Brick pizza oven

comingdown

I was just trying to figure it out. $650 in fire bricks, like 300 in cement bags and blocks, 400 in mortar, and like $300 in my insulation for under and the blankets, then probably like $100 in misc concrete and perlite, and some trowels. I still have a bunch of rebar and 50 fire bricks left. I figured I’d be about $1500 into it, im probably closer to 2k. To buy onebuilt this size is anywhere from 5-7k. Or maybe more. Hours, hard to say. I never kept track, but weeks for sure. A day digging it out, forming it up, loading rock and unloading it by hand, mixing up 20 80lb bags of cement, setting blocks, filling them, formingup the top, mixing 30 80lb bags of concrete. That was the hardest, the rest was tedious and time consuming just to figure things out since I was making it up as I went. It was fun though. I have never done anything like this before and it was fun to try it.

comingdown

Yeah, it’ll get used a lot. From my research after a hot firing it will remain 400-350 for nearly the rest of the week so people continue to bake in it or cook whatever. Outside so your not firing your oven up and heating your house. This is hear say though, but sounds cool anyway. Besides I’ve spent $2000 on dumber stuff. Lol

shortstraw8

Does it stay hot as long as you thought it would, how much wood does it go through? I have always wanted to build one of these.

comingdown

After a full fire (dome cleared, 800-1000*) and I put the door on, it will stay 400-500 for a couple days and slowly drop from there. But it’s a 1.5” thick door with high temp ceramic insulation inside so it holds temps really well. Should be better once I get the deal put around the edges. But I’m pretty happy with it in all aspects.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
What are you using for pizza dough? I have a 15 yr old sourdough starter if you want some...
Sourdough crust definitely kicks it up a notch.

comingdown

But I’d be down for some sourdough starter. Although that’s above my pay grade and I have no experience with it. But I’m a quick learner.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Worked out great and cooked pretty evenly in the oven
View attachment 127431

I've been wanting to try that same method on my Traeger!

Had some amazing tacos al pastor in Baja several years ago....

i-hB867m2-XL.jpg

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
But I’d be down for some sourdough starter. Although that’s above my pay grade and I have no experience with it. But I’m a quick learner.
Give me a little warning and I'd be willing to give you some dough balls ready to go and a batch of starter with instructions.