Best Slot Canyons???

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
If you could hike ANY of Utahs slot canyons which ones would they be?

I'm planning on heading South this coming weekend to do some hiking. I've heard that Utah's Slot canyons are awesome, but I'm not sure which ones to head to because I've never been to any of them :eek::ugh: :rolleyes:

San Rafiel Swell looks like fun and so does Kannara Creek in Zions... Anyway what do you think or recomend?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
The Narrows in Zions is well known. It's also pretty well traveled and touristy being in the NP, so you may have company. IMO the only way to do it is top to bottom. You'll have to get a permit early in the morning, they only allow a certain amount of people per day. You can take a shuttle to the top so you don't leave a car up there. It will probably be a bit chilly this time of year because you're in knee-deep water 90% of the time. There's spots where it's deeper, when I hiked it we had to swim at one point. It's 16 miles long, not super difficult but the rocks get slippery and you'll need good boots w/ ankle protection. It will take a long day to get thru. A walking stick is a good idea. Once you get within a few miles of the end, you'll start seeing lots of people who came in on the bus that are hiking up.

Or if you have a couple days to spend you could camp in Goblin Valley and check that place out, which is awesome in itself, then hike 2 slots that aren't far from that area. Little Wild Horse and Bell canyon and the Ding and Dang canyons. you could do one a day. The Swell will probably be less crowded, less money and funner camping. This time of year ought to be great for hiking that area. I want to make it to Ding and Dang this Fall. :)

We did Little Wild Horse and Bell Canyon loop on Christmas morning last year, it was really nice. Nobody out there and decent weather. Here's some pics from that trip-

235665813_ia5gQ-L.jpg

235665493_iKxSd-M.jpg

235665621_6FvmU-L.jpg

235665525_wsEm6-M.jpg

Paul R

I haven't hiked the swell slots, but I want to do that soon. My wife and I were hiking in the narrows and loved it there other than being way over crowded.

The Narrows:

MarikoNarrows.jpg

NarrowsZionNP.jpg

UsNarrows.jpg

Another areas of slot canyons are in Escelante NM. There are a ton of great slots though, it will take a bit of research to find out which one will fit your skill levels and desires. Whatever you decide always make sure to check the weather and take extra precausions. Drowning, while far from your mind while in the desert is a very real possibility.

I really like the dry fork slot canyons:

Spooky Gulch:
SpookGulch2.jpg

MarikoSpookyGulch1.jpg

PaulSpookyGulch.jpg

SpookyGulch-1.jpg

Last edited:

Medsker

2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Or if you have a couple days to spend you could camp in Goblin Valley and check that place out, which is awesome in itself, then hike 2 slots that aren't far from that area. Little Wild Horse and Bell canyon and the Ding and Dang canyons. you could do one a day. The Swell will probably be less crowded, less money and funner camping. This time of year ought to be great for hiking that area. I want to make it to Ding and Dang this Fall. :)

We did Little Wild Horse and Bell Canyon loop on Christmas morning last year, it was really nice. Nobody out there and decent weather. Here's some pics from that trip-

235665621_6FvmU-L.jpg

These are my favorites as well...mainly because I love playing around in Goblin Valley. I have this identical photo of my wife :)

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Awesome pics! :cool:

Looks like I should have taken more time off--they all look fun!

What is the camping at the Narrow's like? I'd like to camp away from the crowd... Are there restrictions or designated pay sites? Or is it fairly open? Thanks for all the responses :D

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Awesome pics! :cool:

Looks like I should have taken more time off--they all look fun!

What is the camping at the Narrow's like? I'd like to camp away from the crowd... Are there restrictions or designated pay sites? Or is it fairly open? Thanks for all the responses :D

There's camping areas in the Zions National Park grounds, they're nice but there's people all over. You have to pay to get into the park and I think campgrounds are first come, first serve. Most campgrounds are pretty close, have fire pits, tables, etc. There's a herd of deer that are so used to people they wander from campground to campground begging for food. I touched a big buck!

More here!- http://www.nps.gov/zion

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
www.climb-utah.com

done and done.

I was trying to get more into canyoneering this year, but a slow summer at work prevented me from picking up the ropes and trianing I needed to. Hopefully next spring. I really want to do Quandry, Alcatraz, and some of the ones down in the Robbers Roost area.

Like Brett said, we did L. Wild Horse and Bell, and I went and did Lower Black Box a few weeks ago. I think black box is still doable, but you would probably want a wet suit to keep you warm once it starts to cool down.

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Sounds like a good time! Supposidly I have now have a big audit coming this weekend so who knows if I can go now :mad:

But if I do I think I'll head to Goblin Valley! :D

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
If one was to do the Zions Narrows, what time of year is the best time to go?

depends on your gear and desire to deal with cold. I would say this is the tail end of the perfect time to do it. Mid august to mid september.

It's easiest below 50 cfm's, but this time of year I would deffinately bring a wet suit or some warmer clothes in a dry bag that you an use when the temperature drops in the late afternoon.

allterrain

AllTerrain
If one was to do the Zions Narrows, what time of year is the best time to go?

I have done it in late June (high water- some swimmin' in the deep spots) and the weather is a little cooler for camping and I just did it this year in late August. Low water, easy walking. Don't miss Orderville Canyon when in the Narrows. It was a blast this year with several swims across pools and log scrambles that you had to do.
For a bigger challenge with ropes, you can try Water Canyon which is outside Zion's above Hildale. You'll see Plygs o'plenty going through town!
You hike up the side of a narrow canyon and then go down through the middle.
Several swims and repels but there are anchors and webbing in place.
Just did it with my kids right before school started.

Last edited: