bike nerds....advice please

jdub

Scrambler
Nice buy! Not sure if you know, you can re-arrange the stack of spacers where your stem attaches to your fork. You have two spacers above the stem and can move to the bottom if you want more handlebar height.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Oh really? Wow, hmm, you sure?

I don't have pedals or shoes yet so I'd probably wait until after that.

I'm having severe buyers remorse right now. This bike popped up

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/bik/1894065718.html

Which isn't as nice but I think it's nice enough and I can't help but think of all the things I could use an extra $1000 on right now. Hopefully I get over it.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
...and here is my dad's old 57 Schwinn Globe 3 speed that is now in working order

IMAG0072.jpg

jdub

Scrambler
Na, the scott that gave you buying remorse (2004) that's old. I laugh(inside) when people ask if our carbon fiber bikes will last 5 years. If a steel bike from 57 can....

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Pedals are now becoming a point of immense frustration for me. I've been into 4 shops and talked to everyone I know that is into this. The only thing that people agree on is that they really like what they run, and don't like the other options. This would be great, other than nobody seems to run the same thing. In the shops, 1/3 run Shimano SPD, 1/3 run Look, and the rest run something else (Speedplay, Time, MB pedals). It seems most shop workers don't like the speedplays, but in 3 of the 4 shops a customer has come up to me to praise the awesometivity of the speedplays. The guy I bought my bike from, who is by all accounts a rediculous cyclist, runs Look but told me to take a long hard look at the Speedplays (I had no idea what a speedplay was at the moment). My boss runs Look and hates everything about the speedplay, and another close friend who is an avid cyclist loves everything about his speedplays, and hates the Look.

Seriously, whiskey tango ****trot?

I have a borrowed set of Shimano spd's on right now, and they are difficult for me to clip into. I realize there is a learning curve here, but it just "seems" like the speedplays would be easier to get into.

Last edited:

MattL

Quick and simple, if you have knee problems speedplay is awesome for both mtb and road. One noticeable problem is you might get "hot feet" from the small platform. I have had them and love them for both types of bikes. I just bought a pair of Shimano Ultegra 6700 pedals. Similar to the look cleat but Shimano brand. I like the change but miss the no restrictiveness from the Speedplay. Standing on Speedplay pedals is like standing on ice. There is no retention spring like the the shimano/look pedal system. The first little bit is a bit challenging but its easy to get with a bit of patience.

Have fun on the new wheels!

jdub

Scrambler
We only stock shimano for the name, Everything else is fair game as far as you described. Everybody loves what they run. Shimano r540's are hard to beat. Heavier but work like the big brothers Ultegra and Dura-ace. They use the same cleats. R540's can be had at ~60$. Anything else is cool in their own way. If your boss runs look then you should run look:rolleyes: They have a budget version at $80 I think. Spd's are difficult to get in for some. Once you wrap your head around what is going on under your feet to clip in you should be fine. A crash 'cause of clipless is standard when getting used to them. Just a heads up!