Breaker Morant: great Australian movie from 1980

roverrocks

Rewatched Breaker Morant a short while ago. One of the finest and most moving movies I have ever seen. Set in South Africa during the second Boer War at the turn of the century. The movie follows 3 Australian cavalrymen who are fighting the Boers in a vicious guerrilla war waged by both sides. Based on a true story of atrocities committed by the Aussies and whether or not it was sanctioned by Lord Kitchener and the British Army. Much is a riveting courtroom drama of court martial with numerous intense flashbacks of who these 3 Aussies were before the war and what they changed into during the vicious Boer War. Based on a book called Scapegoats of the Empire. This great, riveting, well acted, and incredibly well-written movie is a must see if you have never watched it. Very emotionally draining by it's end.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Wow... I didn't think anyone else knew about this movie! :D Its probably been seven years or so since I last watched it. I was writing a report on the Boer War for one of my upper division history classes and thought I'd pull it out of my Dads VHS collection and watch it. You're right, very moving. That whole period is pivitol for Australia and New Zealand. A fascinating era of history that is often over looked, particularly here in the US.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Just added it to my Netflix queue. DVD release date unknown, but it's saved for if/when they ever get it. :cool:

roverrocks

I remember seeing Breaker Morant the first time in 1980-81 when I was in college. I was absolutely riveted by it then and still am even though I have viewed it 6-7 times now. A little known movie but absolutely mesmerizing at least to me. Gets better every time I see it. Stunning photography as well. Incredible ending. Another great Australian war film was Gallipoli. Not as good as Breaker Morant but still a tough, wrenching look into the hearts of men going off to war and the "glory" it brings them. Intense ending.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Ah yes, Gallipoli. Mel Gibsons first major movie roll, if I recall. A very good depiction of the ANZAC's build up to the invasion and then the folly that was Gallipoli.

roverrocks

Ah yes, Gallipoli. Mel Gibsons first major movie roll, if I recall. A very good depiction of the ANZAC's build up to the invasion and then the folly that was Gallipoli.
Yes, you are very right. Churchill's Folly. I wonder whatever happened to the other then young man who was Gibson's pal in the movie? I don't remember seeing him in other movie roles but then I don't see a lot of movies.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Yes, you are very right. Churchill's Folly. I wonder whatever happened to the other then young man who was Gibson's pal in the movie? I don't remember seeing him in other movie roles but then I don't see a lot of movies.

Mark Lee. He's done a lot in Australia but never really broke out internationally.

Cost Winston the Admiralty, but really Gallipoli was the only bold strategic move of the First World War. Just poorly executed and handled on the tactical level. If you look at the invasion of Gallipoli, it was ahead of its time as far as planning. Much of what was learned was later applied to the many amphibious landings of the Second World War.

roverrocks

Mark Lee. He's done a lot in Australia but never really broke out internationally.

Cost Winston the Admiralty, but really Gallipoli was the only bold strategic move of the First World War. Just poorly executed and handled on the tactical level. If you look at the invasion of Gallipoli, it was ahead of its time as far as planning. Much of what was learned was later applied to the many amphibious landings of the Second World War.
I think that most of the poor planning and execution was because the aging Ottoman Empire and Turkish troops in general were grossly underestimated by the Churchill and other arrogant British Empire racial dickheads. The Brits and ANZACs thought it would be a cakewalk. BIG mistake. Really Big mistake that cost a lot of lives plus once again defensive machine guns and artillery were just as grossly underestimated as they had been in 1914-15 on the Western Front. Modern warfare with human flesh being utilized as it had been for centuries : Target practice but aging military general staffs and prehistoric tactics had no clue of what to do in the face of modern weaponry.