Best Transmission Pan Gasket

1993yj

Need to do a new transmission gasket on my YJ with the 999 auto. Seems there are lots of options for gasket material these days (cork, rubber, felt, lube locker). My current one is more of a plastic material, but it has been a while since I have replaced it I really can't remember exactly what material it is. I have had to chase leaking issues on this gasket and previous gaskets forever so I like the idea of the lube locker, but reviews on those for a trans seems mixed.

What are the opinions of this group as to the best auto trans gasket material?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Need to do a new transmission gasket on my YJ with the 999 auto. Seems there are lots of options for gasket material these days (cork, rubber, felt, lube locker). My current one is more of a plastic material, but it has been a while since I have replaced it I really can't remember exactly what material it is. I have had to chase leaking issues on this gasket and previous gaskets forever so I like the idea of the lube locker, but reviews on those for a trans seems mixed.

What are the opinions of this group as to the best auto trans gasket material?
I'm a huge fan of Lube Locker, but the cover/pan needs to be a good flat surface on the flange. Most stamped steel trans pans I've experienced would probably leak with a Lube Locker. I like the rubber or poly plastic trans gaskets.

1993yj

It’s a deeper aftermarket pan with a drain plug that hasn’t been hit and having not dropped it yet the flange looks straight. May have to try the lube locker. If it doesn’t work I am still in the same boat I am in now.

1993yj

I have never used the Right Stuff, but have made many gaskets out of Permatex with similar results to cork gaskets, main difference being what a pain it is to scrape Permatex off when redoing a pan. I even tried a combo of permatex and a cork gasket for this pan once. Worked just as well as either alone.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I’ve always used the nice Felpro gaskets in the past but I’ve liked my lubelockers on my diffs so much I ordered one for my trans. Plus Amazon has them so that’s amazing

1993yj

Did the lube locker, and while that seems to be good, I apparently have a bigger job ahead of me. Looks like the trans output shaft seal is likely leaking.D6D56537-6DCB-4DF9-8952-84A589D779A0.jpegAD3B33D0-785E-4AB5-892E-EC1E7AF78582.jpeg

1993yj

Just realized it’s not the output shaft as that is on the tcase side of this section. This appears to be the gasket for the tail section of the trans

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
If you can get a Lube Locker gasket for that, DO IT. They are hands down the best gaskets available, and reusable a couple times usually, I've been using them on everything I can get them for, no hassles, no leaks, 100% satisfied for the last 15yrs+