Box Rocket Offroad Trailer Build

I had a few pictures of my trailer in my Tacoma build thread and had a few people ask for more details on the trailer, so here's a little build thread to hopefully give some ideas to those considering a trailer.

First off, I had no idea what I was going when I started this build. I knew what I wanted but had no experience with anything trailer related. I did lots of research and got some pointers from some good friends with trailers and off I went.

To start I needed an axle. I built the trailer originally to be towed behind my FZJ80 so I had Henderson Wheel on 1700 S and 300 E in SLC build me an axle to match the track width of the cruiser with the same lug pattern.

The basic idea for the trailer was something about the same size as an M416 1/4ton trailer. So I planned on a 4x6' box. I started with some 2.5" square tube and got to work on the frame. Outer dimensions of the frame are 4x6'.

cleaned up the corners

added some crossmembers

I used some 1.5" square tube for the box frame. I decided on 18" tub height. Used some high-tech string to help line them up. :)

Then it was some 1x3" rec tube for the top rails.

More to come........

ricsrx

That turned out great, is was cool to see it in person, at Kurts customer appreciation day

OB1

Hey Box Rocket, love the trailer. I just posted a thread on a trailer I'm looking to build very similar to yours minus the RTT and using a M100 tub and fenders. I'll send you a pm. Great job on the trailer!

Box Rocket

bored
So I'm looking at getting the trailer registered and it's got me thinking about some personalized plates for it. Considering something that goes with "box rocket" (might do some BOXRCKT plates on the truck). But I'm looking for suggestions if anyone has any bright ideas.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Probably still not 100% necessary, but I'm probably getting close to the 750* weight so it had me thinking about it. the other reason is purely for theft/insurance purposes. Again, probably not really "necessary" but better safe than sorry I guess.

Gotcha, I was told with mine I didn't have to license it to insure though I was well under the weight limit.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Yeah fiberglass vs steel tub. I should probably go get it weighed just to be sure but I think with the tire carrier and the new tent rack I'm probably getting close to the weight limit.

I'd be curious personally, it would be worth knowing before you shell out $30 a year for no reason? Plates and the states stick on VIN number can't offer much in the way of theft protection? I know an AT Chaser is under the Utah limit, unloaded of course. I'd be far more worried about getting a fender flare ticket than a ticket for not licensing a 751 lb home built trailer :D

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Is the 750 lb limit for the trailer itself, or when it's all loaded up? I'd argue that the tent and all that doesn't count toward the weight of my trailer, if it came down to it. ;)

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I hate giving more money to the government. I personally would not register it as Kurt said it gives little theft protection or increased in recovery probability. This is an amazing build by the way. Very well laid out and very professional quality work.

corbin.black

So after using this trailer for several years and going through all of the changes, would you build it any different if you could go back? like length, width, fenders etc...

Im starting to feel comfortable with my welding abilities and I've been wanting a trailer just like this for a while so im going to start gathering materials. In all honesty, I am probably going to try to create a clone to yours as it looks like it would fit my needs perfectly.

Last edited:

Box Rocket

bored
So after using this trailer for several years and going through all of the changes, would you build it any different if you could go back? like length, width, fenders etc...

Im starting to feel comfortable with my welding abilities and I've been wanting a trailer just like this for a while so im going to start gathering materials. In all honesty, I am probably going to try to create a clone to yours as it looks like it would fit my needs perfectly.

Overall there is very little I would change. The size is great IMO and I personally would not go bigger because of the places I would like to be able to take it. The one thing I maybe would have tweaked with the size is the interior dimensions of the box. I knew I wanted a 4x6' trailer similar in size to the M416. So I made the frame 4x6, but that meant the interior dimensions were slightly smaller than that. It's not a big deal to me because I don't own any ATVs but and interior box that is 4x6' should allow you to carry a typical ATV if that is something that is useful to you. It would have been only a minor tweak to my plans had I thought of that ahead of time. But no biggie unless I sell it and a buyer wanted to fit a quad or something.

Only other thing I have really considered changing from the original design is using some longer leaf springs. The trailer springs have actually worked out just fine despite many people suggesting they are not a good choice. So my reason for maybe changing springs is only if I end up with a free set of leafs that I can pull apart to make work on the trailer just to see if it makes much difference not because I feel like its a change that is necessary.

Other than that I've been really happy with it. It works way better than I ever thought it would when I started.