Build Thread 1951 Willys

Medsker

2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
So I thought I would start a build thread. The Willys was advertised on KSL as a 1948 but it is actually a 1951 CJ3A. There are several numbers on the Willys I found:

Tag: 451-GB1 28496
Engine by Water Pump: 4LR190690
Engine embossed on block: 908756*15, the star is actually one dot in the middle with eight dots around the outside

I know the 451-GB1 means it is 1951 CJ3A. The number by the water pump should start with a CJ if it is the original motor so it probably isn't original, but I have no idea where it came from or what year it is. I haven't been able to find anything about the engine numbers on the web. Maybe there is a Willys expert on board that can tell me.

Here are a couple of pics of when I got it home. None of the tail lights are stock. The stock setup only has a round light that sticks out on the drivers side where the oval light is. Of course all of the information I'm getting is off of the internet so take it with a grain of salt.

The fenders and body are rusted out pretty bad so the plan is to replace the tub and fenders. I'm also going to convert it to 12-volt. I really like the tail lights that are sunk in on the back so I may stick with them, but I would only have two. It didn't come with turn signals originally and I haven't decided whether to implement them or not.

So there it is. I'll try to keep you updated on what I'm doing. I think the hardest part will be remembering to take pictures :D

Medsker

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 58

rollover

Talk to Boyce up in Ogden or Smith and Edwards. Both sold surplus Jeeps but Boyce is known as a parts king ( boyceequipment.com ) on the older ones. Send a photo to them they may be able to help you identify the motor.

Medsker

Here is the start of the tear down. Got the fenders off and started to remove the body. It is a lot more work doing this by myself :D. My wife and I are going to work on getting the body off together. Fun, Fun, Fun

6.JPG8.JPG

Medsker

I've been working on the body and finally got it off. Now I think I will set it outside and start cleaning the frame and engine. There is a little leaking from the oil pan, transmission pan, transfer case, brake cylinder, etc so I'll have to address that. I'm still trying to decide whether to sandblast the frame myself or have someone else do it. I have lots and lots of sand where I live :rofl:

Attachments

• 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 38

Medsker

I was trying to decide what to do about the tub of my Willys when I found this Willys on Craigslist. I figured I could get it for less than the cost of a tub and have lots of extras. It is pretty much rust free. I flat towed it home and only got a few miles when the rear two tires locked up on me. A fellow Jeeper named Harry (very thankful he pulled over) pulled up to help. It took us a couple of hours of trying to lose break drums, bleed the rear brakes to relieve pressure, and other things to figure it out but came to the conclusion the diff had locked up so we removed the axle shafts and I towed it home. They put a Buick V6 engine in which seems to run well except the carb needs cleaned. I've decided to build one Willys to as close to original as I can and then take all of the extra parts and build a rat rod out of them :D.

I have a couple questions about the new one. The rear tire rack wraps around the corners and hooks on like it is stock. Is it? I have a feeling it isn't. Second, does anyone know of a way to un-yellow the windows?

These are the pics from the listing. I haven't taken any my self. I've already pulled off the monstrosity on the front bumper :)

Attachments

• 00404_3xynmybV9j8_600x450.jpg
    00404_3xynmybV9j8_600x450.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 00X0X_l9E4mR4qn8V_600x450.jpg
    00X0X_l9E4mR4qn8V_600x450.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 00d0d_97ByTRxSqxk_600x450.jpg
    00d0d_97ByTRxSqxk_600x450.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 28

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
..... The rear tire rack wraps around the corners and hooks on like it is stock. Is it? I have a feeling it isn't. Second, does anyone know of a way to un-yellow the windows?

I would be suspicious that the tire rack is NOT stock. However, it could be a Montgomery Ward or Sears or ????..... If the windows are plastic, the plastic headlight polish and similar works well.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I've never seen a rear mounted spare in those early models, they were always mounted on the right rear fender. Marc is correct in it may be an early aftermarket model. Just like today, the aftermarket on the early Jeeps was hot way back when too.

If you're looking to salvage some stock parts, that homemade looking angle iron hitch is actually from the factory.

I would be suspicious that the tire rack is NOT stock. However, it could be a Montgomery Ward or Sears or ????..... If the windows are plastic, the plastic headlight polish and similar works well.

Medsker

I just did some homework on this after reading the question. This is the type of stuff that really interests me. Whenever cool chemicals are involved my ears perk up.

Anyhow, from the few things I've read it looks like this could be a neat experiment:

The optimum mixture and conditions for reversing yellowing of plastics:

1. Hydrogen peroxide solution, the stronger the better. 12% works fine; 6% works also, just more slowly.
  2. UV light, either from sunlight or a UV lamp.
  3. Approximately 1/4 teaspoonful (4.9 ml) per gallon (3.8 l) (1/3072) of Tetraacetylethylenediamine (TAED)-based laundry booster (concentrations of TAED vary).
Xanthan gum or arrowroot can be added to the mixture, creating an easier-to-apply gel.

I found the above when looking up the chemical makeup of Retr0bright.

There's actually a lot of information on un-yellowing clear plastic.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to start getting the ingredients together and see if it works.

Medsker

I figured the hitch was stock because it is the same on both. The red one has had a twenty gallon tank put under the rear so I can't see if the rear hitch mounts the same.

I really like the rear tire carrier except it looks like a pain to get to the tailgate. Not that I should have to get in the back often. It's been raining all day so I haven't been able to go over the red one and see exactly what I have. I know I shouldn't have but I bought it when it was dark. I figure the first thing I will do is check out the rear end. If I can fix that I can register and drive it while I work on the green one.

I just named the two of them Red and Green. That way I can write "Red" instead of "the red one". :)

Medsker

I've been on vacation the past few weeks but finally had some time to work on it yesterday. I did a few odds and ends and then I pulled the steering gear box, transmission, transfer case, and engine. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a engine hoist and a leveler which was much easier than a chain in the ceiling and a come-along. The steering column is bent pretty bad and I'm sure I'll have to replace it. I guess that is what happens when you try to pull the tub off by yourself :D

I did have an incredible motorcycle ride. I left here and drove up through Lake Tahoe. It snowed a little on me as I went around the lake but the roads never got slick. It was really cold though, I had to stop and buy a second set of thermals for my bottom half. Thanks goodness for heated gear on top. I then went up through Reno and stayed in Winnemucca (spelling?). I then drove up north through Snowville and then across to Pleasant View to spend some time with the family for a few days. On the way back I drove through Ely and then stayed in Beatty, NV The next day I drove around Death Valley looking at all of the flowers. They were beautiful. There were so many of them. It is amazing the desert can look like that. The whole trip was incredible. Anyway I thought some of you would like hearing about it.

Medsker

Attachments

• DSCN3164.jpg
    DSCN3164.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN3163.jpg
    DSCN3163.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 16