Brick pizza oven

comingdown

So, I'm planning on doing a brick pizza oven in my backyard. I'm not really concerned about the actual work, but more about the design and size, layout, etc. I'm thinking it'll just be the basic arch design. But has anyone on here done one before? Input, advice, what you would do differently if you did it again? Thanks.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I have been researching this for years....ask and you shall receive
this book https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005OCTJ56/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
I've attached a pdf for an oven design modeled after one found in Pompeii
check out this site: https://www.traditionaloven.com/ by Rado Hand
I bought his 2 picture CD's for $15 which he shipped from Australia (long before online storage or bandwidth was sufficient)
He now offers them for download https://www.traditionaloven.com/pizza_wood_oven/pizza_oven_3.html
If you do this I'd love to lend a hand...and I'll provide some of my sourdough starter for the crust :)

Attachments

• pompeii_oven_plans.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 16

comingdown

That's a lot of good info. I'm glad I got a book referral because a lot of reviews left me nervous. Seems like they feel the dome is the way to go and the barrel design isn't as desirable? I guess adding more pizzas will be better for bigger gatherings. What are your thoughts as far as how close to your house would you want it? I want it out of the way, tucked away, but also want it convenient....

comingdown

The hot tub left with the previous owners, I'm deciding if I want it where the hot tub was, or pour a new pad and do it off the patio. Or somewhere else entirely.

Attachments

• IMG_1423.jpg
    IMG_1423.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 50

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
honestly, if you're just looking to cook a couple pizza's once in a while the shape won't make a noticeable difference. The book recommends a lighter weight structure for pizza since you tend to keep a live fire. For baking lots of bread, you want more mass for retained heat.

comingdown

Unlike me, I am actually following through and this project is happening. I poured a (rough) slab this weekend and am starting to lay out my blocks. That will be done this week and I’ll be ready to form and pour my top this weekend. I found fire bricks in slc for $2 each. I’ve been reading it’ll take me about 250ish to do it. Gonna do a 42” dome shape. I’ll post some pics as I get things more picture worthy. I also ordered my ceramic heat insulation boards to lay down under the fire bricks. I went with 1.5” and on top of the dome gonna do 2 maybe 3 inches of insulation blankets with a heat shield rendering on top of that. I expect my all in budget to be around 1000-1200. but we shall see

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I'm sure you've read a whole mess of builds and other material on this stuff but I saw this on reddit yesterday and thought he had a good method of spacing the bricks so they were even. Might be worth taking a peak. I also really dig his exterior decoration.

Good luck on your build.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
So maybe this is a dumb question, but after reading about the build that Nate linked, I'm wondering how it works. He said it takes 1.5 hours to heat the oven with the wood fire which is placed in the center of the oven. Now there is no room for the pizza. I assume that once the oven is up to temp, you remove the fire and the bricks and insulation just keep it hot? Is that right?