Brainstorming my next rig. How to fit 4 mountain bikes inside a 4x4.

sixstringsteve

Thanks for all the info, brainstorming ideas, wild out-of-the-box thinking and opinions guys. I've never purchased from a dealer before and I've never bought a brand new vehicle. I'm excited to own this truck.

It's not the fanciest of models, but I tend to prefer simpler vehicles in general anyway. It's a 2018 set. It's got the 38gal fuel tank, 18" wheels, and the standard safety stuff. It's a pretty standard truck, which I dig.

I dont plan on any big upgrades other than an android stereo/nav. Oh, I'll also have to find a shell somewhere to protect the bikes. It's going to be interesting traveling in this new rig.

Stoked to put 1600 miles on it over the next few days, driving it back from ohio.20180621_171037.jpg

Tonkaman

I rode in my buddy's 2017 transit tall roof yesterday for a few hours. I'm sold SO on them.

I'm sure the tow rating is based on the lighter rear leaves and 3.31 gears. Air bags and 1 ton package (3.73 gears) would make it a tow monster.
It is no joke a fast machine. It would spin tires at the light and 85mph yeilded us 15.5 mpg full of bikes and gear on some larger than stock bfg ATs
His was full loaded: leather heated seat etc etc. $40k out the door.

View attachment 114214
Don’t tell me these things! Elaina has been pushing me to buy a motovan for the last year

sixstringsteve

Thanks guys, I'm really digging it. It's nice to be back in a gas vehicle. I've never owned a vehicle newer than 2006, so everything feels like a huge upgrade to me, despite the fact that it's still years behind ford and Chevy creature comforts. I'm stoked.

sixstringsteve

I finally made it to Utah, 1800 miles later. Averaged 16-19mpg. I got 600 miles to a tank. Super excited about that.

So far the only two things I don't like are the headrests and the garbage radio. I'm absolutely thrilled with everything else and I have zero regrets.

Are you going to lift it or level it and add bigger tires? Your Coopers on Fred looked like they wore pretty well.

I've had those coppers on 3 rigs now. I'm a big fan. I had 50k mikes on mine on the van, and I still had 35% tread left. They're one of the few tires left with a true 3 ply sidewall.

As much as I'd like to throw a ton of parts at the truck, I dont really feel like I need to. It rides just the way i want l, and I wouldn't want to mess that up, especially for towing. No plans for a lift or a leveling kit. First order of business is to remove all the chrome badges and paint the chrome bumpers and grill black. I wish I could color match the grill, but that seems expensive. I wish I could find a black sr grill to swap for my chrome one.

One thing I need to decide on quick is a cap, or shell, or whatever they call them these days. I need to do some measuring, but I like the idea of a slightly taller one so I can put a deckd drawer system in and still put the bikes on top.

At the moment the airstream and bikes and all our hiking gear washare Washington. We have to head back and pick it all up, but I dont have a way to secure it or keep it dry. I'll be on the lookout for a shell for a tundra.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Steve, does this have a moonroof/sunroof? That's an option I really liked from a Tundra was recently in.

Nope. I vowed never to get another toyota with the sunroof. Ive had a few and I never used them. They just add weight, complexity, potential for leaks, and cut into the headroom. I dont think they're available on the doublecab anyway. I totally get why some people prefer them, but I never used mine.

Caleb

If you want them Steve, I have a brand new set of floor mats from my Tundra. They're black. I have one full set (front and rear) of solid black and a set of fronts that have the TRD Pro embroidered on them. I had the all weather ones and because mine was a TRD Pro, it came with another set so I never used anything other than the all weather ones (and sold it with only them). Yours for the taking.

sixstringsteve

Thanks for the offer. Mine came with some nice rubber ones. Trd pro would be cool...

I found a shell and went to buy it today. It was off a 2007. Unfortinately, in 2014, toyota made the tail section of the tailgate an extra inch longer, so shells from a 2007-2013 wont fit a 2014+

I'm looking for a shell like this (but an inch longer and cement grey would be ideal). Anyone have any favorite places to get a truck cap?

20180624_163107.jpg

20180624_163446.jpg

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Thanks eric, your recommendation was spot on. Those guys were great.

I also talked to Sean at Sam T Evans and he was super helpful as well.

It looks like the shell I want will run me $2000-3000 with a 3-6 week wait time.