Brad Yates 2001 Jeep Wangler (Spring 2003 Featured Rig)

Brad is a Georgia native who originally built his TJ to tackle the deep Mud pits & slick trails the South has to offer. He moved to Utah to go to school at BYU and found why the Rocks of the West can be so addicting.

Here's a breakdown of how he setup his Wrangler so it would be capable anywhere he takes it.

Engine- 4.0L, Straight Six.

Mods: A K&N Air Filter and a York Air Compressor, for operating the ARB on the Trail, then airing up after it's over.

Transmission- Stock NV3550, 5 Spd. Manual.

Transfer Case- NP231 modified with a Currie SYE.

Axles-

Front: Stock Dana 30 w/ 4.56's.

Rear: Stock Dana 44 w/ 4.56's and an ARB Air Locker.

Suspension- Rubicon Express 4.5" Super Flex kit.

Tires & Wheels- 35x14.5x15 Super Swamper SSRs on 15x10 AR-767s

Protection- OYR Corner Guards, BulletProof Mfg. rear bumper and a set of FourXDoctor rocker guards help defend the TJ from the Rocks.

Winch- Warn M8000 Winch on the bobbed, stock bumper.

Interesting Facts- The fenders were trimmed Flatty style to fit the large Tires, LED lights were used for Turn Signals & Brake lights, 2 tractor lights for backups and third for a undercarriage work light. The power gets to the axles by a set of TW Driveshafts front and rear, a Yellow top Optima Battery fires up the 4.0, a Cobra CB sits on a CB rack for communication, and a Tuffy Glovebox & Console keep Brad's stuff from stickey fingers. The Tub is Herculined for when the Mud starts flying and a 1” MORE Body Lift and Motor Mount Lift help with clearance.

Whats Next?-

Within the next month:

- Custom Roll Cage by Anarchy Offroad.
- Currie Anti-Rock bar.
- SlickRock Fab front bumper.
- Rear Tire carrier.

After the next 2 years:

- Dana 300 Transfer case w/4:1, a Flip kit, and HD Output Shaft.
- Dana 44 Front axle from a 80's Waggoneer, built with w/ 4.56's and a ARB.
- Dual Optima batteries and a Onboard Welder.

(Brad's been called to serve an LDS Mission in Helsinki, Finland at the end of July, so he'll be dreaming of his TJ while it gathers dust in storage for 2 years!)

Brad's Story- "The parents bought the Jeep off the lot totally stock. It took me 3 days to learn how to drive a manual. I went to Quadratec first and almost went the route of chroming everything out, but luckily I hit the mud. My only thought was what I needed to hit bigger mud puddles and survive. Then came the Lift, 33" Xterrains and the Winch. I was accepted to BYU so drove it 2,000 miles (breaking down in St. Louis, eastside of course). Once the parents were off my back but still sending Christmas money, and what not, the Jeep got it's full out make-over! York OBA, 35" Super Swampers, Flatfendered, and most of the broken stuff was replaced or upgraded. So far it's been to Moab three times between breaks at school and I've finally got the hang of this rock stuff! I have big plans in mind for the jeep but it's won't go over 35's until i'm married and get a different daily driver.

The 5 things I love the most are Food, Sleep, Jeep, Girls, and of course... my Parents. Awww, how sweet. Keep up the wrenching compadres & whenever you go out to work on your rig don't forget the BFH! :D "

Attachments

• brad.hillclimb.georgia.jpg
    brad.hillclimb.georgia.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited by a moderator:

fatkid44

Use Wayne and AllJeep.com
I'm a BYU wheeler too =). Anyone out there think we should start a BYU 4x4 club? Also, if any of you BYU guys or gals, or college age kids like Moab, call me because I need more jeeps in my groups. Free hotel rooms too, lol.

Brad Yates

airwalks are cool
if y'all are on facebook there are some jeeping groups on there. but by this time of year it's too dang cold for me. keep in touch and come spring we'll hit a trail.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
RedBull_RockIt said:
Brad, is your competition rig, the same one as featured in this story??? If so, that's one hell of a transition!

Are you referring to his avatar? If so, that's my old Supermod rig--he just photochopped the rainbow stripes on it. ;)

My-yota

E-bays #1 customer
(Brad's been called to serve an LDS Mission in Helsinki, Finland at the end of July, so he'll be dreaming of his TJ while it gathers dust in storage for 2 years!)

A jeep is alot of fun but a mission is alot more fun I think, Think of it this way; when your comp is driving you nuts, everything isn't going right,the language is just to hard, or anything else that happens on the mission just don't go right; you could just do some therpy and imagine what to do next on your jeep when you return. That kept me sane while in the Philippines.
Good luck, don't worry she'll be there when you get back... I'm talking about the jeep. hehe!

Last edited:

Brad Yates

airwalks are cool
i've been off the mission for almost a year. but yes, that's what i did when it got cold and we had to come home freezing and wet at night because we peddled against the snowstorm. i thought and i thought and i thought some more. and now i'm finally in a position to get some of those awesome thoughts realized. i'm back in georgia for the summer and i have a garage!

mierdota

Brad That Is Is Sweet Tj... My Friend Just Got Called To That Same Mission He Leaves On Oct 18 I Head Out For Mexico City In 2 Weeks My Tj Will Sit In My Garage Too