Bottom end rebuilt time! (official rebuilt thread)

jentzschman

I have a question:

I will be buying a complete gasket kit, that I know I will be needing. However, are there other parts that I should replace while I am in there that I can start buying now to be ready?

While I do not want to buy unnecessary parts (as I am pretty sure this potentially will be a pricey undertaking) , I would like to get what ever I could potentially need now to be ready to go.

Main bearings and seal kit comes to mind as a prominent item to replace while in there.

Thanks for any advice.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I you don't have a factory repair manual get one. They are easy to find on the web.
I would replace all the bearings in the case. RMATV sells oem parts and for really cheap. It would probably be around $100 for all the bearings. Good insurance in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jentzschman

How many other bearings are there?

I have been looking in the manual and on RMATV. I have never done this so I am not sure what bearings are all in there.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
What I have done in the past is just replace the bearings that are pressed into the case. If you look at the exploded diagrams of your transmission it should be easy to identify the bearings on the ends of the shafts. Then once it is apart you can determine which of the other bearings is bad. I tried to look up the parts diagram on RMATV but it isn't showing any 2001 YZ 250 listed. I think yours is an 01 right?

jentzschman

What I have done in the past is just replace the bearings that are pressed into the case. If you look at the exploded diagrams of your transmission it should be easy to identify the bearings on the ends of the shafts. Then once it is apart you can determine which of the other bearings is bad. I tried to look up the parts diagram on RMATV but it isn't showing any 2001 YZ 250 listed. I think yours is an 01 right?

Its a 99. It's the first option after you select motorcycle, then year. It says competition-yz250L1-1999

cool, I will look it up right now.

Can these bearings be "sweated" in like the main bearings? RMATV has a vid that shows them doing it. The freeze the bearing with dry ice and heat the case until water boils when poured on the case. Then bearing just drops right in. Pretty cool.

Last edited:

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
While you have it apart I would replace ALL the bearings regardless if they need it or not

If you are going in deep, you may as well make it as new as possible. There would be nothing worse than having something fail 2 months from now that could have been replaced while you have it apart.......especially considering the age of the bike.

jentzschman

While you have it apart I would replace ALL the bearings regardless if they need it or not

That would be all the bearings for the main shaft and drive shaft, and the bearing for the water pump impeller shaft, as I am able to determine.

I count 6, not including the mains, does that seem about right? I am looking over the OME parts list on RMATV as well trying to gather all the info I can.

Please bare with my lack of knowledge. While this is going to be a great learning experience, I am seeing dollar signs flying everywhere and it's starting to get to me... :(

I appreciate ALL the help guys. I am sure there will be many more questions to come. Thanks for your patience and input.

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Bummer :(

I agree with Russ. I would replace all bearings/gaskets and seals (with OEM/Japanese) and measure all wear items in the transmission with a micrometer to make sure they are within spec. The factory service manual will have all these values listed. Anyway agreed good time for a WR gear set!

Have fun and use a torque wrench :D

D

Deleted member 12904

That would be all the bearings for the main shaft and drive shaft, and the bearing for the water pump impeller shaft, as I am able to determine.

I count 6, not including the mains, does that seem about right? I am looking over the OME parts list on RMATV as well trying to gather all the info I can.

Please bare with my lack of knowledge. While this is going to be a great learning experience, I am seeing dollar signs flying everywhere and it's starting to get to me... :(

I appreciate ALL the help guys. I am sure there will be many more questions to come. Thanks for your patience and input.

If you don't have or want to spend the money to replace everything tear it down inspect and replace as needed. I have been in the same boat with my utv now since Thanksgiving when I spun a rod bearing. I felt like if I was going into replace the crank and rods may as well do an all out build. I priced it out planned for $4000 saved the money and have been sitting waiting for ever because Since I've had the money for some time I'm having a really hard time dumping that much cash into an 08 teryx. Now it's to the point I wish I was using it so Im having the crank machined and fixed and replacing what needs fixed. As of now it should be done for around $800 and it may be a gamble not replacing everything while it's apart everything that showed any sign of wear will be replaced and I will be using it shortly I hope.

I know it's a bummer I have been in your place a few times.

jentzschman

Bummer :(

I agree with Russ. I would replace all bearings/gaskets and seals (with OEM/Japanese) and measure all wear items in the transmission with a micrometer to make sure they are within spec. The factory service manual will have all these values listed. Anyway agreed good time for a WR gear set!

Have fun and use a torque wrench :D

I have a digital copy of the manual and a inexpensive torque wrench, but it only goes as low as 10 ft/lbs.

If the tranny is good, I might pass on the WR swap as I can already see the $$$ piling up :eek:

Hoping to have the cases apart Wednesday with the help of Chad and I will know more then...

Tonkaman

Better get a torque wrench that goes in inch pounds. There are several parts that could cost more than the wrench itself if over-tightened

Tee

Tanned Fat Looks Better!
If its a two stroke, (which it looks like) the crank case and clutch/transmittion are separated, no way for a clutch piece to end up there. That piece came out of the crankcase. Crank bearing is my guess.
T

jentzschman

If its a two stroke, (which it looks like) the crank case and clutch/transmission are separated, no way for a clutch piece to end up there. That piece came out of the crankcase. Crank bearing is my guess.
T

Ya, I'm guessing the same. Good thing I have a new crank and main bearings on order. Should be here today.