Brainstorming my next rig. How to fit 4 mountain bikes inside a 4x4.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
If you are ordering a shell, one thing I wish I really had was the opening side windows.. Not just the sliders, but actual lift open to add tools and gear through the side. It would be very nice to have side access.

Yes yes yes. A shell with access windows on the sides would change my life. Get one with access windows and the full hatch-back that replaces the tailgate and you won't feel the need for a bed slide.

Or maybe you will, since you're mounting bikes under there.

ID Bronco

If you are ordering a shell, one thing I wish I really had was the opening side windows.. Not just the sliders, but actual lift open to add tools and gear through the side. It would be very nice to have side access.

View attachment 114286

I have this type of shell on the Ford, and it is awesome, they have locks on them too. Although you have to be fairly tall to reach anything through the side doors if it's in the bed. Reaching stuff on a platform would be ideal.

Caleb

I have this type of shell on the Ford, and it is awesome, they have locks on them too. Although you have to be fairly tall to reach anything through the side doors if it's in the bed. Reaching stuff on a platform would be ideal.

I was going to say, those would probably be pretty useless for Steve since the bedsides on Tundras are already pretty tall and Steve is pretty short. So unless he carries around a step stool/ladder, I doubt he's getting much out those windows.

sixstringsteve

Exactly my thoughts as well. It would be tough to reach into there, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to order them anyway, even if I can't use them.

I'm going to call AT and see what options the habitat can have.

I'd love for it to be taller, and flip toward the front (like a flippac) rather than the rear.

Ideal setup would be:
- AT habitat, flipping forward over the cab
- side access panels
- rear doors that replace the tailgate
- drawer system underneath

Since the truck has to hold my tools, backpacking gear, bikepacking gear, recovery fear, and bikes, a drawer system would be really handy. However, they take up a lot of vertical space and would require a taller shell to accommodate the bikes.

I guess I could also go with a cargo box on top of the shell too, for lightweight things like sleepingbags, backpacking gear, etc.

Now I just need to sit still in one place so i can get some things ordered.

Thanks for all the tips and advice guys.

D

Deleted member 12904

Having worked out of trucks with side doors on the shell most of my adult life I can say they are a huge benefit. Even the short guys carry a folding (Collapsible) step stool behind the seat. I would just get side steps or rock sliders that go back to the wheel and enjoy not having to crawl in from the back every time you need something. tundra.jpg

sixstringsteve

I dont think I'd ever go for steps that hang down like that, but I could definitely do sliders wide enough to step on. While I won't be rock crawling in it, I do plan on visiting the maze, dollhouse, the swell, etc, and those steps would just get me hung up on rocks.

The main reason i want a drawer system is because it makes things easy to access without having to dig around in there and lift stuff over the side.

ID Bronco

I dont think I'd ever go for steps that hang down like that, but I could definitely do sliders wide enough to step on. While I won't be rock crawling in it, I do plan on visiting the maze, dollhouse, the swell, etc, and those steps would just get me hung up on rocks.

The main reason i want a drawer system is because it makes things easy to access without having to dig around in there and lift stuff over the side.

I guess this may not be a good idea with your sliders, but my buddy has the automatic drop down step that retracts when the door closes and those would be awesome for putting your child in and getting into the side of the bed. Just a thought.

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict

sixstringsteve

I'm having the toughest time finding a tall fiberglass topper. A.R.E. makes one that's tall at the back, but more of a wedge. Leer makes an awesome one (model 122), but they dont make it for the tundras for some reason.

sixstringsteve

Sadly the century t class isthe same as the leer and isnt made for the tundra. :(

Custom aluminum is an option. most quoted have been around $4k.

Habitat is out. 14 week wait, and they only flip out backward. I'd totally do a flippac if they still made them.

sixstringsteve

I dont have a Facebook account anymore. Is there anyone with an account who would ne willing to PM him my email address?

Awesome, thanks! I'd love a flippac. I need to do some more research. The torsion bars break, and nobody can replace them. Im curious how bad it is to open without the torsion bar.

Last edited:

pELYgroso

'Merica
I'm curious why don't you have a facebook account anymore? Are you guys not focusing on the social media portion of your lifestyle as much as before?

sixstringsteve

We focus on YouTube and Instagram exclusively. Facebook wasnt beneficial to us.

That, and I hate their privacy policy and I dint trust them with the data they have.

I understand that Instagram is owned by Facebook, but it's a necessary evil for our strategy.