BFG KM3 tires

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Looking to put some new tires on the JLUR. We are going with 35s even though all 4 door wranglers should have at least 37s.:ugh:

We went with BFG KO2s on the JK and F350 and really like them. They are my favorite all around tire. I haven't had BFG mud terrains in a while and used to really like them too. I was wondering if RME has some experience with the KM3. I am specifically worried about noise, ride, and feathering. I love maxxis trepadors, but the last few sets have feathered pretty bad.

Also, the stock JL comes with 33" KO2s that are C rated. Should I step up to a tougher (E rated) tire while I am at it?

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Absolutely, D would give you the capacity and not be too stiff.

I am having a hard time finding a size that will work for me in either of those tires that is D rated, either C or E.

C rated KO2 are showing 2535 rating and E shows 3195 rating.

RockChucker

No experience with them, and my rig isn't your average rig, but I'm waiting for a set of 39's to come off back order (hopefully before the 2nd tuesday of next week) and I'm going to run them as my "street" tire.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Personally I wouldn't go with the E (10-ply) as I feel they are too stiff and hard off-road. In a Jeep you really don't need the actual weigh carrying capacity like in a light truck. A "D" (8-ply) would be the highest ply I would go in a Jeep.

I can't speak for the KM3 specifically but I had the KM2 and although it handled absolutely fantastic off-road I didn't care for the on-road performance and unfortunately that is where my Jeep spends the majority of its time, probably like most people who daily drive their Jeeps if they're being honest with themselves. The KM2 was noisy and got worse as they wore, they didn't get the longevity that I was hoping for (although for a mud-terrain was better than most) and winter driving on-pavement flat sucked. Any skiff of snow on the highways and I was in 4WD to even get out of its own way.

I switched to the KO2 after the KM2 and absolutely loved that tire both on and off-road. Highway driving was deathly quiet and winter driving was 2WD with no issues.

I nearly went with the KO2's again this time around when I stepped from the 35" to the 37" but opted to try something different because all I have had over the past 25 years have been BFG's. My fear was I would buy a tire and then kick myself for not going with the KO2 that I was already very pleased with all-around but just wanted something "different" this time and a little more aggressive without actually going back to a mud-terrain. I opted for the Nitto Ridge Grappler and thus far have been very pleased with the performance but only have 3k on them so far.

Mike

DAA

So I have a KM3. One. Tore a sidewall on one of my KM2's and the road hazard replacement is a KM3.

Really pretty hard to say much of anything after only a few thousand miles on one tire :D.

But, my first impression is that it is actually louder than the KM2. It's not supposed to be, so maybe it really isn't, but that is definitely my impression.

I am on my third set of 35" KM2's on the LJ. They have all been D. No D in this size in the KM3 though, so it's an E. So it's a bit heavier. Not a lot, but some. I'm not a fan of unsprung weight, so I wish I could get them in a little bit lighter D. Oh well.

None of my KM2's have ever feathered at all. So I don't expect the KM3 to either. We'll see though.

Without having them all KM3, I can't say about ride. Being a heavier E, I'm afraid they won't ride quite as nice, but again, we'll see - when the KM2's are all toast I'll be going with a full set of KM3's.

I don't prefer E's on a Jeep either. Not on my LJ anyway. But on a JLU, I don't think the E is much of a penalty. When we got the 315 KO2's for Cindy's JLU, I asked and paid for C's - they were cheaper and lighter and likely a better ride and I thought a better choice. But we got E's. I didn't complain, because I only paid $1,250 for five of them out the door, but it's not what I told them I wanted. I needn't have worried about the ride on that JLU. It still rides like a Cadillac. If there is any penalty to running the E's on it, I totally absolutely can not tell. Not with KO2's anyway.

- DAA

gatchmo5710

I run my C rated KO2's at 8 psi and love the cloud ride. Would not recommend higher load ratings unless you tow.

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
I have had a customers be really happy with the KM3s.
I have switched all my rigs over to Falken now and couldnt be happier with the ride, noise and performance. MT01s on the Jeep and AT3Ws on the tundra. Smooth ride, NO noise and hook up great. The AT3Ws even have a 55k mile tread life warranty.

Bart

I had KM2s on this rig when I bought it and they seemed a bit noisy. Switched to KM3s a month ago and they are quieter, and very smooth on the freeway. I really like them.

woodysfj40

eternal noobie
I have about 20k miles over 2 years on my 315-75x16 KM3's. My Land Cruiser FZJ80 is 7000#+, and does double duty right now as my tow rig and olaf/chase truck. Three Baja trips, two Rubicon runs, one Dusy run, and more time wheeling Sand Hollow than I can count. (see #th30in30 ...lol) These tires are trashed, with weeks on end at 20psi. They still ride and handle great. Will be tossing the RTT on it for a day at EJS soon :) IMO, great tire choice.