Best place to buy steel in Salt Lake (N. UT county is fine too)?

Caleb

I took tomorrow off so I can build something but I need some steel. Where's the best place these days for someone (without an account, etc) to pickup some steel. Square tubing is what I'm after.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Tripple S has great counter service, but a super slow shop/loading service.
Wasatch has AWESOME shop/loading guys, and a bunch of PMS'ing woman who run their counter. It will put them out if you have even a single question.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
SSS has a bunch of precut stock in bins so if you're lucky what your after will be there. They also have a huge drop section sold by weight. I built most of my trailer from drops.

Caleb

Ran down to Metalmart this morning since they're closest to me, got what I needed to get started. Thanks for the suggestions, it's been forever since I've done any real building so it should be fun :D

Ashcat

I always use Affiliated metals off Wright Brothers drive. Metalmart was always twice the price they were on items.
But they are a supplier of alloys and not mild/generic steel. Are they not? I buy aluminum from them. They hook it up and want your business. No account or wholesale BS.

X2 for the broads taking your money at wahsatch. Pain in the ass dealing with 3500 so. traffic and their prices aren’t really incredible. They’re useful if you’re going to HF or M4 or need some one off decorative stuff that’s fence related.

SSS is good on pricing, selection and Service. Will call isn’t that hard to reach if you show some authority. Them dudes have bent over backwards for me. Easy access and the remnants are great to browse-indoors.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I have always used Wasatch, I find them quick and painless. Good to hear about other suppliers. I have never heard of SSS I'll have to look them up and see where they are.

boogie_4wheel

Wasatch and SSS for me. Jeeper posted my exact thoughts on each place :rofl:

I go to Wasatch the most. It can be a pain with a trailer, and 33rd at the end of the day makes it hard to get out of there. Even though they seem to always be busy, they load fast.
SSS yard guys act like it's their first day on the job and don't know where anything is, but they sometimes have good deals.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I agree that the guys inside have it all over the Wasatch counter crew. Very friendly, willing to discuss options and recommend things you hadn't thought of. And I've never had to wait too long to get my steel, but maybe I just don't buy enough.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I haven't even stopped by Wasatch since I heard about SSS several years ago. Metal mart can be a great experience, and is worth the drive if you're buying for more than just a small project.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
It's such a PITA to get metal so when I go I tend to build a stockpile. Mostly 1", 1.25" thinwall square tubing, 3 /16" x 1" flat bar, 1/8" x 3" flat, etc. I need to get into the habit of running by Metalmart on Sat. mornings and peruse their drops pile. I really wish I had more room to store bigger stuff.

D

Deleted member 12904

sss is the cheapest but pack a lunch and a tape measure they are painfully slow to load and will load the wrong material often because they don't have set locations for stock and often times load what "looks" like what you ordered.

I love to use pdm if im ordering a decent amount and they deliver.

Caleb

Something else I did was paid to have most of my pieces cut to the lengths I need :p . It was $4 a cut but now all I need to do for most of my build is put the puzzle together. I have always hated cutting with a chop saw (anyone want my old dewalt chop saw? :D). Some day I'll buy a nice band saw when I have the space for it.

Caleb

They actually measured every piece they cut and had to have someone else also measure them and sign-off on the measurements.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
cool. I did a project for a friend who had everything cut to length at Wasatch and cuts were actually +- 1/4" and seldom square.