Best Slot Canyons???

kkemp

OK, someone beat me to it, but Peek-a-boo and Spooky Gulches in Escalante Grand Staircase are really awesome. I was just down there. They provide some challenge to get though too. Plan on scrambling, especially in Peek-a-boo. These are the best slots I've been to in Utah , but I've never been to the Zion Narrows.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
OK, someone beat me to it, but Peek-a-boo and Spooky Gulches in Escalante Grand Staircase are really awesome. I was just down there. They provide some challenge to get though too. Plan on scrambling, especially in Peek-a-boo. These are the best slots I've been to in Utah , but I've never been to the Zion Narrows.

Bumping an old thread, but with the weather warming up I'm thinking about slot canyons!

We made a trip out to Escalante over 2 yrs ago and hiked Spooky and Peak-o-boo and they were a blast! We had to work pretty hard in a couple spots, I needed to pretty much pull my wife up a 8' vertical climb at one point. I would love to get back out there and run those canyons again.

https://www.rme4x4.com/threads/exploring-escalante-and-beyond.110358/#post-1052353

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
We did the Orderville slot last spring along with Buckskin Gulch. Buckskin was amazing, we came in from Wire Pass and made it several miles down the gulch. We need to do the entire route some day when we have more time. It is the longest and deepest slot canyon in the Southwest.

Attachments

• buckskin.jpg
    buckskin.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 9

Houndoc

Spooky Gulch if you don't mind REALY tight (I do mind), Little Wild Horse is fun one that is better for us claustrophobic souls.

We did the Orderville slot last spring along with Buckskin Gulch. Buckskin was amazing, we came in from Wire Pass and made it several miles down the gulch. We need to do the entire route some day when we have more time. It is the longest and deepest slot canyon in the Southwest.

Buckskin is my favorite of all time - especially if you want to go without ropes. I've hiked it all the way out to the Colorado. I probably wouldn't do that again just because it is kind of a slog and isn't nearly as much of a slot a few miles below the confluence of Buckskin and Paria.

jsudar

We just did Wire pass and some of Buckskin Gulch on Saturday. Made it out before the rain came. Wire Pass is short but a lot of fun. Great for kids. We hiked up and down Buckskin until it was time to go wading, turned around and went back out Wire Pass. My kids (ages 3-12) thought it was the best hike we've ever done. It's narrow enough to really feel like a slot canyon, but not claustrophobic. I never had to take the child carrier pack off (except to get over the rock jam) but it did rub both sides of the canyon on occasion. Highly recommended.