30x9.5r15

Winch-
N/A

Favorite Trails-

Other-

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Yeah I have bought my saginaw box for power steering still deciding on sprung over or under for my lift.

Gotcha. Too bad you were not able to make it out to CruiserFest this last weekend. There were 50+ 40's out there which makes for some fun brainstorming. The reality is the Saginaw setup won't have much impact on a SUA or SOA, your only duplicated part is the drag-link so you might be out $75 or so one direction or the other. Every other aspect is identical.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
Gotcha. Too bad you were not able to make it out to CruiserFest this last weekend. There were 50+ 40's out there which makes for some fun brainstorming. The reality is the Saginaw setup won't have much impact on a SUA or SOA, your only duplicated part is the drag-link so you might be out $75 or so one direction or the other. Every other aspect is identical.
Yeah I wanted to make it out but I was on the family house boat in powell.

Marsh99

My battery gave up the ghost. Decided to drop some coin and went with a diehard platinum. Also found out sears.com and the sears physical store have different pricing, so make sure you check to get the best deal.

Marsh99

I have put about 2k miles on this thing and have loved every mile of it. Still trying to figure out the direction to go. I do see a factory soft top in my future.

Marsh99

Working on getting my power steering put together, but I am having a heck of a time finding something that will work with keeping my smog pump. Anyone have an opinion on the pro or cons of desmogging? I have researched a lot on ih8mud, but still cant decide. I have a hard time pulling off an original working smog system just for power steering. Just looking for some thoughts.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Replied to your PM but putting it here as a future Cruiserhead might find it useful...

You can find or build a bracket to do both. I think in the end you'll wish you had deleted the smog and simplified the system but it is a bit of legwork to get dialed in. Smog pumps fail, VSV's fail, air injection rails can leak or rust out. They are a fairly stalwart system considering yours is nearly 40 years old and still working BUT it's only a matter of time and replacement parts are difficult to find as so many have tossed their smog stuff in the trash. I don't run smog on any of my setups and generally prefer the simplicity of a desmogged setup, one single vacuum hose from the dizzy to the carb... hard to beat that for simplicity and mine is a much later (mid-80's era 2F). Jim C has a killer desmog diagram you can track down on Mud.

Marsh99

I have bought a Bill Dorry ps bracket from Orangefj45 which is suppose to be able to run with a smog pump, but it still hasn't been straightforward. I just have the same thoughts as you Kurt.(BTW not my 40 stollen fron Orangefj45)
im000878-jpg.322498

Marsh99

You buy from him but PM me for the questions eh? I'll reply as such in the future ;)

I asked you if you bracket would work with smog pump you said no, orangefj45 said yes. I have pm'd Orangfj45 and he has actually been texting back and forth with me. I do have a laundry list of things I need from you, but need to make to your shop. I HATE paying tax and shipping on things, but I don't make it down to Sandy during normal business hours. I am also thinking about trying to get patched in and do the Wasatch Cruiser thing.

Last edited:

Marsh99

Decided that my master cylinder needed to be rebuilt. I was leaking fluid between my booster and MC.
After wire wheel

sweet TEQ

Prepped for paint

I then ordered a rebuild kit from Kurt which work out great, and reinstalled

Marsh99

Over the last couple of months I have been piecing together a power system kit for the 40 series:

Saginaw steering box I picked up at my local Oreilly
Saginaw pump is from a local Junk yard
Steering shaft, joints, and pitman arm from Summit racing
Steering plate was made by me
Column bearing, tie rod,and tie rod ends are from Kurt at Cruiser outfitters
Bill dory saginaw pump bracket is from Orange45 off ih8mud