45" TSL SXII Bias as the replacement... might have been too much of a correction. The SXII's are stiiiiiiif, I think they're actually a load range E tire (need to verify), when wheeling I run them around 4psi and don't get much flex (~4000lb buggy). The SXII will get flat spots when sitting for a while. I don't think the SXIIs are as "tacky" as the Xtreme M/T 2s and they certainly aren't as pliable, but they can take a lot more abuse and I've still been happy with them. Also, the SXIIs do seem to run ~1" - 1.5" shorter of their advertised diameter.

Tire Slit.jpg

joez

I love my 40" Nitto Trail Grappler's. They are on a 6400 pound 80 series, and have been one of the best all around tires I have ever run. As they are getting up there in age I keep looking at what I am going to replace them with, and ultimately I will just be buying another of the same. On road ride is good, they are very smooth with no balancing on beadlocks, which I was concerned about given their 105lb weight. But, that weight lends to their toughness. Sidewalls are great, but do require very low pressures before they are broken in. DSC_0484.jpg

pkrfctr

I love my 40" Nitto Trail Grappler's. They are on a 6400 pound 80 series, and have been one of the best all around tires I have ever run. As they are getting up there in age I keep looking at what I am going to replace them with, and ultimately I will just be buying another of the same. On road ride is good, they are very smooth with no balancing on beadlocks, which I was concerned about given their 105lb weight. But, that weight lends to their toughness. Sidewalls are great, but do require very low pressures before they are broken in. View attachment 123421

any experience with the mud grapplers?