Best wheel paint?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
While this may be unpopular to paint a black wheel to something else, I’m not a black wheel guy. The tires that are on my truck aren’t at end of life but I’ll be replacing them next fall. Powder coating guys will strip your wheel color down anyway before applying your color, correct?

2842C69C-2102-43CE-B1CE-7137D24DAC83.jpeg

I think a gray wheel would look better than a chrome wheel on this truck? These aren’t the highest quality wheels so I’m likely going to paint these to something similar to below?

BC4F9D91-589D-4F63-80B2-1874550BE69C.jpeg
That’s really not my favorite truck Ford has ever made but these wheels and the aggressive tires make this look ok to me.

4AC1F99F-2256-47A6-8788-A69C1B65AA40.jpeg
That’s kind of the color I’m looking for. Somewhere between this color and the 17-19 above.

A3335AD7-33BB-489B-8D39-AF1CD7EA9E5B.jpeg
I like these significantly more than black but am not quite sold on the goldfish color.

My question is, will the powder coasters give a rat if I have painted over the black wheels? The wheels I have are cheap aftermarket jobs but have some interesting design to them. One would never know as they just get lost on the acreage of the Super Duty. I’m thinking I’d try a color or two out with decent wheel paint before settling on a different wheel or powder coating the wheels (that’s pretty permanent and a bit of an investment)

Thoughts?

Reactions: DAA

DAA

The goldfish would look okay on a Trans Am.

Be interested in what you hear. I was going to get the wheels on the LX powder coated to look like new for my daughter. But she used up all that money and more with a fender bender. So that ain't happening. But she has been asking me if I could just paint them. Which, I've no idea.

I know guys used to use that plasti-crap stuff on wheels but I think that's pretty temporary? But I was going to look into that for the LX.

- DAA

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
This is something I need to do sometime soon. I bought some VHT paint made specifically for wheels, for whatever that's worth. I've been procrastinating though, since I need to strip off the partly-peeled clearcoat first. :(

I don't mind the black wheels on your truck. The silver version picture is hideous. I do like the gray though.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
The powder coater won't care if you rattle-can your wheels or not. If they're doing a good job for you, they'll sand blast the wheels first anyways.

The wheel-specific spray paints seem to hold up pretty well actually, as long as your prep is good (I know you know how important the prep is).

The plasti dip idea I think is nice actually to try out colors short term - then once you settle on a color you like, peel it and do a legit job with actual paint.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I've got a wheel paint kit from Plastdip with metal prep and Gunmetal Grey cans, if you want to try something temporary. I think it cost $80?? I'd be happy with $40 shipped.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The only issue with any OEM wheels, is that they won't work well with a wide tire. They are too narrow and will feather the edge of the tread on anything wider than a 285.

FWIW, a 285/75 on a 18" wheel is 34" diameter actual measurements.9E463776-F0E2-45CC-A59A-354A64FFDAF9.jpeg

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I think they look like this, but they are in my garage in Midvale, I’ll have to check for sure.

View attachment 117702

If there's good tread on those, I'd be interested in seeing how they work out. Let me know when you can meet up? I'm at 33rd S 500 W most days. Midvale's not to far.

I've got a wheel paint kit from Plastdip with metal prep and Gunmetal Grey cans, if you want to try something temporary. I think it cost $80?? I'd be happy with $40 shipped.

Sold! Venmo ? PayPal? I think I can send you $ out of America First or Mountain America nowadays as well?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
If there's good tread on those, I'd be interested in seeing how they work out. Let me know when you can meet up? I'm at 33rd S 500 W most days. Midvale's not to far.

Sold! Venmo ? PayPal? I think I can send you $ out of America First or Mountain America nowadays as well?

PayPal is fine, grgardner at gmail dot com

Send your addy with the payment and I'll get it out this weekend.

D

Deleted member 12904

So I’m going to be the minority here because I like gold wheels.

But as far as sandblasting or media blasting It doesn’t matter if it’s spray paint or not.

I always have stuff powder coated at a place called durable powder coating off Nike Drive in West Jordan. He is dirt cheap but will do no prep work. But I normally just take stuff up to Blast products in North Salt Lake and those guys for whatever reason always have a cash price LoL. They will strip whatever is on the wheel superfast wipe it down with some lacquer thinner and then drop it off for powder coat. The guy at durable does a lot of production stuff and if I’m not picky on color are usually just ask him what he’s got going on in the next coming week and there’s been more than one time he’s just done stuff for me in the same batch as other stuff for Damn near free.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
The tires aren’t any good. I was waiting for my 18’s to wear out, then planned to buy tires for the 20’s.
I just don’t drive my truck often, so it’s taking a while to wear out my 18’s.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Bronze five stars like SCS makes on a black truck is one of my favorite looks, but I dunno if that color would work on your Superduty. Too much chrome for that, I think.

What's your stud pattern? I've got these I'm trying to get rid of, if they float your boat make me an offer.