Box Rocket Offroad Trailer Build

I had a few pictures of my trailer in my Tacoma build thread and had a few people ask for more details on the trailer, so here's a little build thread to hopefully give some ideas to those considering a trailer.

First off, I had no idea what I was going when I started this build. I knew what I wanted but had no experience with anything trailer related. I did lots of research and got some pointers from some good friends with trailers and off I went.

To start I needed an axle. I built the trailer originally to be towed behind my FZJ80 so I had Henderson Wheel on 1700 S and 300 E in SLC build me an axle to match the track width of the cruiser with the same lug pattern.

The basic idea for the trailer was something about the same size as an M416 1/4ton trailer. So I planned on a 4x6' box. I started with some 2.5" square tube and got to work on the frame. Outer dimensions of the frame are 4x6'.

cleaned up the corners

added some crossmembers

I used some 1.5" square tube for the box frame. I decided on 18" tub height. Used some high-tech string to help line them up. :)

Then it was some 1x3" rec tube for the top rails.

More to come........

Box Rocket

bored
On the fenders.....I found some 10.5" wide fenders (which was the widest I could find without making my own) and the CJ flares cost my $50 used. The flares give an extra 2" coverage so when I was using the 315's as tires on the trailer I didn't get full coverage, Here's a couple pics of the coverage with 315's

But I ditched those tires and went with the 33x10.50's that are on it now and they tuck under the fenders much better.
These are probably the best shots I have that show the coverage with the 33x10.50s

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
How easy is it to clean up the areas that you've coated with Raptor liner? Does it seem like the sand and dust are embedded into it? I'm trying to decide whether I should spray the outside of my trailer tub as well as the inside and think this is going to be the determining factor.

Box Rocket

bored
I think it cleans pretty easily. After a while it does get some build up of dirt and grime, but most of it comes off in the car wash. I've used some quick detailing spray to clean up the residue when I've done a deep clean of the trailer.

It's just me but personally I wouldn't coat the entire outside in Bedliner unless you like the look of it. But it would definitely be easier to just spray the whole thing rather than mask it for paint and liner.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I wasn't sold on doing it all bed liner still which is why I asked. I like the stuff I did the bottom with pretty good so I may end up doing the top side with that and doing a liner in the tub. Are your sides just regular rattle can?