Black Hills?

smfulle

Hey all,
Next summer I'll be attending a Flat Fender meet up and trail ride near Deerfield Lake in the Black Hills. Most of the rigs attending this event are stock vintage jeeps. We have some local trail guides that will be helping us see the sights.
What I was wondering is if there are any trails that are a little bit more challenging in the vicinity of Deerfield Lake that some of the more adventurous of us might take on maybe in the evening after the regular trail ride? Don't want anything too challenging, but some of us like to try a little more than dirt road sight seeing if there is any available nearby that we could get to without driving too far.. We do like the dirt road sightseeing. and flat fender people are some of the best around to hang out with, but a couple of us do like to challenge our machines just a little.
Here's a link to a google map pin of Deerfield Lake.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/D...f7436d19a6171!8m2!3d44.0201829!4d-103.7969939

ID Bronco

I wheeled the Hal Jons Trail system years ago and found it to be some of my favorite trails ever. KONG was my favorite trail. May not be what your after, but that area is fantastic, and had lots of dirt roads too.

smfulle

I don't know why, but info on specific trails in the Black Hills seems to be very spotty. Lots of the forums and websites say "get a local guide."
Last year we camped in the Sturgis/Whitewood area and did some rocks off Camp 5 Road. We're going to be camping 40 or more miles away from that this year and hoped there was some similar stuff in the Deerfield Lake area.
If we can't find anything closer, we will probably head back up to Camp 5 road for one of our days that week. I just hate to do an hour or more of pavement time to get to something if there is good stuff closer.
Here's some video from last year. It was a good challenge for our "mostly stock" flatties.

joez

The south dakota guys for whatever reason keep these trails very tightly guarded. They are all considered roads, but don't show up on Google Maps like the trails in Moab do. At least they didnt when i was last there in 2016. The maps available from the Forest Service website are great if you save them onto a tablet and bring that with you, and you use them in conjunction with the GPS files you can download. I have been there on a few 10 day long trips, and absolutely love it up there.

It is beautiful up there, and is some of my favorite wheeling. Off hand i cant remember anything of any difficulty over by Deerfield Lake, but i will check my maps. We always stay outside of Deadwood near Camp 5 road, and know we will be driving long distances when we want to get to anywhere that isn't right there near Camp 5.