Bought a home, seller didn't disclose

Troop92

If the sunroom was built without a building permit, that’s your angle to persue in court. I’ve heard if guys losing entire properties to building permit technicalities. The crappy part is now you are also liable to the next buyer should you ever sell...

Looking at it, I'd definitely say not permitted, but we went into it knowing we wanted to tear it down. We didn't, however, know it was the giant pile it turned out to be with leaks and all. We're in this house for the long run. This was it.

So, legally, yes they had an obligation to disclose problems with the home, but in order to pursue legal action you have to prove that they were aware of the problem and purposefully did not disclose it in the contract. This is tough to do.

This, exactly this. With the flooring being being new (remnant boxes in garage) and newer baseboards all around, taken with everything else, I'd be surprised if they didn't know. But, how can you tell, right? Their story rings hollow, considering there's no way the sumps hadn't been used in the 22+ years they owned the place when they've been running on and off the past three days.

Troop92

Home Warranty just replaced the sump, no hassle, within 24 hours of calling them. Not to shabby.

I pulled up the baseboards yesterday to find them wet and water-spotted, slightly molded. I at that point was furious, said "to hell with it," and pulled up in the drywall and tore a chunk off. Hands came away black. This look like a one-time deal to anyone?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I had water damage in a bathroom that needed mold remediation once. The warranty covered it and they even put tile down in place of the lenolium that was there previously for cost of materials. It was like 15 years ago, but I remember the fans they had to bring in to deal with the mold issue were obnoxious

Troop92

I had water damage in a bathroom that needed mold remediation once. The warranty covered it and they even put tile down in place of the lenolium that was there previously for cost of materials. It was like 15 years ago, but I remember the fans they had to bring in to deal with the mold issue were obnoxious

Is mold remediation covered under your home owners policy?

The home warranty doesn't cover it, they "cover things, not the resulting damage."

I have a call in with my homeowners insurance agent, we'll see. Most likely an after deductible kind of thing.

Caleb

Water damage and insurance is always whatever makes the least amount of sense is what happens. "Did the ground water come to the surface before entering the home or not? If it did then it's surface water and that's not covered, if it didn't then it's ground water and it's covered." Kind of BS. Good luck man, I feel for ya!

Troop92

What do you think the root cause is?
Downspouts? Grading? Cracked foundation? Definitely exterior water migration or an interior plumbing leak?

Exterior water migration, for sure. Insurance covered the tear out and dry out, and will cut a check to restore the space. Before doing that, however, will need to determine where coming in and why. Pretty sure I know where - my clue was the 1" deep bead of caulk applied to the bottom of the treated/painted pressboard they had along the bottom of the wall instead of drywall. Band-aid at its worst.

We're going to keep it dry, and do two things to see if it helps:

1) tear off the sunroom that looks like a bastsrdized screen room, as we think there's pooling below and elsewhere then directing down that wall

2) grenade the entire yard, and I do mean entire, and have it graded/leveled and start over. If anyone knows anyone that's good and reasonably priced at grading...

Once those are done, well look again at the situation, if it helps or is we need to get more drastic - French drain, wall sealing, etc.