Bitcoin

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
So those of you that have bought crypto currency. Whats your end goal? Are you treating it like your 401k or are you waiting for a target valuation before cashing out? Just along for the ride? Reading through the thread it certainly seems like everyone here is considering it more as an investment verses a currency.

ozzy702

Wow... really interesting to see everyone in crypto. I guess it is starting to go mainstream. I've been in it since 2012 and learned a lot. One of those things is don't underestimate the value of time in the market. I sold hundreds of BTC for $100-$150 during the first big run up where everyone cried "bubble" and at the time there was also quite a bit of FUD surrounding potential legal action against BTC miners and users.

I'm in BTC, ETH, XMR, and a few others long term. I dabble in BCH and LTC as well. Best of luck to everyone!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So those of you that have bought crypto currency. Whats your end goal? Are you treating it like your 401k or are you waiting for a target valuation before cashing out? Just along for the ride? Reading through the thread it certainly seems like everyone here is considering it more as an investment verses a currency.

My endgoal is to make a sh!t-ton of money! :D

Honestly, I find it quite interesting... it's fun to learn about blockchain and get involved in what very well could be the next evolution in currency. I plan to buy more Litecoin in the future and hope to see it take off like Bitcoin has. I'd love to make 5000% on my investments! :eek:

The one thing I don't understand is what drives the prices... I bought my one Litecoin less than a week ago and it's more than doubled in value in less than a week.

ozzy702

My endgoal is to make a sh!t-ton of money! :D

Honestly, I find it quite interesting... it's fun to learn about blockchain and get involved in what very well could be the next evolution in currency. I plan to buy more Litecoin in the future and hope to see it take off like Bitcoin has. I'd love to make 5000% on my investments! :eek:

The one thing I don't understand is what drives the prices... I bought my one Litecoin less than a week ago and it's more than doubled in value in less than a week.

Supply and demand. Demand right now is 99% speculation, 1% utility.

ozzy702

That seems too simple... :)

From a tech standpoint, BTC is one of the worst cryptos. It's #1 though because it has name recognition, first mover advantage, a proven track record and people believe in it. All that adds up to insane speculation for BTC and people claiming 50k by 2019. Guess what, on a tech/utility only basis, BTC is pretty much worthless, but I have every reason to believe that BTC will hit 50k by 2019 because the market isn't about tech or utility right now, it's about hype and speculation surrounding hype.

It's also why IOTA, EOS, NEO and a few others have serious market caps despite not having anything to show for it. They are essentially still white papers with no tech backing them.

If the market were about utility then Ethereum would have 95% of the total crypto market cap because it currently has a great deal of utility and it's road map incorporates literally everything any other crypto (sans maybe XMR) can do. Think of Ethereum as the BORG of blockchains. They have a crazy good Dev team and partnerships with a who's who of business through the EEA. https://entethalliance.org/

The market right now isn't about utility, it's about speculation on price and that's primarily driven by hype and marketing. That said, I wouldn't bet against BTC anytime soon. It's still the 500lb gorilla and that won't change in 2018.

ozzy702

For those of you who want to get into crypto but are afraid of the risk, complexity, etc... I've been trying out heleum because many of my family members are interested in investing. I popped about 1% of my crypto stack into it to try it out and it's been fun to watch. Returns have been much higher than the 2% per month they claim as the minimum return. They're a local company that's piggybacking off of the uphold platform. At the moment the bot trades BTC, ETH, LTC and a bunch of different fiat currencies. As uphold adds more crypto it will trade those as well.

My impression so far is that they are a solid team, with a decent trading algo that they are improving. I'd say it's more in beta than anything right now but some of the improvements coming this spring should make the platform more flexible and more profitable. Increased user base should also allow them to reduce the fees from uphold and allow for more frequent trading if it's warranted.

https://heleum.com/

EDIT: I have nothing to do with the Heleum team. I don't know them personally and didn't share my affiliate link (everyone can get 1% referrals).

Caleb

I've been trying heleum for a little while. I put a couple litecoins worth (about $1000) in and in the month or so I've had my money there, it's almost doubled (about $1800 right now) but I haven't had any balloons "pop". It's interesting. I'll let this money ride and see where it goes :D

Caleb

If you are interested in the blockchain for more than just currency, you guys should check out some of the stuff my company is doing with it. (Really a subsidiary of my company, tzero). Our CEO has been on the blockchain bandwagon long before there was even a wagon to be on. Overstock was the first major retailer to accept bitcoin and now they can accept most major altcoins.

Caleb

If you want to see how silly the block chain/crypto mania has become, look up Long Island Ice Tea...err, I mean Long Island Blockchain...

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
If you want to see how silly the block chain/crypto mania has become, look up Long Island Ice Tea...err, I mean Long Island Blockchain...

I read that the other day, insane!!

Did anybody lose some cyber-green today with bitcoin's drop in value? do y'all think it will go back up to the $20k range?

It's been interesting watch the rapid rise, hoping Litecoin comes down a bit furher so I can buy more. ;)

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Just spent a few hundo on coinbase to get a mixture of BTC, Litecoin and Ethereum just for kicks. Now do I need to look into the whole "wallet" thing? #cryptonoob #noideawhatiamdoing