Ford Build Thread: FrED the Ford. '98 E350 7.3 4x4 The More We Explore's Adventure Van

sixstringsteve

Man, I'm humbled (but not surprised in the least bit) by all you guys. I really appreciate these comments, they mean the world. We're delaying posting the news on YouTube for obvious reasons (most of them being all the trolls), but RME has always been a second family to me. Thanks so much.

sixstringsteve

The Tundra is a good choice. It will be different than the van for sure but it is a good platform. What are you planning to do with the bikes? You can probably take out part of the rear seat (I think it's split 60/40) and put the fridge there. I was surprised to see Tundra and not 3.5 ecoboost transit van. I'm sure factory 4x4 had something to do with it and I know you've been missing your Toyotas. Good luck with the next chapter and let me know if you need a hand!

You know me well. I definitely have been missing my toyotas. While this van has been very reliable, diesels baffle me and I don't fully understand everything that's going on inside the engine. I get that they're supposed to be simple, but I'm no good at diagnosing them or knowing what's needed. Not that that's been an issue, but it's a weird feeling being clueless about the motor in fred.

I'm sure a tundra will have issues like any other vehicle, but I really like how reliable my toyotas have been in the past. They've been easy to work on, and it's easy to find info online about how to fix them. They're simple inside without a million bells and whistles, but these simple systems just keep on working day after day. Since I always buy used, long-term reliability is my top priority. I want to stay debt-free, so a car payment is not appealing to me.

My biggest challenge is figurting out what to do with the bikes. That one has me stumped. I don't want them outside, exposed to the elements, and I can't fit them in the Airstream. The bikes are our favorite part about traveling full-time, so they're not going anywhere. I think I'll start another thread brainstorming ideas for that. I've thought long and hard about it for years, and I can't imagine anything as good as the van for this.

The 3.5 ecoboost was an option, but 4x4 conversions cost $20-25k, which would put them in sprinter pricing. 4x4 sprinters have a 9 month wait after your deposit, and their engines are unnecessarily complex (but they sure are gorgeous vehicles). I feel like the ecoboost f150s are built well, but the transits just feel so cheap. They have a few annoying issues, and we'd be pushing it with the weight limit. There's no clear-cut solution. If I had a guarantee that I could get 250k trouble-free miles out of a new dually 4x4 sprinter, that's the route I'd go. But repairs are stupid expensive on those, and the 4x4 capability really isn't much to write home about. Lots of decisions.

Last edited:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I can't express how happy I am for you guys. I am trying to type how I feel and I can't put it into words. I know it was a struggle and have family dealing with the same stuff. I am overcome with gratitude.

sixstringsteve

Thanks Davy, you two are some of those parents that we keep saying we want to parent like. It's been fun to watch you interact with your kids, it has taught us so much already. We are excited.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Wow, Steve--that's fantastic news!!! I am so glad I clicked on this thread today (I admit I haven't followed it very closely over the last little while). Congrats to you both. I am genuinely excited and extremely happy for you.

Jesser04

I have a kid and I can’t imagine anything more comfortable to haul one in besides a van. There has been numerous occasions we have been in a car and the child needs attention so we either pull over or the wife climbs in the back. If I had a van she could stand up go back handle the kid anytime she wanted. The first 3ish years they’re in rear facing car seats which makes it difficult to help them. Not to mention if you guys are some where an the kid needs to go down for a nap the van has all the accommodations.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Wow I'm late to the party. Congrats! The only sure thing about becoming a parent is that you have no idea what to expect and there is no way to be ready emotionally for the experience. You can't prepare by watching others go through it or by researching. You just have to go through it. Stoked to see what life holds for you two and the new addition.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I know you have heard this a lot recently, but we are so happy for you and you are going to be amazing parents. Our girls absolutely adore both of you and still talk about how much it was when you guys driveway surfed at our place. Hope to catch up with you guys again soon.

J-mobzz

Well, today is a big day for the evolution of Fred. I just placed the order for a 24" high top from fiberine. It'll be here in a few weeks. I'll be installing it myself (with the help of at least 5 friends).

I'm going to need about 6 people to help install this beast. We estimeate it weighs aroudn 250-270 lbs.

Anyone interested in lending a hand or seeing a high top install first hand, you're invited to help. We'll be filming it for our YouTube channel. We're shooting for an install date of Nov 19th in the late afternoon, provided there aren't any delays in building and shipping the top out here. Post up if you're interested in joining.

I'm also looking for an air nibbler, or some electric shears for cutting sheet metal would be even better. Anyone have any of those?

I know you ended up having it installed but I’m curious if you decided on the type of sealant you would have used? I can’t really find anything good searching the web. I’m doing a high top install on my van this weekend if anyone wants to lend a hand.

1969honda

Supporting Member
I would think a wide gummy butyl rubber strip between roof and topper with silkaflex lay flat over the top and sides of the perimeter would seal the best. That's how trailer vents are sealed.🤷‍♂️