bike nerds....advice please

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
it won't matter $5k worth. A few years ago I test-rode some new-for-that-year Trek Fuels, specifically the $8-900 model, to compare to my handbuilt, $5k (no, I didn't pay even close to that, I bought a demo bike from a friend :D ) Ellsworth. The Trek was heavier, and has less-aesthetically-pleasing parts, the brake levers didn't feel as nice as my XTR's, but the suspension felt pretty damn close, and for $4k off, I'd definitely buy that over another Ellsworth if something terrible happened to my baby. :D

Point is, in bikes, you can spend whatever you want. After a certain point, you're paying for stuff other than actual performance. Weight is a big one.... but visuals are often very pricey upgrades, despite what the shop guy will try and bullsh*t you into believing. In times past there was a HUGE performance difference between entry level and race-level. Nowadays, the cheap stuff works damn well, just weighs more.

I'd like to see Jdub's scale shot, too. Weights are one of those things that get played fast and loose with. On Guthrie's fish scale, my bike, with no exotic bits and coil springs, and huge tires, weighed just under 27lbs. Good enough. People I rode with claimed 22lb coil-sprung bikes, and there is just no way. :D

anyway, get something, ride the hell out of it, upgrade if you see the need. I think you'll get a lot of good mileage out of the bike listed, esp. w/Jdub tuning it up for you. ;)

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I've been going back and forth on what I want to do, and I'm not sure still.

I found this

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/bik/1882991449.html

I've talked to the guy, it's still available, and that is obviously a ridiculously dope bike. I Just think it's more bike than I need and can appreciate. On Friday I was going to buy this bike, and today I'm thinking I would be far better suited to buy a used bike for around $1000 to $1500 since I'm only going to do 2-3 tri's per year and have no idea how much more into cycling I"ll get once I have a decent bike. I could go crazy with it, or I could approach it more as a hobby.

Any thoughts? Is this a ridiculous enough deal that I should jump on it, or am I silly to buy a bike that is this nice considering I'm more or less an entry level cyclist?

jdub

Scrambler
Now we are talking! How tall are you? Carbon bars and even tires are very nice. Tires retail ~$80 each. Bars ~$200. This is a bike you would be happy with and it will hold value through it's use.
It looks like it is all 7800 dura-ace components. FYI there are two levels. 7800 & 7900. 2010 dura-ace 7900 recieved a major upgrade. That is where the BD bike really excels. It has 7900. Will the 5k difference be felt? From what you describe, not really. Being able to drop that Specialized off at a local shop to get any warranty/service done at your convenience is part of the price and mostly is for the tech in the frames, like you said be part of the club, ect.
The majority of our triathletes actually ride a 105/ultegra bike for around a grand and do very well. The sport is very costly- accounting for running shoes,biking shoes running apparel, wetsuits, sunglasses, swim caps, razors, cliff bars, bike, helmet, entry fees and all the time invested to train plus travel expenses. A thousand to fifteen-hundred is pretty standard and even competitive considering what everyone else has invested. The athletes that have the super nice bikes and gear that you see are sponsored or self sponsored millionaires. They train most of the day-every day.
Cerevelo is a good brand. it is dated as the new 2011 is now coming out to the stores. But there aren't any components on that bike that I would not recommend.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I'm 6'1", almost 6'2" and about 190 lbs. Once i get into training I typically drop closer to 180-182 though.

I guess what it comes down to for me is if that Cervelo would make my transition into longer triathlon distances and into cycling in general more enjoyable. If so, I can justify the extra cost. If not, or if it's too aggressive of a bike to the extent that it would be harder for me then I wouldn't justify the cost.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
You're about my size, then. I would get that Cervelo. Nicer bikes make it easier to ride, not harder. I don't think that particular bike is all that aggressive-- for what you want it for it's a good deal that will serve you well, and you can still resell it if you decide you hate tri's. :D

There are at least a couple groups that train in the wind along the lake, and a couple "century" rides out in Tooele County all the time if you decide you like that kind of thing. I think it's just pure suffering, but I prefer mt. trails to the road. Tomato, tomahto.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
...but will it serve me more well than a bike 1/2 the price, a new set of tires for the jeep, and an ARB fridge would serve me ;)

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
...but will it serve me more well than a bike 1/2 the price, a new set of tires for the jeep, and an ARB fridge would serve me ;)

No, no it will not. :D If those things are also needs, or strong desires at least :D, get the cheaper bike. Like I said, if my sweet handcrafted beauty disappeared, I'd be happy with the ride of something half the cost.

jdub

Scrambler
I would look for a 58cm bike. Take a stroll over to your local bike shop and act interested in them, take a 56 for a spin and then a 58. I actually like a 61 due to my crazy long legs (37.75'') I just shorten the stem a little and I am 6'1''. If you bought a bike from me we would be talking 58 or 61 depending on your inseam and torso length. Some tri riders like the smaller frames, they also have to deal with their handle bar height being a lot lower in relation to their seat height. As well as the cramped cockpit resulting in knees hitting elbows ect. Whatever bike you get let's make sure it is a perfect fit!

jdub

Scrambler
Yeah, not much legs there. 56cm might be a home run then, Just a longer stem and saddle scooted back. The other option is a 58 with a shorter stem and seat a little forward. Depending on comfort. Although, making sure you can stand over the frame doesn't ensure that it is "the best fit." You have an unusually short inseam due to your height. Just means you need to be meticulous about the fit, or your bike will hurt your body. Depending how the bike fit went at the store, you should be ok. Did they keep your measurements?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
cervelo.jpg

:cody: