best way to paint polished aluminum rims?

pELYgroso

'Merica
I picked up some new rims for the runner and I'd like to paint them gloss black. Any suggestions on paint brand or tricks to get a nice finish that will last awhile?

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
x2

Or, if you' want to do it on the cheap, hit it with a wire wheel, throw on some self-etching primer (sometimes called metal-etching primer), then paint.

This is the route I went, I wanted to do it cheap. Worked pretty good for the price, although I did notice the other day that one wheel is starting to peel. I had some pics somewhere, I'll have to do some digging to see if I can find it so you can see the finished product.

Coco

I wouldnt wire wheel it, you let it sit too long, or it catches, you will gouge out the aluminum.

Sand blast them, and then paint or powder coat.

STAG

On my grind
This is the route I went, I wanted to do it cheap. Worked pretty good for the price, although I did notice the other day that one wheel is starting to peel. I had some pics somewhere, I'll have to do some digging to see if I can find it so you can see the finished product.

I could say this same thing with the H2's on my duramax. They looked great for a year, and just started to peel last week a tiny bit. Advanced Powdercoating quoted me $20/wheel to have them powdercoated.

STAG

On my grind
This is 1 year after I painted mine. Just barely started peeling. I sanded by hand most of the wheel surfaces, used self etching primer on all 4, and clear coated 3 of the 4. Base coat and clear coat were made specially for wheels. This is the one that did not get clear coated, and by far the worst of the 4. I think the reason why it started peeling is I just bought an unlimited wash pass to SuperSonic car wash and have been washing my truck a lot more.

image_zpsceb9df97.jpg

Last edited:

Rogerwh0

I own a body shop so let me help a little here. Procedure is as follows, Soap and water with red scotchbrite to prep surface, let air dry , clean with wax and grease remover, apply metal etch primer, apply top coat in the designated flash time for the primer.
It will always be extremly hard to get paint to stick where the lugnuts crush and break it. It is best to mask or set lugnuts in while painting to cover that area to prevent the paint edge from being damaged when the lugnuts are installed on the vehicle. Just lift the lugnuts out after the the paint is applied but while it is still wet.
We have painted several sets of wheels for customers and have not had one peeling or lifting problem. Good quality pait will go along ways. I would go to a paint supply company and tell them what you are doing, they will get you the best materials to insure a long lasting quality finish. I can call my supplier and have them sell it to you at my cost. They have a store in Orem, SLC and Ogden.

Last edited:

reddman

Fabber
Plus you bead blast the aluminum instead of sand. Or even soda blast them

I think the "tooth" of a coarse sandblasted surface is most appropriate here. Glass bead, and especially soda and dry ice blasting, don't rough up the surface in the way that sand will, and won't hold a paint or powdercoat as well when starting with a polished surface.

That said, I HATE welding to any aluminum that has been contaminated further with imbedded blasting media (cast aluminum wheels are dirty enough), so if you will be using these in a way likely to crack them (like offroading), you may save yourself some trouble by following the aforementioned idea of keeping them shinny.

My $0.02

Coco

Here is one we did the other night. Started with an old FJ80 wheel, (had a bit more corrosion than this wheel, this is just a generic wheel I found via Google)

for012_zpsd1c4ea05.jpg

then we sandblasted it:

D855F2C0-A123-46E7-88C3-28CFB7DCBF3D-933-000002818C754015_zpsb409e9e0.jpg

then we sprayed some primer on it:

33ED175C-C89A-41F3-8C69-7B9D65CAF6D9-933-0000028191C7F124_zpse4dedbe5.jpg

And finally 2 coates of Rustoleam semi gloss black:

61EB9161-4A02-4AC0-BF12-28B841194E4D-933-00000281967C621A_zpsc7f88898.jpg

Turned out pretty good, time consuming on the sand blaster, but quicker than sanding.