Book recommendations

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I need some book recommendations from a male perspective. I listen to books on cd at work and my wife gives me the worst books. Any recommendations would be much appreciated as long as it has nothing to do with Stephanie Meyer
puke.gif
, Nicholas Sparks
puke.gif
or anything that revolves around
love and romance.
puke.gif
Thanks.

Thursty

My wife and I just finished listening to "Night" by Elie Wiesel. It's a very intriguing and heart wrenching read/listen about Wiesel's experience in the concentration camps of World War II.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
tiger of the snow by tenzing norgay.

It is pretty rare and hard to find, but it is a good book. It only had one run of publishing. touching my father soul is a good one too about the son of tenzing norgay and his everest climb.
the books on the ernest shacklton expeditions are good too.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
on a different note Incarceron by cathering fisher is a good book.
walden pond is decent if you are in the right mood
the book called Cod is way better than you would expect.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
What are you looking for? Non-fiction? Fiction? Genre?

I'm currently rereading Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising for the umpteenth time. Fantastic book about a conventional Third World War taking place in the late 1980's. Lots of action, lots of detail but a pretty quick read.

In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash by Jean Shepherd. Great book where Shepherd is reminiscing about his childhood (fictionally, of course) in Illinois during the depression. Lots of laughs. Several of the stories are the basis for the movie A Christmas Story.

Any Steinbeck novel or journal. Can't go wrong there. Travels with Charley is probably my favorite. Non-fiction, taking a road trip around the country in 1960-1961 with his dog and making observations. Amazing how many predictions he made came true.

The Rise and Fall of the British Empire by Lawrence James. What the title says, a rather concise, quick read detailing the history of the British Empire. Unfortunately it was published in 1997 and there have been no addendum, so you don't get the turn over of Hong Kong.

Go Like Hell: Ford, Ferrari, and Their Battle for Speed and Glory at Le Mans by A.J. Baime. Great book for any car/racing guy. Very well written narrative of the heady days in the mid-60's when Ford decided to beat Ferrari at its own game.

Thats about all I can think of off the top of my head. Obviously there are many more.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
What are you looking for? Non-fiction? Fiction? Genre?

I'm currently rereading Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising for the umpteenth time. Fantastic book about a conventional Third World War taking place in the late 1980's. Lots of action, lots of detail but a pretty quick read.

In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash by Jean Shepherd. Great book where Shepherd is reminiscing about his childhood (fictionally, of course) in Illinois during the depression. Lots of laughs. Several of the stories are the basis for the movie A Christmas Story.

Any Steinbeck novel or journal. Can't go wrong there. Travels with Charley is probably my favorite. Non-fiction, taking a road trip around the country in 1960-1961 with his dog and making observations. Amazing how many predictions he made came true.

The Rise and Fall of the British Empire by Lawrence James. What the title says, a rather concise, quick read detailing the history of the British Empire. Unfortunately it was published in 1997 and there have been no addendum, so you don't get the turn over of Hong Kong.

Go Like Hell: Ford, Ferrari, and Their Battle for Speed and Glory at Le Mans by A.J. Baime. Great book for any car/racing guy. Very well written narrative of the heady days in the mid-60's when Ford decided to beat Ferrari at its own game.

Thats about all I can think of off the top of my head. Obviously there are many more.

Agreed on any Steinbeck

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I listened to Dan Brown's Digital Fortress on CD before, and really enjoyed it. I don't generally listen to books though, so I can't offer much beyond that for listening pleasure--although I do know someone who got totally hooked on the Twilight series on their iPod. (yes, he's a male...at least he used to be, until he became a Twihard)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm an avid audiobook collector. Unabridged is the only way to go IMHO. Historical fiction is my favorite genre.

Monsoon- Author Wilbur Smith. This is my all time favorite book. I will read anything I can find written by him.

Shogun-Author James Clavell. My second favorite book. I've read most of Clavell's books, this one is his finest by far.

Bernard Cornwell. This guy is my favorite author. 99% of his writing is historical fiction. His research is fanatical and so are his details. He has many series and they are all awesome.

Nathaniel Hawthorne series- 4 books detailing the life of a yankee preacher's son fighting for the confederates. Cornwell is british, so it's an interesting perspective on our civil war.

Arthur series- this series is the tale of King Arthur, but it's based on historical facts that were recorded around 400A.D. as researched by the author. This is not a fantasy novel. I hate fantasy.

The Sharpe Series- this series of nearly 20 books is based on the career of Richard Sharpe, an officer in the British army, promoted up from the ranks. The series is during the Spanish-French wars in the early 1800's.

If you are interested in firearms and the history of small arms, read anything by Bernard Cornwell.

Prey series- Author John Sandford. This is a good long series in the crime/murder-mystery genre. Lucas Davenport is the main character and he is a serious badass.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Shogun is fantastic! King Rat is also a great Clavell book.

And for my list, I have no idea how I forgot Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John Le Carré. Brilliant spy thriller.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
You've got to narrow it down a bunch. About the only fiction I've read recently is Dan Brown. All his books are great.

If you want to read (or listen to) nonfiction on money, investing, business, etc. I can recommend many good titles.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Shogun is fantastic! King Rat is also a great Clavell book.

And for my list, I have no idea how I forgot Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John Le Carré. Brilliant spy thriller.
King Rat is second to Shogun, it drops off pretty fast after that.

If you liked Shogun, you should definitely check out Wilbur Smith's works. Start with the Courtney saga (Birds of Prey, Monsoon) and then read whatever you like on his book list. He has many wonderful series. Most involve the British exploration and settlement of Africa.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
tiger of the snow by tenzing norgay.

It is pretty rare and hard to find, but it is a good book. It only had one run of publishing. touching my father soul is a good one too about the son of tenzing norgay and his everest climb.
the books on the ernest shacklton expeditions are good too.

Haven't read Tenzing's book, but it makes me think of 'Into Thin Air' by Jon Krakauer, the true story of the worst Everest Disaster.

I also really like Jon's tale of Chris McCandless, Into the Wild. I really like that book, made me want to sell everything and move to Alaska.... but not die. :eek:

Thursty

The Horatio Hornblower series by C. S. Forester is a great series if you enjoy British Naval adventures.

x2!

The Aubrey-Maturin (aka Master and Commander) series by Patrick O'Brian is another great British Naval series IMO. Also would recommend Two Years Before The Mast by Richard Henry Dana Jr. A great first hand account of life at sea from the age of sail.