Bolt removal out of engine block.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Hey one of the bolts busted off when I took off the intake manifold. not much left to weld to any ideas on how to remove it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

olywrestle

Duct Tape
You need a small drill bit (smaller than the bolt) to drill down through the center of the frozen bolt. They then make a remover that you pound down in there that grips the bolt so you can try and turn it out. be carefull not to break the remover, because they are a ***** to drill through.

There have been times when trying to remove a bolt that I cannot get it out like that. in those cases, I have had to heat the bolt up with a torch and melt candle wax down into the threads of the bolt to get it removed. ( the heating of the bolt shrinks it enough to let wax get down through the threads.

As a last resort you can drill it out completely and Heli-coil it. But of course that is only if you have enough metal around it for that.

Good luck and be carelful

Last edited:

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
If there is any piece left that you can get vice grips on I would do the peneatrating oil and go that way before I would try an easy out... Broken way too many easy-outs to get excited about using them...

mesha

By endurance we conquer
There is nothing left to grab onto it is pretty much flush with the block. I have used screw extractors before, but each time they have broken. I will try to heat it up. I was wondering, what if I found a washer that was the size of the bolt then welded the washer to it. Then welded a nut to the washer. I would use a washer first because it has a hole in the middle. I don't know.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
mesha said:
I was wondering, what if I found a washer that was the size of the bolt then welded the washer to it. Then welded a nut to the washer. I would use a washer first because it has a hole in the middle. I don't know.

This is exactly what I was going to say. My buddy owns a muffler shop, and he says that's the way to do it. Just spray the bolt with anti-seize and let it soak in good, or it'll just break again.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I've welded nuts to bolts that are significantly below the surface. You just have to weld a little gob of wire onto the bolt, and build it up until you can weld the nut to the gob. Tricky, but not impossible. Refer to my broken bolt removal thread from a couple months ago.

Caleb

olywrestle said:
( the heating of the bolt shrinks it enough to let wax get down through the threads.

Good luck and be carelful

jsut to let you know, heating it will make the material expand (heat=expand, cold=shrink)...the thing that you may ahve going for ya is the material around the bolt will expand more than the bolt itself...also b heating it up you will also break-up the rust/corosion that has seized the bolt in there...this is also a reason why welding a nut or nother bolt to it works so well, you get it really hot from welding and you now have a new place to wrench on...

Darwin

GREASE MONKEY
If you put a small brass washer over whats left of the bolt and then a big nut around 5/8 or 11/16 you can usually get quite a bit of weld on it without hurting anything also the heat will help break it loose

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
mesha said:
Why a brass washer?

Because the weld won't stick to the brass, so in effect you are creating a barrier between the nut that you are welding and the engine block.