best trails to ride in Moab?

pELYgroso

'Merica
I'm going to Moab riding with a few buddies this weekend and am wondering which trails are the best to ride for non-street legal bikes? We definitely like some technical stuff but like the scenery as well! Any suggestions?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
If you want some single track, you can't go wrong with the Sovereign Trail. You can stage from the Archview RV Park and Shell gas station accross from the turn off to Dead Horse Point. They also sell a trail map at the gas station for around $5 I believe. Money from the map sales goes to Ride With Respect, who is responsible for this great trail system.

plaidfro

Awesome, thanks guys! Do all of those trails have some techniclal ledges/climbs in them?

I had rope when I first went down through pritchett expecting to have to lift or lower bikes up and down ledges... but I never had to get the rope out as I didn't find any of the ledges that I was warned about. Most obstacles were quite easy to maneuver around on a dirtbike.

pELYgroso

'Merica
wow, that sovereign trail looks awesome! I think we may try that one out! And ditto to Grim's question.....is there a printed map available??

SportSawyer

Note this caveat on the Bookcliff Rattlers map page:

"Note - The Moab BLM field office is currently redoing their Resource Management Plan and some of the trails on our map will be closed. Please refer to their map (when it becomes available) and any signage for the latest information."

Well, the RMP was completed, the BLM maps are available, and some of the trails are closed. So it's best to get the BLM Moab Field Office maps to make sure you're on designated trails. See:

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/recreation/motorized_routes/copy.html

It's sort of irresponsible to keep posting the link to the Bookcliff Rattlers map. It's no longer valid.

Last edited:

rholbrook

It's sort of irresponsible to keep posting the link to the Bookcliff Rattlers map. It's no longer valid.

You are right about it being invalid and I don't condone riding closed areas but it will give them some names to look up and for that purpose it is a great map.

I should have put a statment in the post to say to verify with the BLM before riding any of the trails list on the map.

When I was there in November, a lot of the open trails have really nice new markers on them. I know that doesn't mean they are still marked and I know Tyler to be a responsible off roader.

pELYgroso

'Merica
I definitely wouldn't ride where I know I'm not supposed to, but thanks for bringing that up...I'll for sure check on which trails are open and closed!